IGNORED

Bicep/elbow pain after lifting

minitour
Note: This thread is 2800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After lifting "heavy" (for me) on bicep day (and I've shut down the golf for the year after a whopping 4 rounds, so I can tolerate some soreness...time to hit it hard), I get really intense pain at the bottom of my bicep on the inside of my elbow any time I try to extend my arm.  If I keep it bent at 90º, it's fine, but the minute I pass about 120º it hurts like nobody's business.  It last about 3-4 days then it's fine again until the next time I lift "heavy" (again, for me...).  

1) It's not DOMS, I've experienced both and this one is different.  

2) I don't really have the luxury of taking a bunch of time off from the gym.  I get the chance to go when I get the chance to go, so I need to capitalize on it.

3) Other thoughts?

1 hour ago, minitour said:

2) I don't really have the luxury of taking a bunch of time off from the gym. 

Why not? Sounds like you should stop. 

Schedule a doctor's appointment, get an MRI, go from there. In the meantime, rest it and ice it so you don't make it worse. Take an aleve. Once you get the MRI results, you'll know whether it's serious or not.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, minitour said:

I asked for other thoughts, not thoughts on taking the time off.  As I said, I don't have that luxury.

Oxycontin? 

Lol, why risk making it worse? You could turn a 2 month injury into a six month one. 

Constantine

The pain is there for a reason. If don't know why it's there you should go find out. Just because feels ok after a few days, doesn't mean it really is. 

Perhaps you could (at your own risk) ask another lifter to watch how you are lifting. Perhaps you are lifting the wrong way. 

I had a similar problem of limited movement in my shoulder a few weeks ago. It would have been non painful, with normal movement restored after a few days rest. I went to the doc anyways. Found out some other problem, some where else in the joint was causing the pain that wouldn't let me do more than normal everyday movements with my arm. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

6 hours ago, minitour said:

Why do I even bother... :doh:

6 hours ago, minitour said:

I asked for other thoughts, not thoughts on taking the time off.  As I said, I don't have that luxury.

1. You've come to an internet forum for medical advice.................? :doh:

2. Most people on here are not doctors. And even most doctors won't give you any advice without a consultation.

3. You given a piddly amount of detail.

4. What answer are you EXPECTING? Some type of crazy crackpot movement exercise that's going to make it go away? For eating some "next best thing" vitamin that is supposed to cure the world of all pain?

Sorry, but what you've asked and how you've responded thus far have been equally ridiculous.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Just now, jkelley9 said:

1. You've come to an internet forum for medical advice.................? :doh:

2. Most people on here are not doctors. And even most doctors won't give you any advice without a consultation.

3. You given a piddly amount of detail.

4. What answer are you EXPECTING? Some type of crazy crackpot movement exercise that's going to make it go away? For eating some "next best thing" vitamin that is supposed to cure the world of all pain?

Sorry, but what you've asked and how you've responded thus far have been equally ridiculous.

1) No, I just asked for thoughts.  I wouldn't ask for medical advice from someone who isn't a medical professional.

2) Because of this.

3) Then by all means, ask questions if you feel you need more information to provide "other thoughts".

4) Not "take time off" when I specifically mentioned that wasn't happening.  

Sorry, but your reading comprehension needs work.

4 hours ago, Patch said:

The pain is there for a reason. If don't know why it's there you should go find out. Just because feels ok after a few days, doesn't mean it really is. 

Perhaps you could (at your own risk) ask another lifter to watch how you are lifting. Perhaps you are lifting the wrong way. 

I had a similar problem of limited movement in my shoulder a few weeks ago. It would have been non painful, with normal movement restored after a few days rest. I went to the doc anyways. Found out some other problem, some where else in the joint was causing the pain that wouldn't let me do more than normal everyday movements with my arm. 

Interesting.  I hadn't considered that it might be a problem elsewhere.  Thanks, I'll look into it.

3 minutes ago, minitour said:

1) No, I just asked for thoughts.  I wouldn't ask for medical advice from someone who isn't a medical professional.

2) Because of this.

3) Then by all means, ask questions if you feel you need more information to provide "other thoughts".

4) Not "take time off" when I specifically mentioned that wasn't happening.  

Sorry, but your reading comprehension needs work.

Sorry, but it's glaringly obvious that you're either a teenager or really, really misguided.

Best of luck in... whatever happens to you. 

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Here are some thoughts...

Does it hurt when you are doing bigger movements? IE: pulling exercises like pull-ups, rows, or even hang cleans? 

Maybe you need to layoff the isolated small muscle work and do these bigger movements (if it doesn't hurt) until you can heal properly. Doing the bigger movements still works the biceps without putting that specific strain you would get while doing a heavy set of preacher curls. 

If the pain is present during the functional movements, then you need to really find out if you have a strained tendon, a tear, or something else. 

Edited by TourSpoon

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

• 1 month later...

After lifting "heavy" (for me) on bicep day (and I've shut down the golf for the year after a whopping 4 rounds, so I can tolerate some soreness...time to hit it hard), I get really intense pain at the bottom of my bicep on the inside of my elbow any time I try to extend my arm.  If I keep it bent at 90º, it's fine, but the minute I pass about 120º it hurts like nobody's business.  It last about 3-4 days then it's fine again until the next time I lift "heavy" (again, for me...).  

1) It's not DOMS, I've experienced both and this one is different.  

2) I don't really have the luxury of taking a bunch of time off from the gym.  I get the chance to go when I get the chance to go, so I need to capitalize on it.

3) Other thoughts?

This is a great question for this section of the forum!

I love that you have so much detail regarding the issues you are running into.  I would have to agree with some of the others here.  If it feels like a 8,9,10 on a pain scale of 1-10 you should probably get it checked by a doc.

I am a personal trainer and Golf Fitness Coach.  I think many times our workouts need to be tweaked to reflect our true goal.  With all the effort you are putting into understanding the challenge you face, it is clear that you care about getting this resolved so you can get back out there and crush it! I am curious why you do a specific arm day for golf related training?

My initial thoughts and what I do with my clients are focus on the main compound lifts.  These lifts should be performed in all three planes of motion.  Especially, the transverse plane (think rotational like your golf swing).  This will help decrease the intensity of work on your bicep directly.  It will also help you build other core muscles which are critical to enhancing your performance! 

Basically - lay off the things that upset the elbow and work on other things that will make you a better golfer and enhance your game!  Using more core training and functional training in contrast to the bodybuilder style will dramatically help your game!

Here is a general breakdown of a workout I would do with other golf clients.

After a 10-15 min. warm up start with an explosive movement if the golfer is experienced. 

Something like staggered stance KB swings  (in your case I might skip an explosive movement until the elbow issue is resolved or "quiet" for a while.

Golf stance squat, rotate and press with DB's - 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps

Rotational Deadlift and Rows with DB's or sandbag 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps

Varied hand position push ups with 3D knee drivers 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps

3 way pull ups with some sort of bridging exercise - 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps.

If you are not very familiar with fitness terms or some of the exercises I mentioned just contact me and I'll send you some videos. 

Hope this helps!

Best,

Golffitcoach

Note: This thread is 2800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!