IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

saevel25
Note: This thread is 2126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

This movie definitely left me with a different feeling than any other Star Wars has.

Im no ultra fan but definitely a fan.  I think you have to see it and then react.

I don’t know if we are open to further discussion of detail or not.  I avoided everything related except one trailer before viewing so I had no idea what to expect.  It was stimulating for sure!

The last time a thread was set up for discussion that involved spoilers. I suspect someone might set one up soon ?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Movie was wide released Thursday night, so enough people should have seen it by now to merit this thread. Again, warning, SPOILERS AHEAD!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

17 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Movie was wide released Thursday night, so enough people should have seen it by now to merit this thread. Again, warning, SPOILERS AHEAD!

Not enough time :p You need at least 2 weeks. Maybe more with the holidays coming up ;) 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

The last time a thread was set up for discussion that involved spoilers. I suspect someone might set one up soon ?

No. This topic is fine. The movie's out. If you're participating in this topic now, AFTER the movie's opening weekend… you should expect spoilers.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's 93% critics, 56% audience on RTs. Wow. We have another polarizing movie. 

Spoiler

I had a great time. People seem to be complaining that this movie didn't follow the setup of Force Awakens, but I haven't seen that movie since it came out and didn't really remember it to the letter. For me, as a more casual fan, I thought the Last Jedi was entertaining and satisfying. 

Was it Citizen Kane? No, but it's not trying to be. It was a really fun, classic movie experience, and I enjoyed it. It's sort of a throwback nowadays to be able to enjoy a movie in a theater with an enthusiastic audience, and I appreciated that. 

If I have one gripe, it's that I wish Kylo Ren and Rey really did team up for real, and fought together in the final film. That would've been a cool twist, but they immediately reversed course after that cool light saber battle. Oh well. Otherwise, I had a great time. Maybe it's a par, but the experience elevates it to a birdie for me! :beer:

Edited by JetFan1983

Constantine

I thought it was very well done. I'm not a power geek ComicCon guy but I grew up with Star Wars so there's that. I think the reviews can be quite different just based on the age of the reviewer. Anyone can appreciate the series, but I think those of us who saw the original movies in the theaters when they came out have a different perspective. Almost a sense of nostalgia for me, and kinda hard seeing Princess Leia since passing. I found it pretty emotional seeing Luke and Leia together. I thought the whole sequence of Kylo Ren/ Rae and 'The supreme leader felt a bit rushed. Some hokey stuff of course but that's Disney's influence there. But I really liked the movie overall. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

A friend and I went to late showing last night.  I’m going to give it a missed four foot birdie putt for a tap in par.  I enjoyed it for the most part.  Loved seeing Mark Hamill as grumpy old man.

My biggest complaint (and it’s fairly minor) was the lack detail paid to Snoke.  I really wanted to know his backstory.   It wasn’t central to the plot at all, and didn’t take anything away from the film, but I guess I was expecting some sort of reveal about him.  

Corey

9 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

My biggest complaint (and it’s fairly minor) was the lack detail paid to Snoke.  I really wanted to know his backstory.   It wasn’t central to the plot at all, and didn’t take anything away from the film, but I guess I was expecting some sort of reveal about him.  

This didn't bother me. I was more interested in seeing who will be the main protagonist in the 3rd movie. I thought they did enough development with Kylo's character, and setting up what seems to be a final showdown between him and Rey, that I don't mind him gone. He didn't interest me much before this movie.

Really, I didn't invest much time in thinking about who he was. I am not sure Abrams thought much about it as well. With how much he copied from the original trilogy. I am not surprised that he would want an emperor type character.

Now that I think about it, I like that he is gone. I am hoping this sets up for something much more unique than Abrams making a remake #2. I really do like the direction Rian Johnson has taken the main plot. It still wide open, and lots of options are available. He did a good job taking what Abrams gave him and focused things down a good path. For how enjoyable the Force Awakens was, the plot was seriously lacking in originality and focus.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I totally hear what you’re saying, @saevel25.   Snoke was more of plot advancement character than someone we should be invested in.

I guess part of me was hoping he was going to turn out to be Ezra Bridger from Star Wars : Rebels.   

Corey

1 minute ago, Warren Zevon said:

I guess part of me was hoping he was going to turn out to be Ezra Bridger from Star Wars : Rebels.   

I got to watch that series to get caught up.

Seriously, what is up with these crazy fan theories on characters identities. :-P

Though the Mace Windu fan theory would have been interesting.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

I love how much time was spent on who Rey's parents are, and then… they're just nobodies. Probably like the parents of the kid with the mop/broom.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

40 minutes ago, iacas said:

I love how much time was spent on who Rey's parents are, and then… they're just nobodies. Probably like the parents of the kid with the mop/broom.

Up until Snoke revealed that he paired Rey and Kyle I was positive they were going to be brother and sister.  Except Rey got all the looks.  

48 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I got to watch that series to get caught up.

Seriously, what is up with these crazy fan theories on characters identities. :-P

Though the Mace Windu fan theory would have been interesting.

The first few episodes are kind of meh but it gets better.  For a kids show on Disney XD.  

Corey

17 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Up until Snoke revealed that he paired Rey and Kyle I was positive they were going to be brother and sister.  Except Rey got all the looks.  

Yea, I never thought they were brother and sister. Leia and Han did not recognize her. Luke didn't recognize her. At least Leia would have been very active in knowing what was going on with a daughter if she had one.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

It’s Star Wars.  They easily could have contrived some BS about someone taking Rey during childbirth.  Dumber things have happened.  

Corey

Just now, Warren Zevon said:

It’s Star Wars.  They easily could have contrived some BS about someone taking Rey during childbirth.  Dumber things have happened.  

Yea, I doubt it. If she was stolen, it would have been by Snoke. She wouldn't end up on some backwater world. If anything she would be used as strategic leverage.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I love that that Rey's parents are nobodies, actually worse parents ever. 

Loved the references to the samurai movies, like Rashomon, the foot sliding. 

I didn't think the comedic bits were over the top. Actually Hux the butt of the jokes was awesome. "YOU THINK YOU GOT HIM?" BB8 shooting the communicator to Finn. You could hear the coins rattling in BB8 after being mistaken for a slot machine. The First Order ironing machine!

Puppet Yoda was awesome. The tree seemed to burn in the shape of the rebel logo. To hear Yoda mention Rey, the girl was cool as well.

The greatest teacher, failure is. MMMMmmmm!

The choreography of the fight in the throne room had two very cool moves, Rey dropping from one hand to the other, then throwing a deactivated saber and then Ben activating it into baddy's face.

When I get this on disc or digitally, will be skipping to the final 45 minutes. The salt planet is the best part.

Johnson said that BB8 said near the beginning, I've got a baaaaaddd feeling about this.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

3 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Loved the references to the samurai movies, like Rashomon, the foot sliding. 

I like that Luke's foot didn't move the salt.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

7 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I like that Luke's foot didn't move the salt.

People were saying they didn't like Luke's Matrix move. That was awesome. Now that you know he was throwing an image of himself, it doesn't sound incomprehensible.

So 7 the focus was on Han, 8, Luke, 9 was meant for Leia, RIP. I wouldn't be so upset if they got someone else to play her and continued with their long term story plan if they have one.

And in retrospect, not reading the reviews, no trailers, now reading the reviews and having viewed the trailers, that's the way to go. Written reviews gave away bits here and there. Had no idea about any of the salt planet stuff or the bombing run.

Steve

Note: This thread is 2126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!