IGNORED

Better Than Pepper Spray

Patch
Note: This thread is 2820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Read a little article that a good home security measure one can have on hand is a can Wasp/Hornet spray. Police say it's better than pepper spray.

The stream shoots  farther, up to 20-30 feet, and is more accurate. Pepper spray is not as accurate and has less distance, which allows the bad person to get closer to you.

What's even better, if sprayed in the eyes, the attacker, in most cases has to go to an ER for relief of the temporary blindness, an pain.  If sprayed in the mouth, nose area, there is also an antidote available.

Something to think about I suppose as an added deterant. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What? No one going to bite? Lol

In My Bag:

3 hours ago, Patch said:

What? No one going to bite? Lol

Maybe they'll sting instead...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

WARNING - liberal here.

Wasp spray?

1) Wasp spray - you are using it off label for self-defense. Wasp spray is an insecticide that contains poisons and has a label - "It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling." You used it inside your home for self-defense. There is a likelihood that the attacker is still alive by the time the police arrived. The fact that you used a product illegally will come out during discovery and you could be sued in civil court by the scumbag's family even though the scumbag goes to jail. You could also be fined by the EPA.

2) It could be more harmful or less effective than anticipated. 

But wait! They make pepper spray in canisters that fit inside a pistol shaped object, and they make "water rounds" you can practice with.

mace-pepper-gun-refills.gif

1) Advantage - you've practiced hitting stationary objects at 25' with this, right? 

2) It's effective even if you don't get a shot directly to the face due to the quantity sprayed.

3) It will temporarily incapacitate your attacker if you hit anywhere above the breast bone.

4) Disadvantage - Depending upon where you deploy it inside your home, you may not have an avenue of escape. The capsaicin fumes may also affect you indoors. 

5) This weapon is best used to temporarily disable an attacker outdoors so that you may escape to safety.

So what is the best weapon for home defense? Every single bad guy knows the sound of someone racking the slide on a Mossberg (available with an 18.5" barrel). Your state laws may be differ. Washington is a "stand your ground" state. Some not so free states, are duty to retreat states, or have vague castle doctrines. This is very important to know because it affects what can happen to you if you happen to need to actually shoot the scumbag. In a "stand your ground" state, you have solid protection against liability. In the not so free states, even if you are not criminally prosecuted, you can lose everything you have in civil court (yes the scumbag's family sometimes can sue you). Know your state laws regarding self-defense.

Due to the recoil on a shotgun, or if you want to use any firearm for self-defense I would highly recommend that you learn gun safety and practice regularly with it. Shooting firearms, like playing golf is a perishable skill.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

On August 10, 2016 at 10:23 PM, Patch said:

Read a little article that a good home security measure one can have on hand is a can Wasp/Hornet spray. Police say it's better than pepper spray.

The stream shoots  farther, up to 20-30 feet, and is more accurate. Pepper spray is not as accurate and has less distance, which allows the bad person to get closer to you.

What's even better, if sprayed in the eyes, the attacker, in most cases has to go to an ER for relief of the temporary blindness, an pain.  If sprayed in the mouth, nose area, there is also an antidote available.

Something to think about I suppose as an added deterant. 

On August 12, 2016 at 5:20 PM, DrvFrShow said:

WARNING - liberal here.

Wasp spray?

1) Wasp spray - you are using it off label for self-defense. Wasp spray is an insecticide that contains poisons and has a label - "It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling." You used it inside your home for self-defense. There is a likelihood that the attacker is still alive by the time the police arrived. The fact that you used a product illegally will come out during discovery and you could be sued in civil court by the scumbag's family even though the scumbag goes to jail. You could also be fined by the EPA.

2) It could be more harmful or less effective than anticipated. 

But wait! They make pepper spray in canisters that fit inside a pistol shaped object, and they make "water rounds" you can practice with.

mace-pepper-gun-refills.gif

1) Advantage - you've practiced hitting stationary objects at 25' with this, right? 

2) It's effective even if you don't get a shot directly to the face due to the quantity sprayed.

3) It will temporarily incapacitate your attacker if you hit anywhere above the breast bone.

4) Disadvantage - Depending upon where you deploy it inside your home, you may not have an avenue of escape. The capsaicin fumes may also affect you indoors. 

5) This weapon is best used to temporarily disable an attacker outdoors so that you may escape to safety.

So what is the best weapon for home defense? Every single bad guy knows the sound of someone racking the slide on a Mossberg (available with an 18.5" barrel). Your state laws may be differ. Washington is a "stand your ground" state. Some not so free states, are duty to retreat states, or have vague castle doctrines. This is very important to know because it affects what can happen to you if you happen to need to actually shoot the scumbag. In a "stand your ground" state, you have solid protection against liability. In the not so free states, even if you are not criminally prosecuted, you can lose everything you have in civil court (yes the scumbag's family sometimes can sue you). Know your state laws regarding self-defense.

Due to the recoil on a shotgun, or if you want to use any firearm for self-defense I would highly recommend that you learn gun safety and practice regularly with it. Shooting firearms, like playing golf is a perishable skill.

If you or your families lives are in danger I think wasp spray is brilliant!!! Being sued or fined by the epa would suck but I think both are fairly unlikely and MORE importantly, if your life is in danger, neither of those issues are gonna matter much. Secondly, the best home defense weapon is a firearm and the tactical knowledge required to use it in a proficient manner. 

