IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thoughts on first round of 2014... Played Buffalo Run yesterday, course was in pretty rough condition - fairways dormant, wet; greens dormant, moist and goose abused. Generally in much worse shape than my home course of Riverdale, but we could not get a tee time on short notice that fit at home (so much for the decline of golf. Well managed, maintained, and reasonably priced courses are doing quite well, thank you). The Run had a cart path only rule that considerably slowed the game (not so much for my partner Sefa and I as we are confirmed walkers, as for the two cart aficionados we were paired with) resulting in a painfully slow 5 hour round. Probably the path only rule was unavoidable in order to preserve what was left of a usually lush but currently suffering course. Both Sefa and I were very rusty not having played since last November and our scores were a good 8 strokes off of our typical round at Buffalo Run. A few interesting notes: 1. Sefa scored 5 points over me (a little more than his usual 1 or 2 better). 2. Both of us stunk up the greens with 3 putts, each with a disgusting 39 putts! 3. Fairways 100% for me, 63.6% for Sefa. 4. GIR 11% for me, 17% for Sefa. What was the issue? My drives were as long or longer than Sefa's, and a lot more accurate. We both stunk up the greens, but Sefa hit one more in regulation.

What do you think your doing from the tee that your not doing from the fairway. I am guessing that you were barley missing the greens? That seems to be a big difference in your ball striking. The funny thing is, your doing better with the clubs that are harder to hit. Unless i am missing something. In your opinion, how is it Sefa came in 5 up?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What do you think your doing from the tee that your not doing from the fairway. I am guessing that you were barley missing the greens? That seems to be a big difference in your ball striking. The funny thing is, your doing better with the clubs that are harder to hit. Unless i am missing something.

In your opinion, how is it Sefa came in 5 up?

I was not getting consistent contact with my irons, and it cost me strokes. I think primarily from not getting weight forward through the ball.

Basically just very rusty, haven't been able to practice or play on account of weather and other responsibilities. Hope to have more time and better conditions soon!

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

I was not getting consistent contact with my irons, and it cost me strokes. I think primarily from not getting weight forward through the ball. Basically just very rusty, haven't been able to practice or play on account of weather and other responsibilities. Hope to have more time and better conditions soon!

The weather doesn't necessarily mean you can't practice. I do most of my practice indoors, without a club. Just take slow motion swings or drills to work on your priority piece. You can make changes to your swing before you even get out to hit a ball. Actually, now that I think about it, I prefer to practice indoors rather than at the range or something, simply because I can use mirrors to confirm that I'm making the right movements. When the weather is better I can use my net, but it's still kind of a pain to set up my camera, hit a few balls, run back in the house and look over my film.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by CR McDivot

I was not getting consistent contact with my irons, and it cost me strokes. I think primarily from not getting weight forward through the ball.

Basically just very rusty, haven't been able to practice or play on account of weather and other responsibilities. Hope to have more time and better conditions soon!

The weather doesn't necessarily mean you can't practice. I do most of my practice indoors, without a club. Just take slow motion swings or drills to work on your priority piece. You can make changes to your swing before you even get out to hit a ball.

Actually, now that I think about it, I prefer to practice indoors rather than at the range or something, simply because I can use mirrors to confirm that I'm making the right movements. When the weather is better I can use my net, but it's still kind of a pain to set up my camera, hit a few balls, run back in the house and look over my film.

Agree, I have a great wintertime practice routine - would work for anyone with a carpeted living room & an understanding wife.     I have about 10-12 feet to chip into a recliner in the corner of the room (could use a laundry basket, box, etc).     I work on all my chipping clubs - ball bounces off the recliner to the middle of the room & I finish up with a putt into a hole sized white coaster ... makes it as realistic as possible - not just grooving dozens upon dozens of chip shots.    I've actually been doing this for the past couple years & chipping is by far the strongest part of my game - my buddies can't believe how often I hole out.    It's great practice & actually alot of fun - I really enjoy it ... try it

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Quote:

Originally Posted by billchao

Quote:

Originally Posted by CR McDivot

The weather doesn't necessarily mean you can't practice. I do most of my practice indoors, without a club. Just take slow motion swings or drills to work on your priority piece. You can make changes to your swing before you even get out to hit a ball.

