IGNORED

Playing a tournament in August

TheGoose
Note:Β This thread is 2825 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Hello Guys n Gals,

I'm newly registered to the Forum here, but have been reading threads and advice for quite some time. I registered because I'm wondering if anyone has some helpful advice for me.

I'm registered for an amateur tournament which is August 12-13th, there should be around 120 players playing in it, and the top 30 players make the cut to go on and play in the champion ship rounds which is the following weekend.

I'm a decent golfer, can score in the 80's now fairly consistently, I'm asking if anyone here has any experience with these amateur tournaments, and any helpful advice is definitely welcome. It's a shortish course at only 6000 yards Par 69. I've been playing it a lot of late. I seem to get the yips on 2 of the par 3's on the back, which have ruined my score to around an 89 the last 2 times i've played it. From last years scores it appears the projected cut line is around 84.

Any help would be great for preparing for this thing. I wanna prove to my girlfriend I'm not wasting my money on this game.

The Goose

21 hours ago, TheGoose said:

... I seem to get the yips on 2 of the par 3's on the back, which have ruined my score to around an 89 the last 2 times I've played it...

When you say "the yips", I assume you have trouble putting on the two greens and it is not your approach shot. Β Most of us feel better about putting up hill and relatively straight. Β My suggestion is attempt to leave your tee shot in a position where you have a chip or first putt that is up hill and relatively straight. Β You willΒ not always succeed but that probably should be your game plan.

Also, if this is your first tournament, learn the basic Rules as theyΒ relateΒ to taking relief forΒ Unplayable, Water Hazard, Lateral Water Hazard, Ground Under Repair andΒ Immoveable Obstruction. Β Be prepared to hit a Provisional when your ball is potentially Lost orΒ Out of Bounds. Β Your fellow competitors may be able to assist you with Rules issues but understand that often other players are ignorant of the Rules, too.

Finally, don't build your expectations too high. Β Making the "cut" would be great but few of us succeed in our first competition. Β Play in the event for the challenge, do your best and don't be too concerned about making or missing the "cut". Β There will be other events.Β 

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll cut right to the chase....

Enjoy the tournament experience, but you'llΒ never prove to any woman that you're not wasting money on golf, that you could be spending on her! Β 

Welcome to the forum! Β :beer:

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On 7/19/2016 at 9:02 AM, TheGoose said:

Hello Guys n Gals,

I'm newly registered to the Forum here, but have been reading threads and advice for quite some time. I registered because I'm wondering if anyone has some helpful advice for me.

I'm registered for an amateur tournament which is August 12-13th, there should be around 120 players playing in it, and the top 30 players make the cut to go on and play in the champion ship rounds which is the following weekend.

I'm a decent golfer, can score in the 80's now fairly consistently, I'm asking if anyone here has any experience with these amateur tournaments, and any helpful advice is definitely welcome. It's a shortish course at only 6000 yards Par 69. I've been playing it a lot of late. I seem to get the yips on 2 of the par 3's on the back, which have ruined my score to around an 89 the last 2 times i've played it. From last years scores it appears the projected cut line is around 84.

Any help would be great for preparing for this thing. I wanna prove to my girlfriend I'm not wasting my money on this game.

The Goose

Are you trying to become a pro player?Β  If not then entertainment and exercise isn't a waste of money imo.

8 minutes ago, Strandly said:

Are you trying to become a pro player?Β  If not then entertainment and exercise isn't a waste of money imo.

That would be ideal. I played from 12 until 17, but stopped playing until last year, when I was 28, and was shooting in the 100's. This year i've been able to score in the 80's consistently. I've really worked on my ball striking, which i feel is in a good place. I believe my weaknesses to be my patience, focus, and course management. My putting can sometimes hurt my score as well. I string together lots of pars and get some birds during a round, but i can't seem to avoid a couple disaster holes, and i tend to put a lot of pressure on myself which leads to frustration.

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

I'll cut right to the chase....

Enjoy the tournament experience, but you'llΒ never prove to any woman that you're not wasting money on golf, that you could be spending on her! Β 

Welcome to the forum! Β :beer:

I'll keep that in mind. Maybe show her that reply!

2 hours ago, TheGoose said:

Β I believe my weaknesses to be my patience, focus, and course management. My putting can sometimes hurt my score as well. I string together lots of pars and get some birds during a round, but i can't seem to avoid a couple disaster holes, and i tend to put a lot of pressure on myself which leads to frustration.

