IGNORED

My Swing (lee34)

lee34
Note: This thread is 2646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi, just started up playing again.

played golf on and off for years. Handicap of 28. My main problem has been slicing my driver. Please could you look at my swing and offer any tips or observations of where I'm going wrong. I think my posture may be poor and I struggle with overswing.

many thanks

leeIMG_7213.mp4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It says my content needs to be approved by a moderator. Is this why my swing video does not open on the thread yet ?

Welcome to the forum. You need to post your video on YouTube and paste the URL here. Remember to have your video as either unlisted or public so we can view. 

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Finally got it sorted. All feedback welcome, I play off 28 so any tips would greatly help my game.

thanks 

1 minute ago, lee34 said:

Finally got it sorted. All feedback welcome, I play off 28 so any tips would greatly help my game.

thanks 

It's hard to tell from this angle, but check out this thread below.

When you film next, have the camera line up with the line your feet make toward the target. We can get a lot more information that way. Also, send in a face on video as well.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Ok so played a ground today and have 4 videos I will upload shortly.

same problem slicing massively. So much so I end up on the right side of the fairway if the hole that runs next to the hole I'm meant to be playing on !!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it's getting really frustrating.

thanks

lee

I see some good stuff in your swing.  Namely your lead arm wrist at impact.  Little to no flip.

Not sure if this would be priority, but you certainly sway back during your backswing.  Ideally you would be rotating with your hips more in the same place.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

1 hour ago, 14ledo81 said:

I see some good stuff in your swing.  Namely your lead arm wrist at impact.  Little to no flip.

Not sure if this would be priority, but you certainly sway back during your backswing.  Ideally you would be rotating with your hips more in the same place.

Thanks for your response. Is there any drills or way I can practice this or would I be better off getting lessons?

52 minutes ago, lee34 said:

Thanks for your response. Is there any drills or way I can practice this or would I be better off getting lessons?

52 minutes ago, lee34 said:

I use a mirror for backswing work.  Slow work, so you can continually check your positioning.

You may actually have to feel that your hips are moving forward in the backswing to get them to stay centered.  

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Below is a snapshot of your swing at setup and top of the backswing, A4. Notice how much you sway backwards during the backswing. This will cause you to try and move even more forward during the downswing, which is hard. The thread below discusses a centered hip turn. I recommend you work on that as a priority. You can do mirror work and filming to see your progress. The feel I like to use for this is to feel my right hip pocket moving toward the target as I do my backswing.

lee34.jpg

• Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

On 01/10/2016 at 1:27 PM, boogielicious said:

Below is a snapshot of your swing at setup and top of the backswing, A4. Notice how much you sway backwards during the backswing. This will cause you to try and move even more forward during the downswing, which is hard. The thread below discusses a centered hip turn. I recommend you work on that as a priority. You can do mirror work and filming to see your progress. The feel I like to use for this is to feel my right hip pocket moving toward the target as I do my backswing.

lee34.jpg

Wow thanks for this massively shows up the fault in my swing.  I also think I'm over swinging and wonder if my hands are too far away from my body ? 

On 10/2/2016 at 9:08 PM, lee34 said:

Wow thanks for this massively shows up the fault in my swing.  I also think I'm over swinging and wonder if my hands are too far away from my body ? 

keeping the lower body more stable will restrict the club swinging too far back. Much of the power in the golf swing is created by the separation of the shoulders and hips (torque). Restricting the hip turn but trying to turn back will feel very restrictive and this is how the power is generated. It should feel as though you are coiling your upper body around a stable base.

Also if anything, your arms should be even straighter at the top of the backswing! This is good for consistency and for generating width which in turn creates more power... It also takes out the variable of how bent your arm 'could' be at impact so is therefore more consistent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2016 at 9:34 PM, g30rg35m1th said:

keeping the lower body more stable will restrict the club swinging too far back. Much of the power in the golf swing is created by the separation of the shoulders and hips (torque). Restricting the hip turn but trying to turn back will feel very restrictive and this is how the power is generated. It should feel as though you are coiling your upper body around a stable base.

