IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

had a great one today...
misjudged my approach shot and flew the green...
on the back side of the green and cant see the flag due to big hills surrounding the back of the green...
pulled my sw out of the bag and that baby cut through the fluffy rough like butter...
ball flopped picture perfect into the air and i lost sight of it when it was on its way down... climbed over the hill to the green... didnt see my ball... i knew it had to be on the green somewhere... looked in the cup... there it was... sweet
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Mine was yesterday at the par 4 7th 430 yard dogleg right of my favorite course. The dogleg is a 70-80 degree at about 240 from the white tees. The fairway up to the turn is narrow and my draw tends to get me in trouble/trees. I have been practicing working the ball and decided this was the perfect hole to try a low hard fade(heck in the trees if it works, thats where I am usually anyway). I sat up, swung, and knew I had nailed the shot. My ball started left and faded right past the corner of the dogleg. After roll I had a 9 iron into the green from the middle of the fairway. I ended up three putting from 10 feet for a bogie, but that shot made my round. I find it funny how a round can be terrible, but one good purposeful shot can make the round a success.

In my  Warbird Hot stand bag:
nike.gif Dymo2 Str8 fit 10.5 or  HiBore XLS 10.5,  Steelhead Plus 3 and 5 woods,

NP2 3H,  DCI 990 4-PW,  Forged + 54/12,  RAC 58/8,

Classic #1,  NXT Tour or  Burner TP

A 30 yard pitch over a long bunker and less than 15 feet of green to work with. Flop shots are not my specialty, especially from this distance, but I launched it perfectly. It landed about 8 feet in front of the hole and rolled for about four.

Unfortunately this was to save, what ended up being, a triple bogey.

PS. One in my group hole a 100 yard shot from a fairway bunker. It looked like it was long, but backspin pulled it all the way back to the hole (probably 10 feet or so).

Two memorable shots today.
1. On a par 3 my opponent was on - about 15 feet out for birdie. I missed the green short. I holed my chip . He missed his putt. (this was one hole after talking about how Dr. Rotella advises that one should try to hole everything w/wedge – rather than simply try to get close for the up&down.;)
2. On 18 after a perfect drive, I was 120 out and hit a perfect PW right at it and hit the pin . The ricochet left me a 15 footer, which I missed.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Had a good one today. Decent drive on our 6th; ~300 yards leaving ~50 yards to go. Little pitching wedge off the back foot, stiff wristed. Lands on front of the green, always on line, rolls the ~10 feet and topples into the front of the hole. First eagle I've had in a little while and it felt good!

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Two, on back-to-back holes, 9 and 10.

On nine I clipped a tree which sent my ball well right near the 10th tee. I was on about a 30° downslope, the pin was over a bunker on a fairly steep green only ten feet from the edge. I hit the 60 degree wedge, got the ball up as high as I realistically could, and it landed in the fringe, took one big hop, and sat where it landed, three feet right of the pin. Made the putt.

On the next hole I creamed a drive, had 67 yards in off a slight downslope (10° or so), and hit my sand wedge, a little 3/4 action. Ball hit ten feet behind the pin, took a hop, and pulled back to a foot or so.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My best shot of the week also happened to be my first birdie.

It came from about a 27 ft putt on an aerated sanded green with a bit of an uneven 2 way break.

Otherwise, the hole was very modest, I think, by the standards here: a 97 yard sandwedge to the green, followed by the "long" putt.

Parts of the green were invisible from the tee, even though only 100 yards away. After landing the sandwedge shot, and the initial "splash" of sand, the ball bounced and disappeared from view. I thought I was off the green, but 50 yards further up the track the ball came back into view on the green.

For long putts, after checking the break, I look at the hole while I putt and try to let my subconscious do the calculations.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

2 on the same hole. A solid 9i right at the pin on a short par 3 and then i dropped the putt from about 10-12 feet and it broke a good distance.

For a high 'capper like me any birdie is a good one.

On #17 today I pushed my drive 20 yards into the woods, was lucky enough to find my ball. Only shot was to punch out sideways and that left me 145 yards for my 3rd shot. I hit a 8-iron right over the flag and was left with 45 feet for par. I drained the putt, thats my shot of the week

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

548yd. Par 5, hard dog leg right. If you cut the corner just right and avoid the houses along the fenceline you can put yourself in a decent spot with about 225-230 to the center of the green. Luckily, with my drive, I had done just that. While waiting for the green to clear, I giggled to myself and my playing partner I was going to roll the ball up on the green into the group playing ahead of us. After I wised up and waited, I "let 'er rip" only after they had putted out. I struck it well, and thought I might of actually made it to fringe, when I heard " Oh My God !!!," from the group ahead of us as I saw their carts driving off, and then suddenly stop. Fearing that I missed seeing a straggler walking off the green, and just rendered him unconscious or worse, we quickly drove up to see if I had just committed manslaughter. As we got closer, I heard " Holy S**t dude, it hit the stick, it hit the stick !!" from one of their foursome. After closer inspection, 3ft tap-in for eagle. Sure beats the potential of being sued, or even jail time any day.

I have had 3 eagle putts my last 2 rounds and have made exactly 0.

That being said, the shots that got me there were good... twice, on a short par 5, tees were moved up a bit and both days I smoked drives down the left side of the fairway and hit 5-iron to about 15 feet... missed both putts, one lipped the edge, one about 3-inches short.

Best shot was with my new 3-wood... had 250 left to center of green, straight uphill all the way, 230 gets me front edge, also a decent tail wind... ripped my 3-wood... perfect little fade, rides the wind and ends up on the back of the green... pin was in the front... 2 putted from 50 ft... mainly it just felt nice to destroy the ball 250+ yards uphill with my 3-wood... my old 3-wood would have certainly been short, or pulled.

