IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note:Β This thread is 1036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

On 4/22/2016 at 10:37 AM, CoachCad8 said:

I've posted in this a while ago and just haven't been able to get over the hump. Im 25, and started playing around 3-4 years ago. I shoot 91-95 very consistently but just can't get past playing bogey golf. I shoot a couple pars, a couple dubs, and a bunch of bogeys. I am very confident once I get to the 150 but my long irons are inconsistent and I have no drive (usually hit a 5 hybrid off the teebox unless its a dogleg right then I swing for the fences with the ol driver). I know what I need to work on, just haven't been able to fix my slice in my drive. Usually hitting my 3rd from my playing partners 2nd shot.Β Β I think it might be time for some lessons but I don't want to look like a fool going to the pro saying hey I need to fix my drive, just like every other above averageΒ golfer who focuses on long game instead of short.Β 

Been back at itΒ and it's feeling great. My bag consists of driver, 3 wood, 5hybrid, 6i-sw. . I added an Adams Idea 23* Hybrid to fill the spot in between my 5 and 3 wood. (I strike the wood horribly so really the 5 hybrid was my longest club I can confidently hit.) I played 9 holes yesterday and shot a 43 and felt great. The 4 hybrid really added a nice touch off the teebox with a little extra distance and I actually drove well when I used my driver hitting 3 out of 4 fairways. If I can consistently do this off the tee, I feel it won't be long till I can break 90.Β 

Just bought a net and turf mat to get more practice in at home when I can't make it to the range or squeeze 9 in. The grind is on.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't posted in this thread in awhile. Β 

I did a lot of 'tweaking' to my swing since the end of last season. Β I changed my grip first... and then I've been working on trying to initiate the downswing with my lower body rather than my arms. Β 

All in all... this has led to a LOT of inconsistent golf. Β 

I've played 6 tournaments so far this season (7 tournament rounds). Β I've posted triple-digit scores in 4 of those 7 rounds... and my best was a 92, which came this past Sunday. Β 

I've also played a lot of random rounds... some good, some not-so-much. Β I posted a new personal best of 81 (43 - 38)Β in late March. Β That day... things just clicked. Β But, then for every round where I feel like things are coming together, I have days like the first tournament of the year (in early February) where I posted a 117. Β That day, I couldn't keep anything in play. Β 

My handicap, through it all, is exactly the same as I ended 2015 at... with a 16.7 index. Β 

I'm struggling with several aspects of my game right now. Β 

First and foremost is keeping it in play off the tee. Β I've gained about 13 yards on my average drive from the tee... but, over the last month, I've been really hitting the ball well (when I keep it in play). Β My drives are typically between 250 - 280 right now with a number finishing between 290 - 310. Β I'm not trying to kill the ball either... it's just better contact. Β The problem is that when I miss... I tend to miss bad. Β 

The bigger problem I've been having is very major inconsistencies with my short irons and wedges. Β If I find myself with an 8 iron or less into a green (which is the majority of the time)... I stand over the ball with a LOT of doubt in my mind. Β I know I'm capable of hitting a good shot... but I'm in my own head and I often sh-nk the ball or hit it fat. Β 

Still... I feel like I've started to turn a corner over the last 2 weeks. Β I'm currently on a self-imposed weekΒ long break. Β Next week, I'll be back at it preparing for another tournament next Saturday... but, until then... I'm trying to get out of my own head. Β 

Only 2 rounds of 89 or better this year so far is awfully frustrating!

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71Β - Pine IslandΒ Country Club - 6/25/2022
-Β 9 HolesΒ - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Β 

I'm interested to hear other bogey golfers view on shorter par 4s (350-425 yds) and par 5s. Β A lot of us seem to be saying that the driver is our most inconsistent club, and for me it definitely is too. Β That being said, I do not own a 3w, 5w, or hybrid because usually I can get that distance with a 4i. Β However, the lowest iron I am confident with is a 6i, which I can usually hit 190-200 yds. Β On short par 4s and par 5s, wouldn't it make sense for me (and other bogey golfers like me) to tee off with an iron rather than a driver. Β Two straight 200 yd shots will reach many par 4s in 2 and nearly all par 5s in 3.Β  I realize that the driver has the potential to get you 50-70 yards closer, but until you're confident with your driver, what is the actual payoff? Β 

Interested to hear people's views on this.

24 minutes ago, sarena1594 said:

I'm interested to hear other bogey golfers view on shorter par 4s (350-425 yds) and par 5s. Β A lot of us seem to be saying that the driver is our most inconsistent club, and for me it definitely is too. Β That being said, I do not own a 3w, 5w, or hybrid because usually I can get that distance with a 4i. Β However, the lowest iron I am confident with is a 6i, which I can usually hit 190-200 yds. Β On short par 4s and par 5s, wouldn't it make sense for me (and other bogey golfers like me) to tee off with an iron rather than a driver. Β Two straight 200 yd shots will reach many par 4s in 2 and nearly all par 5s in 3.Β  I realize that the driver has the potential to get you 50-70 yards closer, but until you're confident with your driver, what is the actual payoff? Β 

A miss hit driver is typically going to have you closer to the hole than a miss hit 6 iron. Excluding an OB shot. I could fall back from driver and hit my 19* hybrid, which I can get out to 220s pretty regularly, a miss hit will still be pretty decent length but still shorter than a miss hit driver.

