IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge October 2016

iacas
Note: This thread is 2694 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Did lots of slo mo swings with the driver working on hip and left leg movement on the down swing. Did this in-between putting plywood on the windward side windows of my house in prep for Matthew.

Doug

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10/05 - grip, stance, head steady, slow back swing, low point control, balance weight shift x 5 mins with 8i while waiting for car inspection. 

Will likely get our for 9 holes this afternoon

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Day 5:

5 mins working on drill my pro asked me to do: club upside down, half swing, bring arms down quickly and stop and feel the club whip forwards as the wrists hinge.  Also did some continual swings, feeling weight change.

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

20 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

10/05 - grip, stance, head steady, slow back swing, low point control, balance weight shift x 5 mins with 8i while waiting for car inspection. 

Will likely get our for 9 holes this afternoon

10/06 - Diddo on practice focus.  I did get out yesterday for a quick 9 holes. Shot a 38 (par 35); primary focus was on inside-out swing with driver and balanced weight shift with irons. 

I'm definitely seeing improvements with 5SK #1-3. Still inconsistent with irons ball flight. Working on baby draw, but usually goes straight.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Par 71, slope 141:
100% FW
61% GIR
100% nGIR
7 bogies, 1 birdie, 10 pars

-Jonny

Day 6 (not  backdating, just had internet issues last night / this morning):

5 mins indoor putting practice from about 3 feet, aiming to roll over a 1 pence coin.

Started very well, but actually found my accuracy was way worse than usual on average,  Will try again today, I think.

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

10/1- practiced hitting birdie balls in my yard for about 45 minutes, later did some chipping and putting on my green for about 15 minutes.

10/2- Played 9 holes at the course I work at before starting my shift, shot a 41 from about 3000yds, par 31, 35.2 rating, avg 1.7 putts/hole, 6/9 FIR, 5/9 GIR.

10/3- Played in a tournament, shot an 87 (yikes) from about 6300yds, par 71, 70.6 rating, 127 slope, avg 1.9 putts/hole, 11/18 FIR, 5/18 GIR. Played 9 holes after at the course I work at, shot a 40.

10/4- Played 9 holes at the course I work at, focusing mainly on hitting my driver. Adopted a new "K-Bomb" driver stance and swing and it definitely helped. Didn't keep a proper score but I probably shot 41 or so.

10/5- Played 9 holes with a buddy who is interested in joining our school golf team in the Spring. I shot a 43 at the course I work at, 1.8 putts/hole, 6/9 FIR, 4/9 GIR.

10/6- Hit Birdie Balls in my yard for about 2 hours, and took some film (see videos on my channel here and give feedback if you'd like). 

10/7- Plan to play 9 holes at the course I work at today, will post results later.

Day 7:

10 mins putting practice indoors.  Started aim through two tees, slightly wider than a ball.  The carpeted area is obviously not quite flat, but hard to read.  However, once I worked out the slope, I did reasonably well.

Next I found a metal egg cup - also slightly larger than a ball.  I aimed at this from various distances on two different surfaces - one much faster than the other.  Reasonable accuracy.

Then I remembered a drill where you have to put over the centre of a 2p coin from no more than 12 inches, 10/10 times.  I managed this, so doubled the distance.  Managed 10/10, so added another 12 inches, and was getting about 6/10, mostly undone by variations in the carpet.

Worthwhile, I felt.

10/7- Walked 9 holes at my local course with a buddy of mine who trying to get better at golf.

Course: Quicksand Golf Club at Woodcreek (Front 9)- Par 36, 3030 yards

Score: 42

FIR: 5/9; 55%, Par 3's= 1/2; 50%, Par 4's= 3/5; 60%, Par 5's= 1/2; 50%

GIR: 3/9; 33%, Par 3's= 1/2; 50%, Par 4's= 2/5; 40%, Par 5's= 0/2; 0%

Club accuracy: Driver= 33%, Hybrid= 57%, 4 iron= 100%, 5 iron= 0%, 6 iron= 100%, 8 iron= 50%, PW= 100%

Chipping (within flagstick): 75-100 yards= 0/1; 0%, 25-50 yards= 1/2; 50%, 10-25 yards= 0/1; 0%, <10 yards= 1/3; 33%

Putting: 18 putts, avg 2 putts/hole, 10-15ft= 0/3; 0%, 5-10ft= 1/7; 14%, <5ft= 8/8; 100%

Scoring: Par 3's= 3.5, Par 4's= 4.6, Par 5's= 6

Day 8:

Played for about an hour on a par 3 pitch/putt course.  Putting was pretty good, despite poor greens, and pitching was not bad either.  Mostly used PW and SW, but also experimented with more lofted wedges to see the effect of higher trajectories and more spin/bounce.

10/8 - grip, stance, balance weight shift x 5 mins in the rain with 7i

-Jonny

Dealing with Matthew kinda screwed this month up, but I'm still practicing. I practiced inside Thursday but forgot to post. No practice yesterday. Made some swings in the yard today and it felt really good. I know.... it's not real. Planning to play tomorrow. 

- Shane

Although I haven't been posting, I haven't fallen off the practice bandwagon. Not quite as gung-ho as I was two months ago, but still getting 4-5 days of good practice in a week. Shot my best two nines ever today (5 over and 4 over) and wanted to report...

Played two rounds today. Shot 92 (50/42) and 87 (40/47) on a par 73 course. It took a while to warm up, but once I did, things went well except for a blow-up triple late in the second round. Consistency with driver and irons was great and chipping was all around much better.

I have shot or lowered my personal best on my home course 4 times in the last 7 rounds. I'll admit I was starting to get a bit discouraged when I was practicing daily, seeing major improvements in different aspects of my swing and game, but not in my scores. It's been nice to finally have all of the pieces come together for a while. Don't know how long it'll last, and I'm trying hard not to let it raise my expectations...and instead just enjoying it while it lasts.

Big thanks to this site, it's owner/moderators/et al, I am forever in debt. :-D

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

(edited)
13 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

10/8 - grip, stance, balance weight shift x 5 mins in the rain with 7i

10/09 - Diddo with 8i. Hope to get out to range today if I'm lucky. Tweaked my new driver from 10* loft to 11*...interested to see how much of a difference that will make (if any)

Edited by woodzie264

-Jonny

10/09 Part II - range for 45 mins working or driver swing and iron ball flight

-Jonny

Played a round today. Was solo for most of it so I was hitting multiple balls and trying to figure out what was wrong. Realized I was not letting the club face rotate open int the takeaway. After I started letting the toe turn up, I began hitting the ball really well. 

- Shane

Note: This thread is 2694 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!