Actually, now that I think about it, I prefer to practice indoors rather than at the range or something, simply because I can use mirrors to confirm that I'm making the right movements. When the weather is better I can use my net, but it's still kind of a pain to set up my camera, hit a few balls, run back in the house and look over my film.

Agree, I have a great wintertime practice routine - would work for anyone with a carpeted living room & an understanding wife.     I have about 10-12 feet to chip into a recliner in the corner of the room (could use a laundry basket, box, etc).     I work on all my chipping clubs - ball bounces off the recliner to the middle of the room & I finish up with a putt into a hole sized white coaster ... makes it as realistic as possible - not just grooving dozens upon dozens of chip shots.    I've actually been doing this for the past couple years & chipping is by far the strongest part of my game - my buddies can't believe how often I hole out.    It's great practice & actually alot of fun - I really enjoy it ... try it

As I recall, your wife is also an addicted golfer? :roll:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My living/family room happened to have a long corridor that I can hit plastic golf balls from one end to another.   I can putt, chip, pitch, and even take full swing with plastic practice balls.   I can get a lot of practice done without going to range.   Next time for your move, consider that for your house requirement ... ;-) .

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

My living/family room happened to have a long corridor that I can hit plastic golf balls from one end to another.   I can putt, chip, pitch, and even take full swing with plastic practice balls.   I can get a lot of practice done without going to range.   Next time for your move, consider that for your house requirement ... ;-) .

Don't forget high ceilings :-) My dream is to have a barn with loft space I can convert into a full golf studio.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

My living/family room happened to have a long corridor that I can hit plastic golf balls from one end to another.   I can putt, chip, pitch, and even take full swing with plastic practice balls.   I can get a lot of practice done without going to range.   Next time for your move, consider that for your house requirement ... .

Don't forget high ceilings

My dream is to have a barn with loft space I can convert into a full golf studio.

You could also build a large tent in you back yard with an area heater, just make sure you have a large windows to let in fresh air while you practice.

I've built something like this using parts from a place like: http://www.creativeshelters.com/

It's a 10'x10'x10' structure and put a sun shade material: http://www.coolaroousa.com/index.jsp

You might be able to use a plastic sheet (available at home depot) inside it to keep the warmth in.

I spent about $180 to build mine, and a retrofit for cold weather will probably cost less than $20. You just need a propane area heater for about $99 at home depot. Dyna-Glo 40K BTU 360 Degree Tank Top Gas Portable Heater

Use the extra coolaroo shade material instead of a net, if you want to save on the cost of a net. It lasts quite a long time (>5,000 hits so far).

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

You could also build a large tent in you back yard with an area heater, just make sure you have a large windows to let in fresh air while you practice. I've built something like this using parts from a place like: [URL=http://www.creativeshelters.com/]http://www.creativeshelters.com/[/URL] I built a 10'x10'x10' structure and put a sun shade material: [URL=http://www.coolaroousa.com/index.jsp]http://www.coolaroousa.com/index.jsp[/URL] You might be able to use a plastic sheet (available at home depot) inside it to keep the warmth in. I spent about $180 to build mine, and a retrofit for cold weather will probably cost less than $20. You just need a propane area heater for about $99 at home depot. Dyna-Glo 40K BTU 360 Degree Tank Top Gas Portable Heater Use the coolaroo shade material instead of a net, if you want to save on the cost of a net. It lasts quite a long time (>5,000 hits so far).

How is it in the snow? ;-)

Bill

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

You could also build a large tent in you back yard with an area heater, just make sure you have a large windows to let in fresh air while you practice.