Also if anything, your arms should be even straighter at the top of the backswing! This is good for consistency and for generating width which in turn creates more power... It also takes out the variable of how bent your arm 'could' be at impact so is therefore more consistent.

I think you will find that the 'law of the flail'  is the primary source of power in the golf swing and not torque between the upper and lower body. The spine is not designed to rotate and there are things called facet joints that prevent rotation that may sever the spinal cord. Restricting the hips and trying to turn the shoulders could be quite damaging. Before you damage your body, look at this video by Shawn Clements.

If you want to keep your swing centre relatively stable check out his 'braced til' and  'spiral tilt'  videos. You can actually generate enough power in the golf swing if you just assist g-forces (ie. not overpower the feel of the dynamic weight felt by the pull of gravity). Of course you need a little bit of muscle to get the flail moving on an inclined plane (ie. an out action) but the majority of the speed can be created by allowing the clubhead to track the swing path via g-forces. The pivot (imho) is required to just get out of the way of your falling arms and club unit.

A good explanation of the power and speed created by gravity in the golf swing is in this article by 'golf loopy'  which shows you a moving image of the compound pendulum showing how speed is created or destroyed by an incorrect kinetic sequence of mass movements.

http://www.golfloopy.com/compound-pendulum/

Note some of the main paragraphs in this article

If you move correctly then lag is effortless, the universe does it for you!

The peak hand speed of 37mph that we see in the pendulum is enough to generate over 100mph of club head speed with the driver, and that’s just using gravity!

• Administrator
On 10/16/2016 at 9:45 AM, DownAndOut said:

http://www.golfloopy.com/compound-pendulum/

If you move correctly then lag is effortless, the universe does it for you!

The peak hand speed of 37mph that we see in the pendulum is enough to generate over 100mph of club head speed with the driver, and that’s just using gravity!

I don't want to go too far off topic, but to suggest that you can achieve 100 MPH clubhead speed using gravity alone… well, let's just say I have serious doubts about that article.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 10/24/2016 at 3:25 AM, iacas said:

I don't want to go too far off topic, but to suggest that you can achieve 100 MPH clubhead speed using gravity alone… well, let's just say I have serious doubts about that article.

Yes, on reflection, I tend to agree but can't find any proof on the internet for confirm one way or the other. I like the compound pendulum though. There is that 'gravity golf swing' but I haven't looked at it in any depth. I could do the maths calculation if we assumed the arms/club weigh about about 22 Ibs (10 kg) and raised to a height of 1.5m .

Potential Energy = mass x acceleration due to gravity x height = 10x 9.8 x 1.5 = 147 Joules . Convert it all to kinetic energy  (I/2 mass x velocity squared) would mean 147= 0.5 x mass x (velocity squared) = 0.5 x 10 x (v xv) = 5 (v x v)  .

Therefore velocity squared  = 147/5 = 29.4 . Therefore velocity of arms = 5.4 m/s  = 12 mph approx.  So yes , their claim of peak hand speed being 37 mph was exaggerated (maybe they only apply to someone who is a giant) :-))

Edited by DownAndOut

• Administrator
1 hour ago, DownAndOut said:

Yes, on reflection, I tend to agree but can't find any proof on the internet for confirm one way or the other. I like the compound pendulum though. There is that 'gravity golf swing' but I haven't looked at it in any depth. I could do the maths calculation if we assumed the arms/club weigh about about 22 Ibs (10 kg) and raised to a height of 1.5m .

Potential Energy = mass x acceleration due to gravity x height = 10x 9.8 x 1.5 = 147 Joules . Convert it all to kinetic energy  (I/2 mass x velocity squared) would mean 147= 0.5 x mass x (velocity squared) = 0.5 x 10 x (v xv) = 5 (v x v)  .

Therefore velocity squared  = 147/5 = 29.4 . Therefore velocity of arms = 5.4 m/s  = 12 mph approx.  So yes , their claim of peak hand speed being 37 mph was exaggerated (maybe they only apply to someone who is a giant) :-))

You don't even have to do that stuff. An object falling from 3m in the air is only going to be going, what, just under 20 MPH? And that's downward without energy lost due to friction, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!