I can't help you with patience or focus but if you have been playing there a lot, you should have a pretty good idea of what to hit on each hole.Β  You should know where the hazards are, the bunkers and how bad the rough can be.

To help with the blow up holes, do not try any hero shots and swing with a smooth stroke.Β  If you do get into trouble think of how to get out with minimal strokes and back in play.Β  A bogey is always better than a snowman!Β  This is how I have been able to shoot in the 80's.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: MiuraΒ MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno:Β MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

On 7/19/2016 at 11:02 AM, TheGoose said:

Hello Guys n Gals,

The Goose

I'm guessing you have probably read this as well, but long putters and belly putters are often helpful when dealing with tremors.

ProVictoryOPT_logo.jpg

13 minutes ago, KarenS said:

I'm guessing you have probably read this as well, but long putters and belly putters are often helpful when dealing with tremors.

However, anchoring them, as they were designed to be used,Β is no longer allowed under the rules....

In David's bag....

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind

(edited)

So I played the course yesterday evening, was only able to get in 10 Holes because of a massive storm that came in. I scored a 41 on the front, but again on a Par 3, was on in 1, and 4 putted! It's really a confidence breaker when that happens. I did purchase a sand wedge which I hadn't replaced in a while, bought the Callaway Mack Daddy 2 56 degree, and hit some nice shots to get onto the green with it, that was at the least encouraging.

Edited by TheGoose

Last season I entered some tournaments in the local amateur circuit for the first time. It took a few rounds to get the swing of things - how to handle odd local rules, what to do if they change tee times that morning. It just takes awhile to get comfortable.

My advice: this first time justΒ enjoy the experience. If you make the cut, that's great. If you don't, chalk it up to learning.

(One item: after the first round, just hit a few balls to correct something specificΒ you had problems with. If you pound out 400 balls after the round, you'll be too tired to swing a clubΒ by the back 9 on Day 2.)

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

On 7/21/2016 at 9:39 AM, David in FL said:

However, anchoring them, as they were designed to be used,Β is no longer allowed under the rules....

I did not know that. Was that a recent change?

ProVictoryOPT_logo.jpg

Just now, KarenS said:

I know they did it for the PGA. Not certain if that took effect for regional circuits.

18 minutes ago, KarenS said:

Just checked it out, the USGA and R & A banned them completely from competition beginning January 2016. Not sure what that means for me yet. I'm in Canada.

8 minutes ago, TheGoose said:

Just checked it out, the USGA and R & A banned them completely from competition beginning January 2016. Not sure what that means for me yet. I'm in Canada.

You play by the same rules as we all do. Β Anchoring is no longer permitted under the rules of golf.

In David's bag....

If this is your first medal tournament, just go out and enjoy the experience of competing. But take note on how you react to the pressure or anxietyΒ of knowing everything you do now counts and use it for next time.

Some things to consider:

-Be mindful of course management. If you're in trouble after a shot, make sure you get out of it first and go from there.Β Try to stay away from hero shots. Thats where a big number canΒ come from.

-Know your limits and don't put undue pressure on yourself to perform. You'll enjoy the experience more if you're relaxed.Β 

-Remember your playing for your score, not anyone elses. So don't try to impress anyone. Get the ball in the hole as smartly as you can.Β 

Good luck!Β 

• Upvote 1

On 7/21/2016 at 9:53 AM, TheGoose said:

So I played the course yesterday evening, was only able to get in 10 Holes because of a massive storm that came in. I scored a 41 on the front, but again on a Par 3, was on in 1, and 4 putted! It's really a confidence breaker when that happens.

41 sounds like a great front 9 for an 18 handicap, well done!Β 

In my experience, most 3 or 4 putts don't happen because you missed your line or read, they come from poor distance control. Β Its hard to miss a putt by 5 feet to the side, Β its not nearly so difficult to hit it 5 feet too long or short. Β I'd suggest you practice distance putting when you get a chance. Β Search the instruction forum, I'm sure you'll find a few drills for it.

Beyond that advice, you've already read anything I'd suggest. Β So go out, relax as best you can, try to enjoy the feeling of pressure you'llΒ no doubt feel, and have fun. Β 

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

5 hours ago, TheGoose said:

Sounds like an excellent blog topic! Somebody needs to research that. :)

ProVictoryOPT_logo.jpg

Note:Β This thread is 2825 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!