IGNORED

Help! Can't Stop Fading the Ball

Odogesq
Note: This thread is 2772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi Everyone! So I have been taking lessons and working on turning my hips more during the swing and into impact. Only problem now is that as I turn my hips it brings my arms over the top, causing me to cut across the ball each time. No matter what I do I can't seem to get my arms on plane without some terrible result (hitting fat/thin/shank

I used to hit a fairly consistent draw, and my miss was almost always  a hook, so I got used to playing the course from right to left. It wasn't perect, but it got me down to a 7.8. However, I had very little hip turn in my swing and instead had a very pronounced "slide." I also tended to leave a lot of weight on my left in the back swing. That said, contact was always good for the most part and ball flight a fairly consistent right to left.

My instructor is getting me to load onto the right side and turn my hips as opposed to sliding. Although I am able to make solid contact, I can't figure out how to turn my hips without pulling my arms down and throwing the club out over the top. Very frustrating. I'm playing tomorrow and will just have to play a fade to keep score low.

Any advice/help/drills is appreciated. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:

:tmade: 9.5˚ Rocketballz | :callaway: 15˚ X-Hot 3 Wood :tmade: ran TP (3-PW) | :vokey: Vokey 52˚ & 56˚ | :odyssey: White Smoke MC-72 

Perhaps this will help....  :-)

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, David in FL said:

Perhaps this will help....  :-)

So, what you're saying is: I'm doing it all wrong? ?

Well then I guess the way I was swinging before was more correct than what my instructor has me trying to do. Golf is hard.

12 hours ago, Steviestuboy said:

Thank you sir,  that is perfect!! .  Hijacked thread odogesq sorry buddy

No worries! 

Thanks for the responses and helpful link everyone!

In My Bag:

:tmade: 9.5˚ Rocketballz | :callaway: 15˚ X-Hot 3 Wood :tmade: ran TP (3-PW) | :vokey: Vokey 52˚ & 56˚ | :odyssey: White Smoke MC-72 

I think a lot depends on what your instructor thinks of your new swing and if there is a next step to this to incorporate a slide.  This may be a proverbial work in progress.

I have been working on my hip turn and for me I have found the following...

Care has to be taken to make sure the backswing doesn't get too flat.

I have to make sure that I can bring the club to the inside on the downswing.  If I just turn the club goes to the outside.  For me, and probably most, there is a natural slide to get the right side out of the way.  If I understand the linked thread correctly, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, that slide has to continue as you uncoil or you just continue  to turn... ultimately away from the ball.  I have not mastered this yet.

I would think that the result of moving toward the target would "potentially" allow someone to do a Gary Player walk through, at least from a balance perspective.

I have another issue that you do not have because of a shortened backswing and a full speed downswing.  Too much hip turn pulls me away from the ball.  But I still shift my weight from the right to the left.

John

Hey, i know its gonna sound ridiculously simple, but i have a cure that will help almost every slicer, without ever touching your swing. Here we go, simply move the ball further away from you, set up as normal, then move ball out about a club head length, now when you swing you will be able to extend when you get to impact, you can also move it up even just left of your left foot, this will train you to shift your weight better to the left. if you wanna hit it the ball far and straight, you have to extend your arms through impact, if it's too close to you, then you can't extend at the proper point, which is why we extend early, at the top, now in order to get the club back to the ball we have to get our body out of the way, so we stand up, in a last ditch attempt to hit the ball we fall backwards. I know this is gonna seem much too simple a fix but i promise you it will work, i have shown quite a few people and it has turned their games around, you will soon be able to draw the ball too! This also works the same with irons. I prefer to move the ball forward as well as out because it really helps me shift forward better, just remember not to open your shoulders, you can even start with club in its normal position and have ball up a few inches. This tip will help develop a flatter in to out swing. Give it a shot guys and let me know what you think. You have nothing to lose and I'm not trying to get you to change anything in your swing.

First thing - check your alignment. Line up a shot, have a friend lay a club along your foot line, and step away before swinging. You may find that you're standing open to the target line, which will promote the fade. 

Once alignment is addressed, I would check your left wrist position at the top of the backswing, and at impact. If your wrist is cupped (as in the picture) at the top of the backswing, it will probably result in an open face at impact. Straightening the wrist at the top should help close the clubface at impact. This has helped cure some shanks I've been experiencing, and promotes a right-to-left flight pattern for me.

Good luck.

CupWrist.PNG

TaylorMade Burner Driver (2009) 9.5 degree, Stiff
TaylorMade R7 3 Wood, Stiff 
Nike VR Pro Hybrid 21 degree, Stiff 
Mizuno MX23 4-PW, Rifle shafts, Reg
Nike SV 52-56-60 wedges (ILLEGAL!)
NeverCompromise mallet putter (OLD)
Srixon AD-333 or Titleist Pro V1

On 9/16/2016 at 9:38 PM, Odogesq said:

Hi Everyone! So I have been taking lessons and working on turning my hips more during the swing and into impact. Only problem now is that as I turn my hips it brings my arms over the top, causing me to cut across the ball each time. No matter what I do I can't seem to get my arms on plane without some terrible result (hitting fat/thin/shank

I used to hit a fairly consistent draw, and my miss was almost always  a hook, so I got used to playing the course from right to left. It wasn't perect, but it got me down to a 7.8. However, I had very little hip turn in my swing and instead had a very pronounced "slide." I also tended to leave a lot of weight on my left in the back swing. That said, contact was always good for the most part and ball flight a fairly consistent right to left.

My instructor is getting me to load onto the right side and turn my hips as opposed to sliding. Although I am able to make solid contact, I can't figure out how to turn my hips without pulling my arms down and throwing the club out over the top. Very frustrating. I'm playing tomorrow and will just have to play a fade to keep score low.

Sounds like maybe you're still a little stuck on the trail side foot? If you're standing up on the trail side it's very hard to keep the right shoulder low & working under and out vs. over and out. Focusing on more separation in the kinematic sequence between the lead hip and the shoulders and keeping the R knee flexed through the d/s might help.

Do you do this move on the d/s?: 

Kevin

On 9/16/2016 at 9:38 PM, Odogesq said:

Why not ask your instructor, he's seen your swing he has an idea of what he is trying to get you to do. 

• Upvote 1

Sort of in line with @David in FL's link, I think it's likely you could describe your problem as one of sequencing.  You want to get your weight forward and hips turned, but if you turn your hips too hard too early, that can really encourage both standing up (losing spine angle) and bringing that right should high and around too early.  Then your only options are coming over the top or correcting, dropping your hands, which for me tends to lead to block fades.  

I don't do this all the time, but in getting the trigger to be more like sliding then turning your hips, I'll periodically take some time at the range where I try to start my swing driving my front butt cheek sort of in an arc.  Start down the target line, then high and away from the ball.  That first part is the key feel for me to get some sequencing back.  For me basically feels like a full coil then push the butt towards the target.

Then you can start the uncoil from the hips up.  I'm no scratch golfer, but playing with those kinds of feels has helped me in the past.

• Upvote 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 2772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!