IGNORED

Wishon or Mizuno JPX 850?

Note: This thread is 2724 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A local fitter sells Wishon and suggested these max forgiving cavity back irons. I've heard great things about Wishon here. I also like Mizuno JPX 850 forged. Any thoughts on the two?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, rfeight said:

A local fitter sells Wishon and suggested these max forgiving cavity back irons. I've heard great things about Wishon here. I also like Mizuno JPX 850 forged. Any thoughts on the two?

Here is my review of the Mizuno 850 forged. Mizuno will have more resale value.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/mizuno_jpx-850_forged_review

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Excellent review Scott. Thanks for sharing. I think I need to find a set somewhere locally that I can demo. I'm also finding them a little less expensive on Ebay than originally. I think it's cause the 900 come out next month. 

The local guy recommended 95 weight shafts. Any thoughts? Does Mizuno offer something less than 115?

22 hours ago, rfeight said:

Excellent review Scott. Thanks for sharing. I think I need to find a set somewhere locally that I can demo. I'm also finding them a little less expensive on Ebay than originally. I think it's cause the 900 come out next month. 

The local guy recommended 95 weight shafts. Any thoughts? Does Mizuno offer something less than 115?

I would stick with the 115. I have the 95 in my AP1 and at times they feel a little light. The 115 is a very good shaft. High launch without being to light or whippy. I use the stiff BTW.

• Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

I cannot chime in on the 850 but I have been hitting the 825 pro forged for a couple years now and I will say they are absolutely amazing.  They play very long (with some higher lofts, the PW is 45 degrees) but are super forgiving.  I got fitted for them, which I would recommend fully if you are going to drop the money on solid clubs.

I must have hit 12 different irons and these were by far the most consistent.  I have no experience with Wishon

• Upvote 1

I would wait, the JPX 900 line will be released shortly so you can find savings on the JPX 850 or you might want to take a look at the JPX 900 lineup.  I wouldn't go with Wishon, while I'm sure they are nice clubs, they won't have any resale value if you decide you don't like them.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

I don't know about Wishon, but I recently bought the JPX 850 forged. I'm a 15 handicap and they are plenty forgiving with great feel. Highly recommend. 

• Upvote 1

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Thanks everyone. I'm leaning towards the JPX 850s. As a frugal guy I also was thinking 850 because the 900 were coming out and I thought I might save with people trying to get rid of their stock of 850s.

As for getting fitted. I went to this fitter that sells mostly Wishon. He can sell the others, but sort of leads everyone towards Wishon. His conclusion with the irons was that I was pretty much standard length and loft. He recommended 95 grams if I was replacing the shaft on my old clubs to take the weight down. They're really a heavy clubhead. So 115 might work with the 850s.

15 hours ago, rfeight said:

Thanks everyone. I'm leaning towards the JPX 850s. As a frugal guy I also was thinking 850 because the 900 were coming out and I thought I might save with people trying to get rid of their stock of 850s.

As for getting fitted. I went to this fitter that sells mostly Wishon. He can sell the others, but sort of leads everyone towards Wishon. His conclusion with the irons was that I was pretty much standard length and loft. He recommended 95 grams if I was replacing the shaft on my old clubs to take the weight down. They're really a heavy clubhead. So 115 might work with the 850s.

Let us know how it goes when you get them.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Your choices seem to be to 1) go to the fitter and work through the process of hitting test clubs and observing the results, or 2) taking club fitting advice from strangers on the internet who've never seen your golf swing. :-O

• Upvote 1
"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

14 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Let us know how it goes when you get them.

Went today to Golfsmith and was fitted for the JPX 850 Forged. Just as I suspected I was a regular flex 115 tru-temper. No lie adjustment either. The tape was clean. I figured it would be because I usually set up around the club.

