IGNORED

My son loves the M2 driver, but I can't afford it. Need ideas for a similar used driver.

Note: This thread is 2821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@macksmom

If you have a Sports Authority nearby, drop in and see what they have left from their "going out of business" sale.

SA carried quite a bit of TaylorMade Aeroburner and SLDR long clubs (fairway woods and hybrids). Some will be 50% off by now.

NH has stores in Nashua, Amherst, Salem and Manchester. Not sure if they have much left or not.

And, congrats on being a supportive parent! My dad and I had disagreement for years after I dumped little league baseball for golf.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, WUTiger said:

@macksmom

If you have a Sports Authority nearby, drop in and see what they have left from their "going out of business" sale.

SA carried quite a bit of TaylorMade Aeroburner and SLDR long clubs (fairway woods and hybrids). Some will be 50% off by now.

NH has stores in Nashua, Amherst, Salem and Manchester. Not sure if they have much left or not.

And, congrats on being a supportive parent! My dad and I had disagreement for years after I dumped little league baseball for golf.

Great idea for new stuff. I'd start out offering the 20 cents on the dollar. They'll be giving it to liquidators eventually so they might be willing.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

On July 11, 2016 at 10:16 PM, WUTiger said:

@macksmom

Thank you. I went there last weekend and there was very little left. They had some woods, but they were still way over priced compared to online. I came home with some ball markers, a towel and some other stuff, but that's it. 

Hi! I haven't been on this website in about 7 years but I was reading a thread about a putter here and decided to click on this equipment forum and saw this post and was compelled to find my old password and help out, because no one here has properly suggested a cheaper alternative.

I was a master fitter, and the only really relevant thing when it comes to driver performance (in terms of head, not shaft) is the CG location. Basically, where the CG is on a head determines all aspects of how it performs.

M2 is not a special driver in this regard, there any many drivers very similar to it, both current models and past models. Therefore we can easily find a cheap alternative that will perform just as well for him.

I will come up with this list soon, but first I need to ask you is M2 the driver that he gets the best performance with? Or just the one that he "likes" due to some other reason such as look/feel/sound. I will make a list of drivers that will perform similarly, but ask him if he gets his best numbers with M2. If he doesn't know make sure he goes to a golf shop and tries some others under the eye of a fitter and report back with which one he actually performs best with and then I can find a cheaper alternative to that.

When he goes to the shop, make sure he informs them that the tee height needs to be the right height. This is extremely important. A shot that is hit half an inch too low on the face will greatly change performance, more than any different driver would do.

Ok after some research, I have found that the Cobra Fly-Z+ from 2015 with the weight flipped back is the most similar driver to M2. It also offers the advantage of more adjustability to decrease spin if needed by putting the weight forward. This was arguably the best driver of 2015, and Cobra stuff depreciates like crazy, you can pick them up on ebay for $130-$140

• Upvote 1

Have a circa 62 putter at 34.5 inches I believe. It would have to be re-shafted I imagine since he is shorter than myself.  

It is an older putter but it was gamer till I got the new Newport. I intended on sending it to the custom shop but I'd like to put one of the more classic putter Scotty has made into the bag of a kid that will definitely use it. 

How about checking out the clone club companies.  Gigagolf and Diamond Tour Golf are two companies that allow you to buy clone clubs that have some of the same features as the current clubs built by the major manufacturers.  Clone clubs are not counterfeit clubs; they are completely legal, and they're quality clubs for a substantial savings.  Additionally, most of the clone companies allow you to put in your son's measurements and custom fit the clubs to his needs.  You can buy an entire brand new set of quality irons, hybrids, fairway woods, and driver, for about one quarter of the cost of major OEM clubs. 

Edited by Orionflyer
Additional information

Wedges.... you can check out Callaway Preowned online too. 

I think you might have the driver taken care of, but if you don't, you can still get a Cobra Amp Cell Pro driver online direct from Cobra new for $179. Fly-Z+ new for $219. The reason they depreciate like that is that they don't have the huge sponsorships like TaylorMade, Titleist, and Callaway. Ping never discounts.

The Cobra fairway woods have mojo. So don't overlook those. Last year's models are really nice. I still use my Amp Cell. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

6 minutes ago, macksmom said:

Hi everyone! Thank you all for your super helpful comments! Mack and I really appreciate it!

It turns out that @RandallT, @iacas and the rest of The Sand Trap staff helped us out with an awesome driver! You may recall that RandallT was awarded a new driver for his work in putting together The Newport Cup. Well, he decided to "pay it forward" and help my son by giving him his slightly pre-owned driver - a Taylormade SLDR! It arrived today and Mack loves it and can't wait to bring it out on the range tomorrow. 

This pretty much rounds out his club set. He now has a driver, and a local course owner is loaning him a 3 and 5 wood and a sand wedge. I bought him some pre-owned Titleist irons. He has a putter, but I told him that if he makes the high school team, I will buy him an Odyssey putter he likes. (Good incentive.) He needs a bag and shoes, but I heard the high school team members might get bags for free. I can handle the shoes and will look for some deals online.

So again, thank you very much for the suggestions, and a BIG THANK YOU to RandallT, iacas and The Sand Trap!

