IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

...and the saga of the bogey golfer continues.

I've worked on my short-game extensively the past 5 seasons.  I have good wedges, apparently know how to use them, and get the ball close to the pin on chips and pitches. I made a goal this year of getting the short shots around the green all the way to the hole.  Holed out a handful so far this year.  Hitting the stick happens regularly, too.

Here's the latest sore spot:  During Sunday's round, I put 6 chips and pitches inside 6 feet.  I made exactly ONE of those putts and it was the one hit to 'kick-in' (hit the stick) distance.  Ouch.  And I practice 2', 3' and 5' putts before every round.  A couple were pulled left, a couple misreads, a couple I just didn't hit firm enough, etc.

It's always something. :blink:

Anyway, my 4-some decided to play an extra 9 at a course with 27 holes.  It was a perfect, albeit HOT and sultry summer day.  My best two nine-hole scores were 41-43 for 84.  My initial two nines were 43-44 for an 87.  Pretty consistent scoring over all three nines.

The OTHER thing that happened was I dunked 4 balls for penalty strokes.  All avoidable, but happened nonetheless.  A goal set a few years back was limiting at all cost those unforced penalties and finishing 18 holes with the same ball.  See water?  Hit in the OTHER direction!  One was a heeled 5-wood 2nd shot on a par 5 after splitting the fairway off the tee.  Instant double-bogey.  Another was a 'beefed' wedge from 100 right into a pond guarding the entire green.

Just when you think you're almost there, something else in the game starts leakin' oil!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dave,

Don't feel bad. I had the best ball striking day of my life. It started with me trying my old Callaway Razr instead of my new Taylormade jet speed. The Razr was so good - never missed a fairway!!!!! All irons good, 3 wood perfect. All my layups GREAT!

Then what do I do with all this perfection?????

Hit stupid wedge shots too short and into bunkers. Pace off putts and still screw up by hitting too long or too short - with the inclined greens, I managed to 3 putt multiple times. Aim is good, pace is bad. Still had my bad hole with a triple bogey due to stupidity. As a result, after the triple, I was back to bogey golf again.

Ended up with 86 which is decent but not really considering how good I was hitting the ball. Anyway JetSpeed goes in the driver pile of no goods.....

Dave,

Don't feel bad. I had the best ball striking day of my life. It started with me trying my old Callaway Razr instead of my new Taylormade jet speed. The Razr was so good - never missed a fairway!!!!! All irons good, 3 wood perfect. All my layups GREAT!

Then what do I do with all this perfection?????

Hit stupid wedge shots too short and into bunkers. Pace off putts and still screw up by hitting too long or too short - with the inclined greens, I managed to 3 putt multiple times. Aim is good, pace is bad. Still had my bad hole with a triple bogey due to stupidity. As a result, after the triple, I was back to bogey golf again.

Ended up with 86 which is decent but not really considering how good I was hitting the ball. Anyway JetSpeed goes in the driver pile of no goods.....

Good score!  And yet another perfect example of 'it's always something!'  Thanks for the pep talk.  It's getting better.  Just not all the way there yet.  I do feel one of those 'career rounds' coming this season.  Hope you get one as well.  Also, I just plunked down the *choke* money for a Ping G30 driver.  Good hits are netting about 25 yards farther than my few years old TM Stage II adjustable driver.  I hit some shorter irons into holes yesterday than I've ever hit.  That helps in the 'hitting greens' department.  Then the putting goes off the rails!!!  Hahaha.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I always wanted a day when I would not miss my shots and this was the day. Unfortunately I found out I have other glaring weaknesses. I hit every par 3 green - only to bogey half of them due to 3 putts. My Callaway Razr is so good! I put a Titleist x-stiff blue shaft from my son's 910 driver (had someone put on the adapter). I keep forgetting how good it is.

My wedge play is rotten and my putting is still terrible - but aim is a lot better.

