IGNORED

Question on getting fit for clubs

Bgoods1221
Note: This thread is 2775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can anyone recommend to me whether or not I should be fit for clubs? I just picked up some sweet Nike Vapor Pro Combos from a buddy and they are standard length/lie. I still have a lot to work on in my swing so I am wondering if it is worth it to get fit if there will be future swing changes. I have heard from multiple pros that getting fit for clubs is more important for the "better" player. Is this true? I don't think I would consider myself a better player but I think I am getting there which is why I am considering getting fit. Let me know what you guys think!!

Everyone who plays golf regularly should be fit. As a 9.2 Handicap (You are a better player than I) I would say you are a better player. 

Don't take getting fit lightly though, get as much information as you can, hit several different clubs and ASK questions. Ask a lot of questions actually.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i am quickly becoming a believer, especially after exchanging notes with Tom Wishon. Find a good personal fitter in your area that understands not only static fitting, but has a grasp of COR, MOI, Shaft technology. I do not know a lot personally, but I am learning quite a bit from research. From what I have learned, many club fitters can produce a set of balanced clubs using specs other than simply the swing weight. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• Upvote 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Appreciate the responses guys! To @onthehunt526, other than length, lie, and shaft is there anything else that is "fit"?

To @Hacker James - with the Nike clubs I just bought, I'm guessing you would recommend finding a local pro to do a fitting opposed to say someone at Golf Galaxy? 

Also, very interesting article! My only question is if a mid/high handicapper's swing is going to undergo lots of swing changes, would it still be worth it to spend money on getting fit and then possibly having to do it all over again in a couple years (if said golfer truly does change his swing)?

Edited by Bgoods1221

It would depend on the competency of the fitter at GG. A lot of them are merely sales people lacking in expertise (there are exceptions of course).  As for local pro...would depend on what you mean by pro. A club pro for example, might be able to give excellent instruction, but not necessarily the best advice on club fitting. Check out their web sites to see what they are offering, what their main business is e.t.c. As far as spending money initially, I would relate to the article. If you start out right, any changes would not be that drastic and may simply be a matter of changing the lie angle for example if the hosel permits such a change. The initial fitting usually is less than $100. This should be considered for example, if the big box store such as GG offers "free" fittings with purchase. You would have to ask yourself, what "value" does that fitting really have.  or...You could always ask Tom Wishon directly on his web site.  Just "google" it.  There is a lot to a proper fitting other than the physical descriptions you mention above.  There are differences in head design, the amount of COR, MOI e.t.c. (and please do not ask me to go into that, as I don't want to start a whole other discussion - you can also "google" it).

Above all...this is only my opinion.  

"James"

Personally I wouldn't fit anything other than inputting your measurements (wrist to floor, height, etc) and getting the shaft the correct length before I wouldn't adjust any lofts or anything. I would also just get the correct shaft stiffness for my swing speed. Outside of that I feel like it's a waste to get anything customized further since you should be changing your swing to get better. Equipment won't make you better at a lower skill level.

Edited by jkelley9

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Yes @Bgoods1221 besides length, lie and shaft there are a few other things that are fit for sure. Grip size, bend point of shaft, the flex in the butt end of the shaft.... There is a lot more to fitting than mosy people realise.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Congrats on the new sticks. Since you own them and if the shaft length is acceptable I would have the lofts checked to make sure they are accurate, the lies adjusted, and grips sized and set up to fit you or your preferences. If you have to cut shafts or swap them out it would be cost prohibitive. 

• Upvote 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

6 hours ago, TourSpoon said:

Congrats on the new sticks. Since you own them and if the shaft length is acceptable I would have the lofts checked to make sure they are accurate, the lies adjusted, and grips sized and set up to fit you or your preferences. If you have to cut shafts or swap them out it would be cost prohibitive. 

^ +1

This is really a cart-horse situation since you already have the clubs.  Other than the adjustments recommended above, what can you do now if the fitting comes up with something different?

John

I missed the fact that you already had the clubs.That definitely puts a different light on the subject. If it becomes a question of swing weight, a grip change might satisfy that requirement. If you have flight concerns, then the loft and lie adjustments should help as @70sSanO suggests. You also may well find that doing nothing is not a bad bet and just have a qualified instructor/coach take a look at your swing, do a few videos e.t.c.  Being a 9.2 capper is a very decent index from my viewpoint and once you get comfortable with the new clubs, should only get better. Good Luck to you.

"James"

Thank you all for the replies. I am learning a lot! I guess what I was really asking in my question was what is most important fitting wise with clubs already owned? Obviously anything with shaft adjustment wouldn't be cost effective so what else could I be fit for that would help my game the most?

32 minutes ago, Bgoods1221 said:

Thank you all for the replies. I am learning a lot! I guess what I was really asking in my question was what is most important fitting wise with clubs already owned? Obviously anything with shaft adjustment wouldn't be cost effective so what else could I be fit for that would help my game the most?

Yep, looks like most has been covered in the above posts. Loft and Lie changes are fairly easy as long as the hosels are bendable. Heavier grip will lighten swing weight, Shafts can be "butt" cut, but just be careful. You can google online, for the math involved in what effects adding weight, cutting shaft, changing grips have. Slight changes can have large effects. I've done a bit of it with my old TM R-7 before I sold it. 

"James"

On 9/15/2016 at 4:28 PM, Bgoods1221 said:

Can anyone recommend to me whether or not I should be fit for clubs? I just picked up some sweet Nike Vapor Pro Combos from a buddy and they are standard length/lie. I still have a lot to work on in my swing so I am wondering if it is worth it to get fit if there will be future swing changes. I have heard from multiple pros that getting fit for clubs is more important for the "better" player. Is this true? I don't think I would consider myself a better player but I think I am getting there which is why I am considering getting fit. Let me know what you guys think!!

I think you should get fitted. I know as a beginner you'll be extremely inconsistent in your swing (I'm not that much more consistent), but you can at least be measured, and those specs checked out against your new clubs, to make sure the length and lie are in the ballpark for your height and arm length. Learning a good golf swing is hard enough without the club encouraging you to pull up on your shot because it's too long, or bob down at the ball because it's too short, or aim your swing left or right because the clubface is pointing the other way from the wrong lie angle.

Note: This thread is 2775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!