IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge July 2016

Note: This thread is 2786 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I took a club with me to the backyard while I was grilling chicken this evening. Taking what I felt was working at the range yesterday, I took some practice swings with a steep backswing and re-routing to a flatter plane on the downswing (as I had been doing), then took more practice swings where I took the club back on that flatter plane. I feel like my arms get stuck behind the body too easily with the flatter swing, so I'm not sure if I want to worry about changing what I'm more comfortable with at the moment.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

45 minutes at the range. Worked on takeaway more, as it started to feel awkward yesterday. Can't get used to the steepness going back suddenly- funny, cuz I thought I had that down after instructor gave me that piece.

Reviewed video for each shot- mostly soft shots out to about 75yds with a 7-iron. Still trying to get A4-A6 better. Having difficulty shallowing still, and club at A4 is still getting outside of my hands. Thought I was making better progress there too, but good reminder to keep reviewing past progress to solidify. Old habits are still close to the surface.

Next lesson to re-invigorate me is due back from instructor within a couple days. Might help get a fresh look at something. Tough few days, so maybe a fresh look will help refocus.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Putting into live practice what I've been working on the previous few days, I took 8-10 balls to the local practice green and worked on shorter pitching (30 yds or so) with hinging at the wrists and a fluid follow through down and through the ball. 

Honestly it was much more comfortable than anticipated. I did blade a few but I see promise with this. More of the same to come tomorrow

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

7/9/16:

Played Killer today. Killer is a putting game where you start with 6 balls at 3 feet... And go back at 3 foot increments until you get to 30 feet if you make your first putt you keep all six... The goal is to make all ten putts and still have a ball left at the end... I got to 18 feet and with only 1 ball left just couldn't make the putt...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

7/9/2016:

Short time in the front yard today with my lob wedge and 8 iron. Nothing major, just 5-10 minutes of slow backswings and downswings, and 10 shots or so with each club. 

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

Mirror work: rehearsing my transition move at the top of the swing in order to have some idea of visualizing what I'm feeling.

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

7/10: range work with pitching. Swing motion is feeling better, working at this point on distances (control) with the new pitch swing and it's various levels of backswing. Sorry for anyone actually reading these posts, I'm just working on the same things in different environments as time permits. Hopefully at the end of this month I will have changed my pitching and become more accurate with distances. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Small bucket at the range doing the gate drill with slower swings. Didn't film due to drizzle. At the end, I sped up the last few swings and did three full speed at the end. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

7/10/16:

Played 18 today. Started 6,5,6,5 (+6 thru 5)... Then proceeded to make 4 consecutive 4s (+1)... Then a triple on 9... Came out in 46... The second nine started 6,4 (+2), I made nice up and down pars on 12, 13 and 14... On 15 I hit a perfect drive... 60 yards from the flag... Knocked it to literally 2 1/2 feet made a birdie... Doubled 16, Bogeyed 17 and 18 for a 41 on the harder nine.... So an 87 today... I hit it really well. My 3h was shit, But I hit my 4h really well a few times... I actually hit one too far on 18 from 200...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Finally got back home and had a chance to take a couple swings after almost a week without practicing.  I have driven about 2000 miles in the last 2 days AND it was probably 120 degrees in the garage - but it felt "ok" . .considering, lol. 

I took about 10 swings with some waggling and path-tracing in between. .that's it.  I definitely made 5 minutes - definitely did not make 10.   

Chipping in the backyard for 15 minutes. I typically chop across the ball on short game shots, but as I'm swinging more consistently from the inside on full swings, it's probably a good idea to start striking the ball from the same angle on partial swings. I had to move the ball back in my stance compared to what I'm used to, but I'm working through that with every other club in my bag right now.

7/10/2016:

Spent about 5 minutes this evening in the hallway doing the wall drill, focusing on hip position and eliminating sway. Then went outside and practiced slow backswings with my PW and hit about 20 shots. I've noticed a lot of improvement in the start of my swing. It used to be all shoulders and arms, but now when I start my swing, it feels like my hips just start turning, without me having to think about it. Trying to make sure I don't lose this, and make sure they're turning correctly without any sway and that I'm getting a decent tilt at the top.

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

7/11- went to chip/putting greens at course close to work. Honestly, today sucked. My pace was off, not hitting my AimPoints, overall miserable 30 mins. BUT, not everyday will be a good one- at least I was out there and one day it'll pay off. 

-Jonny

I went to the driving range today.  I do all my "serious" practicing in my garage with a mat and net so when I go to the driving range it's usually for what I think of as an "assessment".  I don't really practice much - I just hit a medium bucket and see what it looks/feels like.  

I hit some wedges, 6, 7, 8 irons.  My 4w and a bunch of drivers.  It was "pretty good".  I do feel like I've slipped a little by not practicing at all last week.  Whatever it was that I did to carry my driver so far the last hole I played last week . .I didn't find it today on the range. 

I felt like my swing was good, the results were good - but I couldn't really "let loose" on the driver - it felt like I was leaving a good bit in the tank, like it often does, and the carry distances were similar - 220 or so. 

With the wedges, I felt like everything was working really well.  Great impact, great control.  I started playing a new range game - which is to see how far I can hit it right and still draw it back to the 100 yard flag.  I probably got it out to about 15-20 yards of draw with my wedge. 

I hit some high shots and some low ones, too.  Tomorrow I'll practice again and I'm going to try to play 18 either Weds or Thurs. 

7/11/16:

Worked on putting this morning. Specifically just trying to start my putts on line so they have a chance to go in... My speed was pretty good all day yesterday on the course... Just the line was a little off. With the club championship this weekend. I need to be pretty confident on the line. A lot of nGIR yesterday. Though I only actually hit 5 out of 18... Scoring was good considering that.... Gotta get rid of those others... Two doubles on the first three holes a triple on 9 and a double on 16... I could've easily bogeyed 2 and 3... Definitely could've bogeyed 9... And the double on 16 well was definitely an unforced error... That's 5 strokes right there... And I shot 87... So low 80s was in the picture. Stableford I think I broke even...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

7/11/2016:

Played with my son today, and just played from the front tees with him to practice tee shots with my irons (the par 3's at the course I've started playing are longer than I'm used to). Hit 4-6 iron off the tee all day, so most of my second shots were from the usual distance (just in the center of the fairway!). Ended up being a great practice round.

Jake

15 minutes mirror work. Focused on downswing plane in slow motion, hitting A5, A6 positions best I could.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Twenty more minutes of short game work, open-faced shots specifically. Trying to change my setup thought from what I'm used to (take stance, crank open the clubface, swing outside-in to the target) to one more consistent to other changes I'm working on (open clubface to target, take stance, swing in-line with where my body is aiming).

Note: This thread is 2786 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!