IGNORED

Posting a solo score at a scramble?

Elmer
Note: This thread is 2844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So Saturday I was playing a cancer charity scramble. I am usually a filler who is used to round out a team. So as usual I played with 3 strangers, 2 who knew each other. We finished the front 9 at 4 under and it started to rain, and rain and then rain some more. Then the thunder and lighting passed through so the course kept us in the club house until the storm passed. During this time 1/2 of my team baled because they had been out drinking all night.
The remaining guy was on the fence as he had a 3 hour drive home. I told him repeatedly "if you have to go, go" as I could jump in to round out another team. It seems a bunch of people left leaving alot of 3's on the course.
But he said he would stick around and we would each play 2 balls for the remainder of the scramble. We get the 10th Tee and there is 3 groups in front of us teeing on. My partner starts hemming and hawing about his drive home. I told him "do what you have to do". So when we were on deck, he shakes my hand and takes his bag and leaves. now I am a team of 1 in a 4 man scramble.
I begin talking to team in front of me explaining what has happened. I told them I felt it was unreasonable for me to go out of hit 4 balls all by myself, but I would just go play a round of 9 since I was already there.
The group offered to let me play with them this way I would not be alone and they could verify my score. Otherwise what is to stop me from getting an eagle on every hole?
So I joined up with the team in front of me and I let them play their scramble and I played only 1 ball.
Finished the back nine +4, bringing my "team" score to even.

I later spoke to the director of the tournament who indicated had I known ahead of time he could have placed me with another group. No matter, because -14 was the winning score and I was there for the fun.

However considering I played 9 holes within the rules of Golf and I had people there to verify my score. Can I post my 9 solo holes to my handicap?

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't see why not. Did you plan to play it as such when you started the nine? Then I'd say go ahead. 

It's a shame so many people bailed on you like that. I enjoy a good scramble, but often they do take too long, especially if you add in a rain delay. 

- Mark

1 hour ago, Braivo said:

I don't see why not. Did you plan to play it as such when you started the nine? Then I'd say go ahead. 

It's a shame so many people bailed on you like that. I enjoy a good scramble, but often they do take too long, especially if you add in a rain delay. 

not only the rain delay, but the course became cart path only which people complained about. I did play 1 hole in a downpour and 2 holes in a steady rain.

When I began the 9 I was not sure what I was going to do. I discussed it with group I jumped in with. Does a solo scramble team get to hit all 4 shots until he finds one he likes? Do you hit 2?
Considering that 4 guys tee'd off and then I went, I did not want to hold them up. 
I hit a conservative drive and played my ball where it ended.
Which stunk because at least twice I ended up having to chip from behind or under a tree.

In my Grom:

Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

1 hour ago, Braivo said:

It doesn't matter if he planned it or not.  He played 9 holes by the rules with other people, and that's all that's required.  Post away.

• Upvote 2

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

30 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

It doesn't matter if he planned it or not.  He played 9 holes by the rules with other people, and that's all that's required.  Post away.

My understanding is there needs to be some sort of declaration before the round that it will be used for handicap purposes. This prevents people from starting a round as a "practice round" only to have things go their way and decide to score it for handicap, or vice versa. 

So if you were to start a round planning to play it as a scramble perhaps, only to find later that you'd been following the rules of golf for a few holes and decided to score it, I'm not sure that's how it works. 

I am not certain in my assessment at all, btw. 

- Mark

Nothing of the sort is needed.  It has been occasionally posted on this forum that you have to declare something, but nothing in the handicap rules says anything about it.  The only real requirement is that if you play a legitimate round by the rules of golf and the handicap rules, then you are required to post it.  So I'd say that not only is Elmer allowed to post, he is required to post it.

Two basic premises underlie the USGA Handicap System, namely that each player will try to make the best score at every hole in every round, regardless of where the round is played, and that the player will post every acceptable round for peer review. The player and the player's Handicap Committee have joint responsibility for adhering to these premises.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I haven't ever heard anyone I have played with actually declare to anyone that they are playing for handicap purposes.  I was always under the assumption that if you are playing a round of golf by the rules, and you are playing with at least one other person then it should be entered.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Braivo said:

My understanding is there needs to be some sort of declaration before the round that it will be used for handicap purposes. This prevents people from starting a round as a "practice round" only to have things go their way and decide to score it for handicap, or vice versa. 

So if you were to start a round planning to play it as a scramble perhaps, only to find later that you'd been following the rules of golf for a few holes and decided to score it, I'm not sure that's how it works. 

Like the others have said, the "default" is that if you play by the rules, and play with another person, the round is required to be posted.  The only declaration would come if you were NOT planning to post.  You might tell your playing partner that you're going to carry 20 clubs so you can try some different ones, or you're planning to hit extra shots along the way to evaluate potential shot selections for the future, both of which remove it from the RoG.  

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

20 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Like the others have said, the "default" is that if you play by the rules, and play with another person, the round is required to be posted.  The only declaration would come if you were NOT planning to post.  You might tell your playing partner that you're going to carry 20 clubs so you can try some different ones, or you're planning to hit extra shots along the way to evaluate potential shot selections for the future, both of which remove it from the RoG.  

I know a guy who carries 17, but 20 seems excessive. Not sure I have room in my bag for 20, not sure I even own 20? for the record I only carry 13.

But I am not sure I have ever declared anything prior to playing. Most people I know or play with dont think of golf in terms of playing for handicapping purposes. Than again most people I play with would not think twice if I dropped a second ball and played it.

Thanks for all the input. I am going to post the 9 hole score since It was played by the rules

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Note: This thread is 2844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!