IGNORED

GPS Watches… Any Recommendations?

Note: This thread is 1881 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

GG is Game Golf.    Do a search here and you'll find many threads about these tags that attach to your clubs.  

Garmin makes very good gps watches if that is your preference.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

Won a Garmin S20 and found a watch way better than a clip on the bag model (Bushnell NEO) that I'd been using.

works well except only does front-middle-back, no hazards.

the clip on charger is a bit clunky and no surprise, broke pretty quick, so had to buy another. Now the battery won't last a full round. I charge it to full, switch off and put in with my golf kit, and two days later when I switch on I find the battery at half. Pretty crap. A friend has the same and he has battery problems and a breaking strap. I won't buy again.

a mate has a Microsoft Band 2 with golf app. Seemed pretty sweet but saw it used for just a few holes (ball to the forehead foreshortened the round!). It does some very intuitive stuff like counting your shots, but not your practice swings, and you can faff about with the data later on and get distances, etc. 

Am tempted to try the Microsoft, or just get a Bushnell watch. Their NEO was faultless and lasted 5/6 rounds which I felt was a reasonable standard to expect. Listening Garmin? 

the Apple Watch just seems expensive, although I realise it does a bunch of other stuff. 

Edited by loki16

Been using a Bushnell neo x and a Garmin S1 for a couple of years. just need back, middle and front. Good enough for this hacker.

Got Garmin Approach S2 about a year ago. Very happy with front middle back, measure shot functions. I don't use it for score keeping or anything like that. Another added benefit is finding more balls, as you can measure the shot and I know if I pull my driver it goes X distance, whereas if I miss high right it goes X-30 yards etc.

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

• 2 weeks later...

still thinking of one of these. I even went to Dick's and noted prices were not all that good. They did not even carry the Bushnell Neo at the store I stopped by, and the S2 was $199.99.  I believe that Costco has the S2 at $96 or something like that. Even after buying the membership at $55 would be a better deal.  I might ask my daughter to use her membership.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

3 hours ago, Hacker James said:

still thinking of one of these. I even went to Dick's and noted prices were not all that good. They did not even carry the Bushnell Neo at the store I stopped by, and the S2 was $199.99.  I believe that Costco has the S2 at $96 or something like that. Even after buying the membership at $55 would be a better deal.  I might ask my daughter to use her membership.

Is a membership required?   Buying the Kirkland ball at Costco doesn't require a membership (at least it was that way last time I bought from them).   They just charge a minimal service fee.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

28 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Is a membership required?   Buying the Kirkland ball at Costco doesn't require a membership (at least it was that way last time I bought from them).   They just charge a minimal service fee.

I don't know. I did see online that there are surcharges for non members.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

14 hours ago, Hacker James said:

I don't know. I did see online that there are surcharges for non members.

Looked it up. Surcharge is 5%, another option is to have someone give you a Costco prepaid gift card for $10 and when you checkout pay the difference in cash or debit card and avoid the surcharge altogether. I am assuming you can also buy  online without membership and only have the 5% surcharge. Sam's Club has a 10% charge on all non member purchases.

"James"

side note. Although there are several exhaustive threads on this subject. I am more or less undecided on whether to go with Garmin or Bushnell. For the price at Costco, its pretty much a no brainer, but I do like the Bushnell's incorporating hazards. Garmin's score card is appealing too, depending on how much hassle to enter or how much button pushing is involved. I don't know.....jury is still out...no sense in going on and on about what already has been covered. So consider this just a "muse".

"James"

FWIW and WTH...pulled trigger and made purchase at Costco online. From the order details, they did not even charge me the 5% surcharge. $96.99 plus tax, free shipping. Garmin Approach S2. Elsewhere priced at $199.99.  Now at least, I can know what the distance is that I missed anyway.

"James"

OK, got the product, read the manual, seems easy enough. One question however: I have it plugged into computer via USB, how long does it take to charge?  also where can I get a 110v wall charger?  (yes, thats two questions, I know, sorry)_

THANK YOU

"James"

as per usual, I often end up answering my own queries. Anyways...full charge <5 hrs via USB. Took it outside to acquire satellites and it automatically set up time, and allowed me to choose language and a few other things. Immediately a small golf course (Reidy Creek) which is a short executive course about 3 blocks away came up on the screen to Start Round.......KEWL...

"James"

4 hours ago, Hacker James said:

OK, got the product, read the manual, seems easy enough.

1 hour ago, Hacker James said:

as per usual, I often end up answering my own queries.

Sorry, I was still stuck on the fact that someone actually read a manual.

Good luck with it. A nice GPS watch appeals to me more than a phone GPS. I may take the plunge one day.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

6 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Sorry, I was still stuck on the fact that someone actually read a manual.

Good luck with it. A nice GPS watch appeals to me more than a phone GPS. I may take the plunge one day.

haha..well, hardly  would call it a manual, consists of a few paragraphs and images, but quite handy.  I dont think you can find a better price than Costco for the S2. $96.99 online, delivered in about 3 days, did not have to pay any surcharge.  The Garmin also as you know, keeps scores, access to Garmin Community to compare stored rounds with friends, if you are into that.

Not quite as sophisticated as GG, but gives me all I want.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

Note: This thread is 1881 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!