IGNORED

Effective Range time

RussUK
Note: This thread is 2748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all, just wanting your opinions/thoughts on something i have decided to do.

Since my swing has vastly improved i feeli can now work on specific parts of my game i'd like to improve on, so i decided to make a "range plan". Before each range session if write down my aims, priorities etc.

For example, this weekend my aims are to work on clubface alignment (i've been leaving shots left of target), short game from 90yds and in and then a club comparion.

So i have planned the seesion as follows (may tweek a little).

Large basket is 90 balls

15 balls for warm-up

15 balls for work on alignment

15 - for the wedges (90 yds and in)

10 for the comaprison test

Remaining balls to be used for rest of bag

I have then written my priorites for the session such as working on setting clubface square to slightly open at address (natural shot is a draw) and for the short game to focus on consistent contact initially rather than the end result.

Does this seem a little OTT or does anyone do a similar thing?

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

44 minutes ago, RussUK said:

I have then written my priorites for the session

I use notes quite often during the season for both practice and play.

Typically, I'll consider my current playing abilities and work on the priorities like you mention.
But, I also like to hone the things I feel are working well, like solid iron shots or the driver or any other facets of the game.
Basically, I try to think positive about the things I'm doing well and maintain that level.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I been to the range and thought I was going to hit 2 large buckets of balls and satisfied my objective within the first 15 shots and called it quits.   I've also thought I was only going to hit a few warm up shots and ended up hitting quite a few because the swing had disappeared.   I usually have a plan but don't rigidly stick to the plan.  

I always try to end with success.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Just an update on how my new approach is going. Had a session yesterday, had a 90 ball basket plus another 10 left in the bay (bargain!).

I followed my plan and worked on only what was written down. I found that it really helped me to focus. It helped me to discover that my face alignment was ok, however i was hitting so far in to out with the irons was casuing the pulls and as such i have now worked out the solution.

After the session i evaluate how its gone, write down any observations, any visualisations i can use to engrain the fixes. 

I've now gone from finishing left with the irons to on target with a gentle draw. Its amazing what you can do when you actually focus the mind and think about what you are doing.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Hi Russ,

Love the overall idea and glad you're having success. Since starting lessons, I've tried to have better range sessions as well. I also go to the range each time with a purpose. The big differences in my sessions and yours are two things:

1. I usually have a video camera (sometimes, I'll admit I'm too lazy to set it up- but I usually find the session is not as productive)
  2. I use far fewer balls.  I hit 45 (smallest bucket at the range I usually go to), and most of them are not full swings.

There is lots of time replaying video to see if I'm doing what I think I'm doing. It's tedious, but I find it more productive than when I'm just swinging away at full speed, trying to feel my way to a better swing.

I like your idea of jotting down ideas after a successful "feel" works. I've had sessions where I forgot the last breakthrough, and it takes time to recover it. Maybe if I'd jotted down a note, that could've gone faster. I usually just review notes from my instructor, of which I just have a running tally of shorthand ideas in chronological order.

You've likely seen this thread, but always a good reference for new folks who might be tuning in:

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 2748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!