5 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

If you or your families lives are in danger I think wasp spray is brilliant!!! Being sued or fined by the epa would suck but I think both are fairly unlikely and MORE importantly, if your life is in danger, neither of those issues are gonna matter much. Secondly, the best home defense weapon is a firearm and the tactical knowledge required to use it in a proficient manner. 

Actually it was a just something I posted on here as second thought. (see my second post)

I am looking at a can of wasp spray right now, and no where on the can is a federal law printed about manner of use on it. Maybe other brands might have it. Yes it has poisons listed on it, and say use eye protection. 

As for liability or law suits, anyone can sue anyone,  at anytime,  over anything. Just find the right lawyer. I was sued once by a guy who was in my 6' high block walled  back yard stealing our daughters' bikes. Seemed the mom, and dad Dobermans, ( with 9 pups) did not care for him, and chewed most of his ass off.  I won the case. Large dogs are a great deterant. 

I can honestly say if I, or my family, were in a dangerous situation and a can of anything was all I had, I'd use it's contents in a heart beat. That, or the can itself. 

Fire arms are a great last resort deterant, if the gun owner is properly trained, and has the mental stability to use it.  My thought is if a you pull a gun in self defense, you best be ready to use it. Don't think twice, and center mass readily comes to mind. 

In My Bag:

This guy was nice enough to take some wasp spray in the face for science -

Perhaps some brands are effective but who can test?  I would go with pepper spray 100%.  I have some for bears and I test fired a little bit of it once - that's some nasty stuff to even catch a whiff of. 

I keep a can in my car,and on the label it says in so many words, that it's a felony to use for anything other than the intended purpose.

For home protection,I have my boy Hercules watching the house,if they get past him,I have a 9mm. in my bedroom  

071.JPG

4 minutes ago, ralphs007 said:

I keep a can in my car,and on the label it says in so many words, that it's a felony to use for anything other than the intended purpose.

For home protection,I have my boy Hercules watching the house,if they get past him,I have a 9mm. in my bedroom  

071.JPG

I'm a German Shepherd guy, myself, but Hercules the Rotty is beautiful. However, I have a feeling that, when his paw's better and he hasn't got his muzzle on, you won't need a 9mm if there are bad guys in your immediate vicinity. Hercules would have them for breakfast.

43 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Perhaps some brands are effective but who can test?  I would go with pepper spray 100%.  I have some for bears and I test fired a little bit of it once - that's some nasty stuff to even catch a whiff of. 

14 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

Hey it almost worked on Tony Soprano! 

One of the best scenes from that show:

4:20 for the wasp spray. 

I think Ralphy would have been better off with pepper spray! This is enough proof for me, that I should switch out my wasp spray for the real deal,Lol,

Edited by ralphs007

1 hour ago, Rainmaker said:

We routinely used pepper spray and tear gas for certain applications in the military and were subjected to both many times.  A good pepper spray is an excellent addition to anyone's self-defense plan.  Even (especially?) for those who opt to carry a firearm.  It provides a non-lethal option in those cases where deadly force might not be appropriate.

Leave the bug spay for the bugs.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, ralphs007 said:

071.JPG

Our first line are Mik and Moose. They were just weighed for their shots. Mik, 8 year old American Bulldog, is at 135 lbs. Moose is an 8 year old  Collie/St Bernard mix is 142 lbs. Nothing, or no one wants to piss these two off. When they get to playing, we get out of their way. :-P

In My Bag:

I saw an add on TST for a tactical flash ligh that can be used for self defense. Does anyone own one these, or similar flash lights. I'd be interested to know how long the battery would last in a continuous "on" mode. 

In My Bag:

39 minutes ago, Patch said:

I saw an add on TST for a tactical flash ligh that can be used for self defense. Does anyone own one these, or similar flash lights. I'd be interested to know how long the battery would last in a continuous "on" mode. 

I own a surefire executive elite.  Great light.  Robust and very bright. No idea how long the battery will last continuously.  A wild guess, maybe 15 - 30 minutes...?  That's really not what they're designed for though.  I do carry it to walk the dog at night, but even then, it's just used for a few seconds at a time....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

19 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I own a surefire executive elite.  Great light.  Robust and very bright.

19 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I own a surefire executive elite.  Great light.  Robust and very bright. No idea how long the battery will last continuously.  A wild guess, maybe 15 - 30 minutes...?  That's really not what they're designed for though.  I do carry it to walk the dog at night, but even then, it's just used for a few seconds at a time....

No idea how long the battery will last continuously.  A wild guess, maybe 15 - 30 minutes...?  That's really not what they're designed for though.  I do carry it to walk the dog at night, but even then, it's just used for a few seconds at a time....

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I have a 5 D cell, rechargeable light that that's rated at at 8500 lumins. Good thing about it is has an adjustable knob that allows it to be used as low as 500 lumins. At 8500, it goes dark in 10 minutes. At 500 I can get 40 minutes out of it.  I use it to walk my dogs too. Scares the coyotes off pretty easily. . 

In My Bag:

I'm going with being smart about home security to minimize the chances of needing something like that. When I lived in a heavier crime area than I do now my first line was a security door, second was dogs, any dog makes a lot of noise and all but the toy types can be vicious. Where we live now I don't have to lock my car but I still wouldn't open the door to a stranger unless it was a kid selling cookies or something. All about being smart.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 2820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!