IGNORED

FlightScope Mevo - Portable Launch Monitor for the Everyday Golfer

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1510 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

Just found out from the range people that they use somewhat limited flight balls now. There were complaints of people hitting over the fence to hole 8. They're not 30% limited flight, but more limited than a normal ball. They estimate between 8% and 10% with the newer balls.

So, all the readings we did were with these balls. SF is likely low because of that. 

I did some quick research and found these charts. Basically they buy Srixon because they're cheaper to implement. Not sure about the flight or AoA, but it looks like they get an average carry of 253.2 yards with a 112mph swing speed and the chart below that with the average PGA tour carry is 269 yards with a 112 mph swing and minus 1.3 AoA. 269/253.2= 1.0624 which is a bit better than what the range people told me. So, new range balls should give me only 6% reduction in initial speed which is close to the Trackman compensation numbers of 5%.

I'd say Mevo is reporting good numbers based upon this data and compared to a GC2 for carry with E7 balls.

IMG_0043.JPG.7d3725bc0a07702306a65d9fc2308048.JPGIMG_0044.JPG.ffc8103230687be3d858949f70f630fd.JPG

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I did some quick research and found these charts. Basically they buy Srixon because they're cheaper to implement. Not sure about the flight or AoA, but it looks like they get an average carry of 253.2 yards with a 112mph swing speed and the chart below that with the average PGA tour carry is 269 yards with a 112 mph swing and minus 1.3 AoA. 269/253.2= 1.0624 which is a bit better than what the range people told me. So, new range balls should give me only 6% reduction in initial speed which is close to the Trackman compensation numbers of 5%.

IMG_0043.JPG.7d3725bc0a07702306a65d9fc2308048.JPG

Interesting chart! Like I say, my swing speed is still what it is, so based on what I'm seeing, my clubspeed numbers are off - it was better on the course when I was using a half-decent quality ball (well... a Velocity and a DT Trusoft. It was windy! :8))

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

They estimate between 8% and 10% with the newer balls.

So, all the readings we did were with these balls. SF is likely low because of that. 

10% is usually a good guideline. However, given Mevo only tracks the first 6 feet, I think the numbers are more similar than you'd normally see with other launch monitors. Certainly, if I took 10% off my driver, I'd be seeing carries of 225 on the Mevo, rather than the 250+ I'm still seeing. I look at this as a real positive as there's basically no 'normalising' needed. Great for partial wedges and club gapping! For instance, yesterday's hybrid on the range:

image.png

Today's hybrid on the course (with wind) 

image.png

Slight difference in smash, but main difference was spin - again, range balls will spin less than a premium ball.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

1 hour ago, b101 said:

Interesting chart! Like I say, my swing speed is still what it is, so based on what I'm seeing, my clubspeed numbers are off - it was better on the course when I was using a half-decent quality ball (well... a Velocity and a DT Trusoft. It was windy! :8))

10% is usually a good guideline. However, given Mevo only tracks the first 6 feet, I think the numbers are more similar than you'd normally see with other launch monitors. Certainly, if I took 10% off my driver, I'd be seeing carries of 225 on the Mevo, rather than the 250+ I'm still seeing. I look at this as a real positive as there's basically no 'normalising' needed. Great for partial wedges and club gapping! For instance, yesterday's hybrid on the range:

image.png

Today's hybrid on the course (with wind) 

image.png

Slight difference in smash, but main difference was spin - again, range balls will spin less than a premium ball.

New range balls are only a couple to a few percent shorter than regular balls, new 1 piece Srixon is typically 6% lower. This is because the COR is lower, thus initial velocity will be lower.

I've never tried using the Mevo at less than 7' so I don't know how it would behave any closer? That distance is actually more convenient for me anyway. I just know that if I compensate 6% the SF numbers make more sense.

I did notice that without the stickers, I got some ridiculous SS numbers.

Not confident about using without stickers or less than 7', but I prefer to make sure everything is as optimal as possible. I like making sure things are properly used. I'm a bit OCD that way as an engineer. YMMV.

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I know I keep bombarding this thread, but I just can't believe how useful the Mevo is. Today, working on launch angle with the driver, it practically earnt its keep in one session. For info, I have never been able to hit with a launch of more than 10 degrees consistently, in spite of owning a 10.5 degree driver, lofted up 2 degrees and lots of work on it. With the Mevo, it's taken two sessions and just check the launch angles below. I challenged myself to beat 15 degrees, then beat 17 degrees. The feels I have to use are ridiculous and I basically need to believe I'm falling backwards as I hit it, but the proof is there. The best bit about this is, when it gets too extreme (11/12), I get that feedback and can scale back. 

image.png

Shot 14 was the last and me not doing anything in particular, but playing the shot like I would on the course. Would have been middle of my imaginary fairway with a slight draw (something else that has come about from hitting more up on the ball, rather than the slight fade I tend to have). Trajectory view of #8 below:

mevo1.png

N.B. Still having the clubspeed and smash factor issues. This was outside, but admittedly the ground and lie angle for the Mevo wasn't perfect. I actually hit the centre of my driver (or slightly off) more often than not, so there's no way these smash factors are realistic.