The main difference was that the club length was 1/2 inch longer than my current clubs, so I had about a half inch to an inch showing when I gripped. The feel was awesome. I was getting slight more distance with a much closer shot dispersion than my current irons. Miss hits gave good feedback and pure stokes were apparent by that buttery feel everyone talks about.

I've been demo-ing the Wishon 771csi irons for a week. They also had the buttery feeling when hit well. And I played a few times with them too. I played 3 times with them and hit the range twice. They felt great too but the Mizuno's were a little easier to hit. 

We'll see how things turn out at the last league round tomorrow. It's the placement round for the league fun night scramble. I'll be at the range beforehand trying to figure out distances. 

Thanks everyone for the all the comments. It's nice to have people to bounce ideas off of. 

11 minutes ago, rfeight said:

Went today to Golfsmith and was fitted for the JPX 850 Forged. Just as I suspected I was a regular flex 115 tru-temper. No lie adjustment either. The tape was clean. I figured it would be because I usually set up around the club.

The main difference was that the club length was 1/2 inch longer than my current clubs, so I had about a half inch to an inch showing when I gripped. The feel was awesome. I was getting slight more distance with a much closer shot dispersion than my current irons. Miss hits gave good feedback and pure stokes were apparent by that buttery feel everyone talks about.

I've been demo-ing the Wishon 771csi irons for a week. They also had the buttery feeling when hit well. And I played a few times with them too. I played 3 times with them and hit the range twice. They felt great too but the Mizuno's were a little easier to hit. 

We'll see how things turn out at the last league round tomorrow. It's the placement round for the league fun night scramble. I'll be at the range beforehand trying to figure out distances. 

Thanks everyone for the all the comments. It's nice to have people to bounce ideas off of. 

I was just at the Golfsmith in Novi yesterday and noticed the 850's have come down $200 from what they were two years ago. I have the cast 850's and really like them. The forged seemed just a bit harder to hit (I'm high 'capper), but I really liked the looks of them.

Jon

2 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

I was just at the Golfsmith in Novi yesterday and noticed the 850's have come down $200 from what they were two years ago. I have the cast 850's and really like them. The forged seemed just a bit harder to hit (I'm high 'capper), but I really liked the looks of them.

When he rang them up they were $100 less than they showed online and on the rack. I'm guessing they are getting rid of stock in preparation for the 900s. They'll probably drop them 1st thing September to what he gave them to me for. 

I'm a relatively high handicapper too. I just check my Game Golf and saw that I've had a few rounds this year in 90s. Friday was one, but I was playing with a client (add a stroke or two for nerves) and testing those other clubs so add a few strokes just for that. But the 850 Forged felt great. 

I hope you like them @rfeight. I don't know anything about the Wishons you mentioned in your OP, but all you can do is go with what worked the best for you.

I remember liking the feel and looks of the forged when hitting into the net at the fitters, but the cast showed better results on the simulator (it was winter so I couldn't hit them on the outdoor range). In any case, they hit much better than the other brands and even the Mizuno JPX EZ's, so it was relatively easy to pull the trigger.

Jon

UPDATE: Before league play I was able to go to the range and hit a 100 balls. They were flying pretty true, but I am one of those range guys. I can hit fades, draws, etc. at the range. I get on the course and find it more difficult. So I'm hitting them pretty good at the range. Even the 5 iron. the 4 not so much. I look down and see one ball left and forgot I have a new gap wedge. It's 50 degrees. Most of the clubs I noticed played about 5 yards further than my current clubs. But the grouping was MUCH tighter. I didn't try any fades or draws because I was short on time. fThe gap was a good hit, but I wasn't too sure the distance. Guessing from the other clubs distances it would be about 90 to 100 yards. 

I also tried a Wishon 3 hybrid 775 I believe. It was pretty good when I could hit it. But half were good, half bad. I just need more than 10 balls to get use to it. But again, I was limited on time. On to the course. 