That's my thought process, maybe not the smartest, but I'll almost always take a chance at being closer to the green for my second shot. Of course, it doesn't help that if I'm going OB off the tee it usually doesn't even matter what club I swing, it's still going OB.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon:Β Z355

:callaway:Β XR16 3 Wood
:tmade:Β AeroburnerΒ 19* 3 hybrid
:ping:Β I e1 ironsΒ 4-PW
:vokey:Β SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff:Β Harmonized Sole GrindΒ 56 andΒ Windy City Putter

27 minutes ago, sarena1594 said:

Sadly... I'm as inconsistent with my 4 iron as I am with my driver.

I lost the same number of balls from the tee over the weekend with my 4 iron as I did my driver... 3 each.

It's a safer club... sometimes, but generally... I'm gonna beΒ 50Β - 70 yards closer if I hit my driver, so I feel the risk is worth the reward.Β 

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71Β - Pine IslandΒ Country Club - 6/25/2022
-Β 9 HolesΒ - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Β 

35 minutes ago, sarena1594 said:

I don't consider 425 yds to be a shorter par 4, and I don't think you will get on in two using a 4 iron. I can hit my driver 220 yds, and still have 205 yds to the green which means a full 3 hybrid shot for me

1 minute ago, 9wood said:

I don't consider 425 yds to be a shorter par 4, and I don't think you will get on in two using a 4 iron. I can hit my driver 220 yds, and still have 205 yds to the green which means a full 3 hybrid shot for me

If he hits his 6 iron 190-200 he could get close to the green with 2 good shots. I could probably make the green in 2 good 4 iron shots. But hitting my 4 iron twice in a row that good is a much lower statistical possibility than hitting a decent drive and a good iron shot in.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

10 minutes ago, 9wood said:

Β 

7 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

If he hits his 6 iron 190-200 he could get close to the green with 2 good shots. I could probably make the green in 2 good 4 iron shots. But hitting my 4 iron twice in a row that good is a much lower statistical possibility than hitting a decent drive and a good iron shot in.

I have to agree with Jeremie here, but it definitely depends on the golfer (how consistent they are with irons vs. driver, how far they hit with each club, etc.). Β I tend to be statistically better with hitting two 4i shots rather than hitting driver, wedge just because I hit driver OB too often.

1 hour ago, sarena1594 said:

Β 

I have to agree with Jeremie here, but it definitely depends on the golfer (how consistent they are with irons vs. driver, how far they hit with each club, etc.). Β I tend to be statistically better with hitting two 4i shots rather than hitting driver, wedge just because I hit driver OB too often.

Have you tried a mini driver? I was decent with my driver for a while... hitting between 275 and 290, then the wheels came off, not sure how or why. I bought a Taylormad SLDR Mini Driver... wheels came right back on. I can easily crank them out there 250+, and I have MUCH more control over my missed hits.Β 

Just a suggestion.Β 

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

11 minutes ago, divot dave said:

Have you tried a mini driver? I was decent with my driver for a while... hitting between 275 and 290, then the wheels came off, not sure how or why. I bought a Taylormad SLDR Mini Driver... wheels came right back on. I can easily crank them out there 250+, and I have MUCH more control over my missed hits.Β 

Just a suggestion.Β 

I've never really understood how a mini-driver was much better than an actual driver. It's got a smaller head so I would assume it's got a lower MOI and less forgiveness due to the smaller face. Couldn't you just go with a 3 wood shaft length in a regular driver head that maybe has a bit higher loft? I don't know, just curious because I didn't really see the mini-driver used much. Only person I know that had one is @billchao

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

31 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I've never really understood how a mini-driver was much better than an actual driver. It's got a smaller head so I would assume it's got a lower MOI and less forgiveness due to the smaller face. Couldn't you just go with a 3 wood shaft length in a regular driver head that maybe has a bit higher loft? I don't know, just curious because I didn't really see the mini-driver used much. Only person I know that had one is @billchao

Could boil down to preference. I don't really like the large bulky driver heads that are out there. So I wanted something that was larger than a 3 wood with less loft and smaller than a driver head. The mini driver turned out to be a really good option. And who knows, perhaps its psychological, but I keep the ball in play with it. Misses are most often first or second cut ofΒ rough but still playable, rarely do I lose a ball off in the woods with it.Β 

IN MY BAG

2 minutes ago, divot dave said:

