IGNORED

PGA Championships on the West Coast

Broke100Once
Note: This thread is 2761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The PGA of America would dearly love to get more PGA Championships onto the west coast, but most of the top venues (Pebble Beach, Olympic Club, Torrey Pines, now apparently LA Country Club and Chambers Bay) are all being claimed by the USGA for Opens, or the courses will simply hold out for Opens before 'settling' for a PGA as a second choice.  This leaves the PGA with consolation prizes like Harding Park in 2020.

There's obviously no shortage of great courses on the west coast, but which ones are the most practical to fit the PGA's desire for a big course that can accommodate their corporate setups?  For instance, Bandon Dunes (middle of nowhere) or Riviera (not enough space for sponsor tents) don't seem to fit unless the PGA is willing to take a financial hit.

Personally, I'd love to see the PGA return to Riviera in 2026 to celebrate the course's 100th anniversary.  I'd also be interested in seeing the PGA adopt Chambers Bay if the USGA had too many issues with the 2015 US Open.  Since the PGA's course setups aren't as scorched-earth as the USGA, it might allow Chambers Bay' natural challenges to really capture players' imaginations.

• Upvote 1

I am not in love with Chambers Bay.  As I recall, Chambers Bay had two different types of grass on the greens that grew at different rates.  Thus the later in the day, the more prominent the inconsistencies were on the greens.  Also, it created unfair play with the inconsistencies on the greens.  One putt could be unaffected by the greens while a player on almost the same line on the same green would have two types of grass to putt over.  I was not a fan of this course and hope that it host no future major tournaments.  

I will also add that the USGA usually screws up a course trying to protect par.  

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Broke100Once said:

The PGA of America would dearly love to get more PGA Championships onto the west coast

Source?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Would the PGA West Stadium course work?  It's certainly tough enough for a major.

Or even one of the other PGA West courses in La Quinta?

The drawback is the heat that time of the year (unless they were to reschedule the date).

4 hours ago, Lastpick said:

I am not in love with Chambers Bay.  As I recall, Chambers Bay had two different types of grass on the greens that grew at different rates.  Thus the later in the day, the more prominent the inconsistencies were on the greens.  Also, it created unfair play with the inconsistencies on the greens.  One putt could be unaffected by the greens while a player on almost the same line on the same green would have two types of grass to putt over.  I was not a fan of this course and hope that it host no future major tournaments.  

I will also add that the USGA usually screws up a course trying to protect par.  

I actually recently talked with one of their pros because I was playing with him in a tournament.  I asked about their greens and what they are planning to do.  He said that they are letting the poa take over.  It is at 50% coverage right now.  He mentioned it will still take a few years for full coverage.  I didn't ask how they plan to stop it from moving everywhere, so maybe they are just letting the whole course go.  It's actually a bit disappointing to me that they are going away from an all fescue course, but I also understand that they have to have a ton of man power to keep a course like that.  It'll be interesting to see how it plays once the conversion is complete.  But I do believe it will play like a true championship course.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

2 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

Would the PGA West Stadium course work?  It's certainly tough enough for a major.

Or even one of the other PGA West courses in La Quinta?

The drawback is the heat that time of the year (unless they were to reschedule the date).

You say drawback I say perk.  Let them wear shorts for the event or something.  That's a great course and I'd love to see a PGA Championship there some August. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

The PGA was held at Sahalee CC in 1998 and it recently held a LPGA major. This could be used again for a PGA Championship. I see you talking about Chambers Bay's greens but what happened in 1997 was far worse for Riviera. It certainly could use another chance at a major. TPC Stonebrae which hosts a web.com event, or Pumpkin Ridge which has hosted a US Amateur and also a web.com event. So there are options.

Harding Park is not a favorite for me. I have played it a dozen times and other than the 18th hole I could not tell you much about the course. It is pretty boring. 

Michael

15 minutes ago, mchepp said:

The PGA was held at Sahalee CC in 1998 and it recently held a LPGA major. This could be used again for a PGA Championship. I see you talking about Chambers Bay's greens but what happened in 1997 was far worse for Riviera. It certainly could use another chance at a major. TPC Stonebrae which hosts a web.com event, or Pumpkin Ridge which has hosted a US Amateur and also a web.com event. So there are options.

Harding Park is not a favorite for me. I have played it a dozen times and other than the 18th hole I could not tell you much about the course. It is pretty boring. 

Sahalee is a fun course but its super short even if u maxed out distance on tee boxes. I cant see the pga championship going back unless it was for senior or ladies tour. Dont get me wrong, its tough with how the trees stick out everywhere making the fairways skinny. But i dont think its enough anymore for the guys. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

On August 23, 2016 at 0:56 PM, phillyk said:

I actually recently talked with one of their pros because I was playing with him in a tournament.  I asked about their greens and what they are planning to do.  He said that they are letting the poa take over.  It is at 50% coverage right now.  He mentioned it will still take a few years for full coverage.  I didn't ask how they plan to stop it from moving everywhere, so maybe they are just letting the whole course go.  It's actually a bit disappointing to me that they are going away from an all fescue course, but I also understand that they have to have a ton of man power to keep a course like that.  It'll be interesting to see how it plays once the conversion is complete.  But I do believe it will play like a true championship course.

Thx for the input.  Good post

• Administrator
On August 23, 2016 at 1:28 PM, iacas said:

Source?

So… no source @Broke100Once?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!