IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge June 2016

Note: This thread is 2856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Welcome to the "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge for June, 2016! The rules are the same as always:

• Make a somewhat detailed post describing your practice every day during the month.
  • No back-dating or pre-dating posts or practice sessions.
  • On the last day of the month, if you completed the challenge, post about it, preferably in red text or something so I can notice it and give you the award.

Detail what you did for at least five minutes of practice (indoors or out, with or without golf balls, etc.).

Enjoy and practice hard!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas pinned and featured this topic

Starting to become more comfortable with the "half" swing drills. A3 to A6 in super slow motion then a fast A6 through impact. My timing is better when using a mirror, but it seems to be working on actual swings as well. Holding lag through impact a little bit better, but I can feel it slipping after A6. Maybe that's natural? Impact feels more "solid", but not hitting the ground as hard as before from reduced forward press.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

6/1/16:

Worked on longer clubs transistion at the top making sure of smooth transistion and a slight pause at the top.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Can't swing today. Pulled a muscle in my upper back and swinging makes it worse as I found out yesterday. Did some work without a club though.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Range videos for Evolvr submission. Reviewed lesson summaries. After lots of prep, proceeded to make some videos that demonstrated less progress than I'd hoped, so perhaps my practice routine will change for June, based on feedback. Until then, it's A4 to A6 mapping and slow swings through the ball to confirm I can keep form. 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Backswing drill using mirrors FO and DTL inside using net and pitching via quickie pitching video method. 

Under construction, signature and game.

Watched some videos of Adam Scott to help with visualization with my swing. I have been a little out of sequence lately.

Putted for 15 minutes trying a "punch" stroke which seemed to work well. Someone brought me in a swell antique the other day which is actually pretty helpful...

20160601_180943.jpg

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Slow motion mirror work. Working on better turn on takeaway and exaggerated hands ahead of shaft at impact.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Practice putting with a nickle tapped to the putter. 
Mirror work with my backswing umbrella piece. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

While practicing a slower backswing I stumbled on to something that most of you guys probably already know but for me it was one of those epiphany moments.  

I've drilled the pause at the top of the back swing before but instead of pausing I was just taking slow back swing   then slightly faster and so on. Well somewhere in the middle I had the FEELing all of the sudden that I was gathering my back swing and then swinging down with lots of power.  The throwing a ball analogy is probably over used but the gathering felt like the pause of rearing back and loading.  Honestly I think my full swing has been lil more than a giant fast putting stroke hitting with speed but not power.  We will see where this goes.  Gathering the back swing even with chips seems to improve contact as well.

Summer golf season started with bang and fizzle.

Warmed up for 20 minutes and then played 18. Had several good shots, but then just flat missed several. Had back-do-back triple bogies on both nines. (On three of these holes, I put my driver shot in the fairway!)

I seem to have old swing versions creeping in here and there during a round. On No. 8, I had OTT and bad pulls on three straight shots. On No. 12, I slap slided my drive and my approach shot into trouble. (I normally don't have right misses.)

Wedge shots inconsistent.

After round, I ate lunch and rested for awhile. Then, I went out and did 3/4 swing calibration on my wedges. Wedge/swing matrix has several distance gaps. Course doesn't have enough level distance room on the range to do full shots, so I'll have to do that off to the side of No. 10 tee in late afternoon.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I took a weekend trip on short notice in the middle of last month that caused me to give up May's challenge, so let's try this again.

No time to hit balls today. I spent some minutes this evening rehearsing my stance and impact position while watching American Ninja Warrior. I'be been fighting severe toe shanks during my last few range sessions and practicing rounds, especially with the long clubs. I'm standing too far away from the ball, and holding my arms out too far in front of me at address. I feel like my hands are too close to my body when I address the ball with a long iron or metal club where my hands finish at impact, but if I'm remembering to rotate my body on the downswing, it's hard for me to get stuck.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I did mostly slow motion stuff today.  I did hit about 20 full shots.  Keys 1, 3, 4 and 5 feel like they're improving rapidly - Key 2, what I'm actually working on, going nowhere. 

Edited by Rainmaker

Something I have started doing after re-reading an article on a Major Nesmith is spending some time each day thinking about my swing.

From my address position to follow through after my club head has collided with the ball. I even mentally see the ball flight.  

So far, after mentally seeing my swing/ball flight, I have yet to hit a bad shot. :whistle:

In my version of this mental practice, I will focus on the items I think are important to my swing. Today it was swing plane, and staying on it though out my swing. .Yesterday is was wrist cock. Tomorrow I am going to think about my position at the top. 

The big plus is that I can do this anytime, and as many times as I want each day. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

6/2/16

Worked on putting for a bit this morning... Working on read bead and speed mostly. Picking a piece of grass a foot in front of me on my line.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Learned not to play a round when tired. All my core muscles, forearm and hand muscles are sore from hitting too many balls.

Doing some really slow mirror work to in grain my new swing changes. Didn't play too well yesterday. It's going to take some time to get back out on the course again. Will start early morning rounds with a co-miserable player when I get back from vacation. :-P

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Back down the indoor range working on my posture and tension in the swing. getting the back straighter and not stooping over the ball so much. Weight distribution (forwards/backwards) more even rather than fully forward.

Hi, My name is Matt.

Note: This thread is 2856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!