First shot after drive was an 85 yard approach. here comes the gap wedge. Stuck it 12 feet from the cup. First thing I noticed, the height on the approach stopped the ball at 90 yards. So the distance was right with less roll. Just like the trackman showed at Golfsmith.

Second hole, hit a great 6 iron layup out of the rough giving me another approach. Stuck it again for par on a par 5.

Third hole, approach from 150, stuck a 6 just right and short on a VERY tough approach shot. And that's my story. Sure I had some miss hits when I was thinking how incredible I was playing. But to cap it off I stuck a 90 gap wedge again, for a 24 inch birdie put on #8 par 3.

Conclusion: the clubs are all they are billed to be. They are forgiving, yet accurate and have a great approach that allowed me to hold greens. All the hype I heard,.... was not really hype. These clubs rock.

Now I'm sure I'll have a bad round (heck check out the 9 I got)  and question things at some point, but for now, I'm on cloud nine.

Ciao!~ 

20160829_183144.jpg

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, rfeight said:

UPDATE: Before league play I was able to go to the range and hit a 100 balls. They were flying pretty true, but I am one of those range guys. I can hit fades, draws, etc. at the range. I get on the course and find it more difficult. So I'm hitting them pretty good at the range. Even the 5 iron. the 4 not so much. I look down and see one ball left and forgot I have a new gap wedge. It's 50 degrees. Most of the clubs I noticed played about 5 yards further than my current clubs. But the grouping was MUCH tighter. I didn't try any fades or draws because I was short on time. fThe gap was a good hit, but I wasn't too sure the distance. Guessing from the other clubs distances it would be about 90 to 100 yards. 

I also tried a Wishon 3 hybrid 775 I believe. It was pretty good when I could hit it. But half were good, half bad. I just need more than 10 balls to get use to it. But again, I was limited on time. On to the course. 

First shot after drive was an 85 yard approach. here comes the gap wedge. Stuck it 12 feet from the cup. First thing I noticed, the height on the approach stopped the ball at 90 yards. So the distance was right with less roll. Just like the trackman showed at Golfsmith.

Second hole, hit a great 6 iron layup out of the rough giving me another approach. Stuck it again for par on a par 5.

Third hole, approach from 150, stuck a 6 just right and short on a VERY tough approach shot. And that's my story. Sure I had some miss hits when I was thinking how incredible I was playing. But to cap it off I stuck a 90 gap wedge again, for a 24 inch birdie put on #8 par 3.

Conclusion: the clubs are all they are billed to be. They are forgiving, yet accurate and have a great approach that allowed me to hold greens. All the hype I heard,.... was not really hype. These clubs rock.

Now I'm sure I'll have a bad round (heck check out the 9 I got)  and question things at some point, but for now, I'm on cloud nine.

Ciao!~ 

20160829_183144.jpg

Thanks for posting.

• Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I went back to the Wishon fitter and decided to try to have  775 3 hybrid made because he gave me the fitting fee towards a club. Boy am I glad I did. It hits beautifully. I'm guessing the one he loaned me to try was just a little too long, hence the missed shots. Either way I'm happy with the hybrid. On average, I'm hitting it about 15 yards further than my old hybrid. I'm thinking about having the Wishon 2 wood made now, particularly because I don't have that club that'll get me on par 5's in 2 strokes. When I did hit the borrowed 929HS Wishon 3 wood, I was hitting it 220, about 20 yards further than my current 3 wood. 

I have played Mizuno irons for about five years and like them very much. However I was a club builder for ten years back in the early 2000's and Tom Wishon Golf is a great company and the owner is one of the best designer of clubs bar none. I have built many clubs from his company and myself have had four sets of irons and many fairway woods and drivers from him as well. Just as good and better than some of the OEM's, but the one bad thing is with all components is a low resale value simply because most people think clone when you mention components but that is not the case with Wishon Golf they design their own heads and shafts. You can't go wrong with either company as both make great equipment. 

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2724 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!