I just wish I could make one of these eagles and get my first of the year already... I'll blame the aeirated greens for now.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Was at my phys ed golf class and he sent us to the school course to go whack around. I wasn't really playing but on the 380 yard par 4, I drive one to the top of a 20 ft hill and have about 100 yards left, back down that 20 ft hill and the pin was tucked into the front right of the green. I said, alright, time to hit a serious shot. Lined up with my sand wedge, about 15-18 mph wind in my face, only used a 1/4th inch choke, tried to work in a mini fade to control the spin and whacked away. BOOM, smacked 2 ft past the hole, on the line, hopped back 2 inches. birdie putt made

had 2 today... #7 par 5... 15-20 yrd chip for birdie... hit right on the fringe and rolled all the way in
#18 par 5... dogleg right... tried to slice it around the corner but the ball went straight as an arrow instead... into the woods dead ahead about 270 yrd drive... had no shot to advance the ball... smart play would have been to chip out... back towards the teebox... i said eff it... its the last hole... lets take a hero shot... pulled 3w... aimed towards the green... blasted it out of the woods without touching so much as a branch... put me in position for a gir and a par... sweet(lucky)
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Had golf class again today, the instructor just sent us out to go whack around on the course. Only got to play 3 holes, the others in my 4some didn't really play golf. Recently, I've been knocking my approach shots stiff. out of these three holes, I hit all three of them in regulation and within 15 ft of the pin. Started on the 4th hole, 2nd shot was 165 yds out, pin on the front right, wind behind me, used my 7 with a 3/4 swing to keep it low. It carried about 10 ft off the ground and then tailed up at the end another 6 feet and dropped 15 feet from the hole. Par 4 5th hole, 2nd shot was 140 into the wind, pin on the front. Picked up my 8, hooded it a bit and dropped and stopped 8 ft from the hole, drained for birdie. Lastly, the par 3 6th hole, 140 to an elevated green, wind in back. Threw a 9 up in the air and hoped for the wind, and it hit the false front and rolled up 10 ft from the hole, with an uphill putt for birdie.

Last year I barely made birdie once a round and I went around today and stuck two out of 3 holes. Feels good, I think I know what I need to bring it to scratch.

I was out playing yesterday. Well playing is a term I will use loosely! lol I am still working on ball choice, tee height, sand and chips. I like to go out and play once in a while to see what I really need to focus on. Anyway.....

So, I really have two shots I am proud of from yesterday.

The first was a bunker shot. Lately my sand work has improved immensely. I was in what I will call a green "guardian" bunker. It was about 30yrds off the green, from the center of the bunker. My shot was sweet and true! I left the ball within 3'. It was a 1 putt par save.

The second shot was when I was on the right side in the trees. It was a Par 5 and I was towards the end of the tree line. I really had 3 choices, 1 (safe) pitch to the fairway and suck it up; 2 (risky) attempt a sliced shot around the trees onto the fairway; and 3 (insane) go at the green through the trees.

So I choose to slice a pitch onto the fairway. I was close to a tree, but not in my swing / ball path, and had a hole to shoot through two others. I lined up, set the ball back a little, and opened the face. One full swing later, the ball took flight. It head right towards the tree in my direct path. Just before it got to the tree, but just after it cleared the other one....it turned perfectly to the right and flew out to the fairway! It left me with a tough 3rd shot to reach the green....but I have never tracked GIR's until this year anyway!

LD F Speed 9.5 Driver Stiff
MX 700 3W Stiff
MP Fli Hi 2, 3, 4
MP 52 5i-9i
MP-T 47.06, 51.06, & 58.10 White Hot XG Teron Putter ProV1x ShoesQUOTE:"I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones" - Terry "The Wedge Guy" Koehler

I was out playing yesterday. Well playing is a term I will use loosely! lol I am still working on ball choice, tee height, sand and chips. I like to go out and play once in a while to see what I really need to focus on. Anyway.....

Haha, nice job, man.

I had a good one today that picked up the spirits of an otherwise dull round. I played 18 holes with my dad at this course that doesn't have a driving range. I hate keeping score for my handicap if there is no range for me to warm up on (for obvious reasons), and of course, started off with a triple on the 420 yard opening par-4 hole. Perfect. Anyway, I grind along and along and am playing pretty poorly off the tee (something that easily could have been fixed on the range- my ball position was too far left and I baby hooked every tee shot into the left side rough and didn't realize why this was happening until the 9th hole). We get to the 6th hole. 184 yard par-3 with an elevated green into the wind. Pin is way in front. I drew my 4-iron way too much and the wind knocked it down into a greenside bunker, leaving me with barely any green to work with. The bunker has a pretty decent wall that you have to clear, so I opened the clubface quite a bit and moved the ball back in my stance a bit so I could pick it somewhat clean. Well, I picked it too clean and skied it over the green into the rough on the other side. I collected myself, thought about breaking my club and then thought better of it, took the walk of shame to my ball and reset myself. It was about a 20-22 yard shot only. I squared the club face up, took it about 30% back and 65% through with my 56 degree, and holed it out to save my par. You know that quote "that will keep you coming back?" Yea.

Constantine

Par 5 18th: drive straight, topped the second shot but it wormed its way along the ground to about 129 yads from the green. Aced the third shot to three feet, pin high. Sank the put for a birdie. Nice ending to a good back nine.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

• Administrator
Drive up the right side (in the rough - a draw that didn't) of #13, and a hybrid from 250 to the front of the green. 30-40 feet for eagle, missed, but a tap-in birdie.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets