IGNORED

Callaway Signs Michelle Wie

iacas
Note: This thread is 2634 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

CALLAWAY GOLF SIGNS GLOBAL GOLF SUPERSTAR MICHELLE WIE

One of the most influential players in the game, Wie joins an outstanding list of Young, Proven Winners on Team Callaway

CARLSBAD, Calif., - January 25, 2017 – Today Callaway Golf (NYSE: ELY) announced that it has reached a Staff Pro agreement with LPGA Tour star Michelle Wie. In addition to being one of the most popular players in the sport, and of its greatest phenoms ever, Wie has been one of the most accomplished players on the LPGA since joining the Tour full-time in 2009.

A 27-year-old Hawaii native, Wie has been in the spotlight since the age of 10, when she became at the time the youngest player to qualify for a USGA amateur championship. At 13, she became the youngest player ever, male or female to win a USGA adult event at the 2003 Women’s Amateur Public Links and the youngest player to ever make an LPGA cut. At 14, she became the youngest female ever to play in a PGA Tour event at the Sony Open, and at 16 she turned professional. Despite being one of the most recognized players in the game already, Michelle chose to attend Stanford University in addition to competing professionally.

Since playing full-time on the LPGA Tour, Wie has won 4 times, highlighted by her major victory at the U.S. Women’s open, been among the top-ranked players in the world, and competed on 4 U.S. Solheim Cup teams. She’s also known for being one of the longest hitters on the Tour, and one of its biggest stars both inside the ropes and while engaging her fans through social media.

“Joining Callaway feels like a natural partnership,” Wie said. “I believe that they make the best equipment in golf, and that their clubs are really going to help me have a great year. I also admire how they make the game fun and accessible to fans, and make them feel like they are part of the experience. That’s something that’s really important to me.”

As a Full Callaway Staffer, Michelle will use Callaway clubs, balls and an Odyssey Putter. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @themichellewie.

Wie will add to Callaway’s tremendous group of talented young players, a list that includes Patrick Reed, 2016 Masters Champion Danny Willett, Wes Bryan, Ollie Schniederjans, Ryo Ishikawa, Branden Grace, Thomas Pieters, and Daniel Berger, who officially joined the company as a Tour Staffer this week.

For more information on Callaway Golf’s team of professional golfers, including young stars like Michelle Wie, please visit http://www.callawaygolf.com/team-callaway/ 

Michelle Wie  50%.jpg

Here's to hoping Michelle can:

• Find a golf swing that lets her express her talent instead of the opposite.
  • Stay healthy.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Though Wie still is probably the most naturally gifted female golfer on earth, I'm not counting on a return to form based on some inside things I heard over a year ago.  I know someone who used to be in her management circle and she said that Wie checked out after she won the US Open. She more or less hates golf. He manager from IMG constantly had to hound her to just to practice. Then Wie fired her for doing so. The only reason she continues with the golf at all is because its the vehicle that drives her lifestyle. But pride and embarrassment are great motivators. Maybe she gets it together soon. 

i cant believe shes only 27. it feels like she should be at least early 30s, like LeBron's age...shes been around forever.

Colin P.

Shes got that weight all the way out to the toe. Must fight the left side of the course a little.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

On 1/25/2017 at 7:11 AM, Groucho Valentine said:

Though Wie still is probably the most naturally gifted female golfer on earth, I'm not counting on a return to form based on some inside things I heard over a year ago.  I know someone who used to be in her management circle and she said that Wie checked out after she won the US Open. She more or less hates golf. He manager from IMG constantly had to hound her to just to practice. Then Wie fired her for doing so. The only reason she continues with the golf at all is because its the vehicle that drives her lifestyle. But pride and embarrassment are great motivators. Maybe she gets it together soon. 

That would explain a lot. Her career appears to be in a tailspin lately. 2016 was a disaster, as she missed 12 cuts out of 25 events, and her best finish all year was a T10. 2017 didn't start off too well, either, as she missed the cut this weekend in the Bahamas. 

On January 29, 2017 at 0:35 AM, Pendragon said:

That would explain a lot. Her career appears to be in a tailspin lately. 2016 was a disaster, as she missed 12 cuts out of 25 events, and her best finish all year was a T10. 2017 didn't start off too well, either, as she missed the cut this weekend in the Bahamas. 

Yeah. She could have the same effect on women's golf that tiger did in the mens game. But It appears that she was burnt out on the game before she even turned 20. 

This is also a pretty smart move for Wie considering Lydia moved over to PXG, Wie can be the main LPGA girl in all their advertising.

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

On 1/25/2017 at 9:18 AM, kpaulhus said:

Shes got that weight all the way out to the toe. Must fight the left side of the course a little.

Or its just a prop for the photo shoot.

On 1/25/2017 at 7:11 AM, Groucho Valentine said:

Though Wie still is probably the most naturally gifted female golfer on earth, 

Naturally gifted or physically gifted?  I "could" consider the latter as a rational statement, but not the former -- she has way too many deficiencies in her game to think she is anywhere close to the most naturally gifted female player on earth

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

1 hour ago, BallStriker said:

Naturally gifted or physically gifted?  I "could" consider the latter as a rational statement, but not the former -- she has way too many deficiencies in her game to think she is anywhere close to the most naturally gifted female player on earth

Determining the difference between naturally and physically would be arguing semantics.

Colin P.

Just now, colin007 said:

Determining the difference between naturally and physically would be arguing semantics.

OK, sure.......then I will say there is no way she is the most naturally gifted female player on earth.....and really not even close

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

On 1/25/2017 at 0:18 PM, kpaulhus said:

I'm guessing that was a stock model used for the promo photo shoot. I keep thinking about trying one out. Did you end up getting one?

- Shane

17 hours ago, BallStriker said:

Sorry, i meant unnaturally physically gifted. 

18 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I'm guessing that was a stock model used for the promo photo shoot. I keep thinking about trying one out. Did you end up getting one?

I did. I've played about 4 rounds with my Epic SubZero. So far, I'm longer and more accurate than with my Titleist. 

Kyle Paulhus

17 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I did. I've played about 4 rounds with my Epic SubZero. So far, I'm longer and more accurate than with my Titleist. 

lucky you. i cant wait to hit one but a bulging disc tells me i cant do that yet.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 2634 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!