Here are a couple of videos of the unboxing. Mack is very appreciative, and we will start a swing thread soon if you'd like to keep up with his playing. :)

FANTASTIC!!!

Nice work @RandallT, @iacas. @macksmom, all power to you for making things happen. #awesomemom

Good luck champ! Swing looks VERY promising in the video on the previous page.  

• Upvote 3

Vishal S.

19 hours ago, dsal89 said:

Have a circa 62 putter at 34.5 inches I believe. It would have to be re-shafted I imagine since he is shorter than myself.  

It is an older putter but it was gamer till I got the new Newport. I intended on sending it to the custom shop but I'd like to put one of the more classic putter Scotty has made into the bag of a kid that will definitely use it. 

That's so nice of you! He is just past my height now, so I'd say he's closing in on 5'8". He's finally in men's clubs. He has his eyes on a certain Odyssey putter, so I am probably going to buy it for him. I told him I would if he makes the golf team. (I will buy it no matter what, but it's good incentive for him.) I can get one online for $99. At least I know he won't outgrow it now. :)
Thank you again!

1 hour ago, Orionflyer said:

How about checking out the clone club companies.  Gigagolf and Diamond Tour Golf are two companies that allow you to buy clone clubs that have some of the same features as the current clubs built by the major manufacturers.  Clone clubs are not counterfeit clubs; they are completely legal, and they're quality clubs for a substantial savings.  Additionally, most of the clone companies allow you to put in your son's measurements and custom fit the clubs to his needs.  You can buy an entire brand new set of quality irons, hybrids, fairway woods, and driver, for about one quarter of the cost of major OEM clubs. 

I didn't know that. Thank you! Good to know for in the future. 

1 minute ago, GolfLug said:

FANTASTIC!!!

Nice work @RandallT, @iacas. @macksmom, all power to you for making things happen. #awesomemom

Thank you! I can't always tell with his swing, but because Mack has a hearing/speech disability, he has incredible visual skills. He can pick out things about his swing or others that I don't even see. 
Anyway, any time someone sees him swing they say, "Don't let anyone mess with his swing"... so I guess that says something. :)

7 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

FANTASTIC!!!

Concur.  Except..."Are you gonna kiss it?"  Oh my God mom!?!  

Lol, great stuff.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

6 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Concur.  Except..."Are you gonna kiss it?"  Oh my God mom!?!  

Lol, great stuff.

I was just screwing with him.
Part of my right as a parent is to embarrass my children. ;)
It makes up for the terrible twos.

• Upvote 2

Love the videos, @macksmom! As you've said, the thanks go to the Newport Cup (and everyone who set all that up, including the contest). From what I saw, that event took a lot of work to pull off. I wasn't staff then, just a humble recipient of a prize that freed up the driver you just received. We just hope it goes to good use! Good luck!!!

• Upvote 4

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

That's great he got a driver. BUT, the SLDR is the least forgiving 460 cc driver made in recent times. Very different than the M2. Definitely don't recommend it for a kid.

Here's some Fly-Z+'s being sold for $100 if you want to look: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1362114-two-fly-z-drivers-and-ping-stretch-3/

Also his swing is perfect. Just work hard and hit the gym!

10 hours ago, RandallT said:

Love the videos, @macksmom! As you've said, the thanks go to the Newport Cup (and everyone who set all that up, including the contest). From what I saw, that event took a lot of work to pull off. I wasn't staff then, just a humble recipient of a prize that freed up the driver you just received. We just hope it goes to good use! Good luck!!!

Ah, I tried to word it correctly. ;)
Thank you to The Newport Cup and everyone who helped with it! 
And thank you again, Randy. :)

15 minutes ago, ksinghvirk said:

That's great he got a driver. BUT, the SLDR is the least forgiving 460 cc driver made in recent times. Very different than the M2. Definitely don't recommend it for a kid.

Here's some Fly-Z+'s being sold for $100 if you want to look: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1362114-two-fly-z-drivers-and-ping-stretch-3/

Also his swing is perfect. Just work hard and hit the gym!

Thanks for the input! He took it on the range today and seemed to be hitting it pretty well. It's hard to say how far. I don't have a range finder (That's on my wish list for Christmas this year!) I know he hit one past the 230 yard marker. I will be uploading videos of him using the driver tonight. 

• Upvote 1

I hate to tell you this but that M2 really is "All that".I was fortunate I got mine for $250 barely used but my lack of distance and high ball spin called for that driver.It may not be the right fit for him.Once he plays with the Sldr he will know if its right for him.Since hes just starting about anything will do the trick.

1 hour ago, Aflighter said:

I hate to tell you this but that M2 really is "All that".I was fortunate I got mine for $250 barely used but my lack of distance and high ball spin called for that driver.It may not be the right fit for him.Once he plays with the Sldr he will know if its right for him.Since hes just starting about anything will do the trick.

He hit some today with the SLDR and seemed to like it a lot. He's still getting used to being in men's clubs now. 

Mack hit some balls at the range with the SLDR driver for the first time today. If anyone is interested, he put some video in his new My Swing thread.

Note: This thread is 2821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!