I've built something like this using parts from a place like: http://www.creativeshelters.com/

I built a 10'x10'x10' structure and put a sun shade material: http://www.coolaroousa.com/index.jsp

You might be able to use a plastic sheet (available at home depot) inside it to keep the warmth in.

I spent about $180 to build mine, and a retrofit for cold weather will probably cost less than $20. You just need a propane area heater for about $99 at home depot. Dyna-Glo 40K BTU 360 Degree Tank Top Gas Portable Heater

Use the coolaroo shade material instead of a net, if you want to save on the cost of a net. It lasts quite a long time (>5,000 hits so far).

How is it in the snow?

Well, I think we had about 0.25" of snow in 20 years here. It hailed a few years ago. :-D

I think the basic structure should hold up with 2' of snow on it. The conduit material is $5.99/10' section for the 1" thick kind. So, if it does collapse, repairs are relatively cheap. I tested the strength of the corner pieces, it can support about 200 pounds for a short time.

Check them out, they can withstand pretty strong winds (55 to 60mph the Santa Ana winds)  in CA and AZ. I'm sure a little snow will be okay.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

My living/family room happened to have a long corridor that I can hit plastic golf balls from one end to another.   I can putt, chip, pitch, and even take full swing with plastic practice balls.   I can get a lot of practice done without going to range.   Next time for your move, consider that for your house requirement ... .

Don't forget high ceilings

My dream is to have a barn with loft space I can convert into a full golf studio.

High ceiling, I've got.   It's hard to bring sand inside for bunker practice.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Well, I think we had about 0.25" of snow in 20 years here. It hailed a few years ago.

I think the basic structure should hold up with 2' of snow on it. The conduit material is $5.99/10' section for the 1" thick kind. So, if it does collapse, repairs are relatively cheap. I tested the strength of the corner pieces, it can support about 200 pounds for a short time.

Check them out, they can withstand pretty strong winds (55 to 60mph the Santa Ana winds)  in CA and AZ. I'm sure a little snow will be okay.

Haha, just poking fun :beer:

Honestly, if I were going to build something like that in my yard, I'd build one of those arched PVC greenhouses. The nurseries around here have them all year round, so I know it will work in my climate. Plus, I'll be able to use it most of the year for gardening.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Well, I think we had about 0.25" of snow in 20 years here. It hailed a few years ago.

Haha, just poking fun

Honestly, if I were going to build something like that in my yard, I'd build one of those arched PVC greenhouses. The nurseries around here have them all year round, so I know it will work in my climate. Plus, I'll be able to use it most of the year for gardening.

I prefer steel to PVC, but maybe in your environment the plastic is better as it does not rust.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I prefer steel to PVC, but maybe in your environment the plastic is better as it does not rust.

PVC is cheap and easy to bend. Steel, not so much. Plus, in a greenhouse, there is constant moisture; it's a humid environment.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Quote:

PVC is cheap and easy to bend. Steel, not so much. Plus, in a greenhouse, there is constant moisture; it's a humid environment.

Could you use it to grow vegetables in the winter?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

If I add a heater, but then the surrounding material would have to have insulating properties, as well. It would end up costing more to build and require more planning, but yea, it can be done.

Although if I grow vegetables in the winter, where will I fit the golf net?

Bill

My Swing Thread

Quote:

If I add a heater, but then the surrounding material would have to have insulating properties, as well. It would end up costing more to build and require more planning, but yea, it can be done.

Although if I grow vegetables in the winter, where will I fit the golf net?

That was my next question. ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I've been working on updating my clubs so far this year, going to start shopping for a backyard net, and have been visiting the local golf stores weekly to get my mindset back into the game. Along with that I've been reading or skimming through various golf books from the local library. I don't think I'll look at building a greenhouse because it would just turn into a storage space for lawnmower and snowblower and bicycles and wagons and anything else. Great to have but not for now.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Note: This thread is 1056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!