Could boil down to preference. I don't really like the large bulky driver heads that are out there. So I wanted something that was larger than a 3 wood with less loft and smaller than a driver head. The mini driver turned out to be a really good option. And who knows, perhaps its psychological, but I keep the ball in play with it. Misses are most often first or second cut ofΒ rough but still playable, rarely do I lose a ball off in the woods with it.Β 

Fair enough, aesthetics definitely have an effect on how well I can hit certain clubs for sure. If I don't like the look of it I can't get myself to hit it well.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

1 hour ago, divot dave said:

Just a suggestion.Β 

I would definitely be open to testing it out at a store. Β Most of the reason I don't drive well is definitely because of my golf ability. Β  However, a small part of it could be that I only started seriously playing a little over a year ago and when I do use a driver, its an old Taylormade from the 90s without any of the new technologies they have on drivers nowadays. Β Currently, I'm saving up to go test out and buy something in the $150-300 range. Β Maybe something new would help, maybe it wouldn't. Β But it would be good to get fitted to something that fits my swing.

3 hours ago, divot dave said:

Could boil down to preference. I don't really like the large bulky driver heads that are out there. So I wanted something that was larger than a 3 wood with less loft and smaller than a driver head. The mini driver turned out to be a really good option.

This pretty much sums up the mini driver. It is a specializedΒ clubΒ designed not to replace the driver off the tee, but the 3W. It is less forgiving than a driver but much more forgiving than a 3W.

Better players (myself not included) who primarily use their 3W off the tee will likely better results with a mini driver than a 3W. I still switch between one or the other in my bag, depending on where I'm playing.

• Upvote 1

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 4/28/2016 at 3:10 PM, billchao said:

This pretty much sums up the mini driver. It is a specializedΒ clubΒ designed not to replace the driver off the tee, but the 3W. It is less forgiving than a driver but much more forgiving than a 3W.

Better players (myself not included) who primarily use their 3W off the tee will likely better results with a mini driver than a 3W. I still switch between one or the other in my bag, depending on where I'm playing.

I've carried two drivers before for this purpose. Β I think it is time to consider this option again for me. Β  My 3W is too inaccurate off tee or off deck.. Β  Mini driver will come handy on a few holes at my home course. Β Then again, I have lost driver accuracy recently (65% -> 54% fairway hit). Β  Sigh.

My HI has been below 16 for 2 months, knock on wood. Β Β 

Played my 1st club tournament of the year. Β  A well known sandbagger won with net 64. Β  He bettered his best score in his handicap system (the last 20 scores at the same course) by 8 strokes. Β  And this guy complained about high handicapper (bogey golfers at my club) getting too many handicap strokes. Β  WTF! Β  The good news was that the club handicap committee wised up a bit by recording his score in the system. Β  Before, the committee had no idea which scores the sandbaggers are entering. Β Β 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Shot my first legit under 90 score with an 87. Had two double bogeys on the first two holes too and came back from it. Focusing on a few tips from Harvey Penicks Little Red BookΒ and then thinking about the swing path diagrams y'all posted when I was talking about my slice seemed to help keep me focused on the current shot and not the whole round. Also having my new 23* hybrid off the teebox really helped me out. Had a lot more manageable approach shots to the green versus hitting drives out of the woods.Β 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, CoachCad8 said:

Shot my first legit under 90 score with an 87. Had two double bogeys on the first two holes too and came back from it. Focusing on a few tips from Harvey Penicks Little Red BookΒ and then thinking about the swing path diagrams y'all posted when I was talking about my slice seemed to help keep me focused on the current shot and not the whole round. Also having my new 23* hybrid off the teebox really helped me out. Had a lot more manageable approach shots to the green versus hitting drives out of the woods.Β 

excellent... congratulations!Β 

And nice recovery. I hope you are able to build on that.Β 

• Upvote 1

IN MY BAG

I can have sub 45 9 hole rounds, 41 and up, but can't seem to hold it together for 18. Β I am getting better but just not scoring better. Β Greens and NGRs are much longer putts or harder ones giving out comes of 3 or 4 putts or chip and 2 putts. Β 

I switched to using a 13* 3 wood off the tee and am hitting more fairways. and have not lost much distance if any. Β Thought a pull hosel rocket creeps up about a few couple of times a round if im not careful. Don't get me wrong when it is out of play i hate it, but if I use older small headed driver, than the distances are the same with slices coming into play, and a new larger headed driver, I can't seem to turn over so they start right stay right slice right.

But as long as its in play i have been able to use that same 3 wood or a 5 woodΒ and get ngr on the same hole that i hit the hosel rocket off of. if i made my putts i would have saved par.

I wouldn't mind checking out a mini driver but they are cost prohibitive at the moment esp when i was able to get a 13* cleveland launcher titanium for $17 plus shipping. Β I really don't know what added benefits i would get from it.

Note:Β This thread is 1036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!