I recently found significant extra distance with a swing modification. It is more pronounced on shorter clubs, but noticeable throughout the bag. Gap wedge, for example, increased from about 75 yards to over 95, and 4-wood from 180 to 200. Not sure why it's not proportionate, but I'll take it.

Problem in the short run on one of the Executive courses, par 62, is club selection. Haven't totally adjusted., so going over greens frequently. Thru 12, was 11 over, then injured a hamstring (recurring) on # 13 tee. Parred two holes after that hitting hybrid on short par 3s, basically from one leg. Wore out and rode in from # 16........ .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808hacker View Post

Not sharing? :-)

Was the modification easy?

Quote:

I recently found significant extra distance with a swing modification.

Yeah, how did you do it, @808hacker ?  Was it easy?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Waiting on Skenny. :-) I've tried a whole bunch of stuff. Short of starting over and really getting fit, the ball is not going much farther for me no matter what I seem to do!

Waiting on Skenny. :-) I've tried a whole bunch of stuff. Short of starting over and really getting fit, the ball is not going much farther for me no matter what I seem to do!

While waiting for @Skenny , I can tell you how I did.  I started golf specific workout at gym and upgraded my club set to newer, fitted set.  I can say I increased about 5 - 20 yards, lob wedge to driver, respectively.  I also took some lessons.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Yeah, I know the gym would help for sure! 20 yards further is great! I've taken lessons in the past but it took me so long to get a repeatable swing that I have kind of given up the chase for more distance. Every now and then I will try something but usually with consequences.... bad ones!

I've actually lost distance with my irons the past month or two because I'm coming over the top and flipping, so my swing is a mess. But it's coincided with my driving exploding to the point where I just had a round last week with no sub-240 drives and had two this weekend that blew past 300. And almost all straight save for one or two big misses when my back gets tired. I have no idea what I'm doing differently other than the last thought I had after my last truly bad drive was "I'm going to keep my arms as far away from me as possible throughout the swing." So my driving has been carrying me, but I can't convert a damn thing. That round with no sub 240 drives had 0 GIRs. Still shot a 91, my second best score ever. This game makes no sense, but as long as driving is on auto pilot, I don't feel like tinkering with the swing, haha. It's taken too long to get here and I'm worried my driving is like gravity to Wile E Coyote: it's not an issue until I think about it.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I've actually lost distance with my irons the past month or two because I'm coming over the top and flipping, so my swing is a mess. But it's coincided with my driving exploding to the point where I just had a round last week with no sub-240 drives and had two this weekend that blew past 300. And almost all straight save for one or two big misses when my back gets tired. I have no idea what I'm doing differently other than the last thought I had after my last truly bad drive was "I'm going to keep my arms as far away from me as possible throughout the swing." So my driving has been carrying me, but I can't convert a damn thing. That round with no sub 240 drives had 0 GIRs. Still shot a 91, my second best score ever. This game makes no sense, but as long as driving is on auto pilot, I don't feel like tinkering with the swing, haha. It's taken too long to get here and I'm worried my driving is like gravity to Wile E Coyote: it's not an issue until I think about it.

I call BS. :-P

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I call BS.

Thats because we havent played together in a while, haha.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I've gone out to you twice. Now it's your turn. :-P

Haha, well, like I said, if I'm ever up Albany-ways...

Dom's Sticks:

Haha, well, like I said, if I'm ever up Albany-ways...

So, never, haha.

BTW, to the regular posters in this thread, how many rounds in the 90's does one have to have either consecutively or in a given time period before they can post in this thread about breaking 90?  I had 2 in a row and am may never get this close again!

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

So, never, haha.

BTW, to the regular posters in this thread, how many rounds in the 90's does one have to have either consecutively or in a given time period before they can post in this thread about breaking 90?  I had 2 in a row and am may never get this close again!

Security! Get this interloper out of here!

Dom's Sticks:

Note: This thread is 1026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!