Also worked on my partial wedges, which are definitely improving and I'm starting to be able to tell whether it's gone too far or too short. I did the 10 random yardage game again and got a new personal best in terms of average difference between actual carry and target (2.86 yards this time, last time 6.74 yards plus one shank). Don't think I'll be beating this one in a hurry!

image.png

This makes the range so much more fun and productive! 

• Informative 2

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

56 minutes ago, b101 said:

I know I keep bombarding this thread, but I just can't believe how useful the Mevo is. Today, working on launch angle with the driver, it practically earnt its keep in one session. For info, I have never been able to hit with a launch of more than 10 degrees consistently, in spite of owning a 10.5 degree driver, lofted up 2 degrees and lots of work on it. With the Mevo, it's taken two sessions and just check the launch angles below. I challenged myself to beat 15 degrees, then beat 17 degrees. The feels I have to use are ridiculous and I basically need to believe I'm falling backwards as I hit it, but the proof is there. The best bit about this is, when it gets too extreme (11/12), I get that feedback and can scale back. 

image.png

Shot 14 was the last and me not doing anything in particular, but playing the shot like I would on the course. Would have been middle of my imaginary fairway with a slight draw (something else that has come about from hitting more up on the ball, rather than the slight fade I tend to have). Trajectory view of #8 below:

mevo1.png

N.B. Still having the clubspeed and smash factor issues. This was outside, but admittedly the ground and lie angle for the Mevo wasn't perfect. I actually hit the centre of my driver (or slightly off) more often than not, so there's no way these smash factors are realistic.

Also worked on my partial wedges, which are definitely improving and I'm starting to be able to tell whether it's gone too far or too short. I did the 10 random yardage game again and got a new personal best in terms of average difference between actual carry and target (2.86 yards this time, last time 6.74 yards plus one shank). Don't think I'll be beating this one in a hurry!

image.png

Awesome. How did you keep track of your wedge target distances, just wrote them down?

I'm still not sure what to do with Time (s) data point. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

Nothing, really. It's just a data point they could give you, so they did.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Awesome. How did you keep track of your wedge target distances, just wrote them down?

Exactly. Wrote down ten random-ish numbers beforehand then went through and tried to hit them. I definitely need to start combining the directional element as well, as I can tend to pull my wedges, but haven't yet thought about that as much. Highly recommend it; it's great for building a pressurised environment as well - I was getting pretty nervy before balls 9 and 10!

Also have no idea what to do with time so you aren't alone there.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, b101 said:

I know I keep bombarding this thread, but I just can't believe how useful the Mevo is. Today, working on launch angle with the driver, it practically earnt its keep in one session.

This is really impressive, I think you should be earning some kind of commission from Mevo.  :-D

I am inspired by this and will probably look to purchase one once the bills from Christmas clear.  I would also be open to buying anyone's 2nd hand one if they don't feel it was a good purchase.

Thanks for posting, great results!

6 minutes ago, bmartin461 said:

This is really impressive, I think you should be earning some kind of commission from Mevo.  :-D

I am inspired by this and will probably look to purchase one once the bills from Christmas clear.  I would also be open to buying anyone's 2nd hand one if they don't feel it was a good purchase.

Thanks for posting, great results!

Very kind of you! It was a no-brainer for me, as I've been on the lookout for a good, cheap-ish launch monitor for ages. I was always going to care far less about dispersion side to side or face to path - I can see or work those out for myself - this tracks the things I can't work out :-).

Keep us posted!

2 hours ago, bmartin461 said:

I would also be open to buying anyone's 2nd hand one if they don't feel it was a good purchase.

Not likely. At least for a year or so, when Mevo2 comes out ;-)

2 hours ago, SunkTheBirdie said:

Anyone have any video captures from the MEVO ?

Swing analysis with the MEVO data might be fun !

Yes, but the Bluetooth stopped working when I set the phone back. I think there was a lot of Bluetooth activity that day.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

2 hours ago, SunkTheBirdie said:

Anyone have any video captures from the MEVO ?

Swing analysis with the MEVO data might be fun !

I thought the numbers would save with the video, but they don't, it just presents like any other video. There is a clip of me somewhere in this thread with video shot by the Mevo app. It's very anticlimactic. 

I think one useful feature to add to the app would be an option to save text or even audio with each shot when in data capture mode.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Although the dots are not absolutely necessary in outdoor conditions, I find them to be a bit more accurate. I ran out of them and am currently using 1/4" copper tape (aluminum tape will likely work as well), and found a source for 1/4" dots for about $34/2000 dots.

http://amzn.to/2qvnTG6

Amazon offers other sizes as well:

http://amzn.to/2CW5sNn

Of course Flightscope doesn't overcharge that much anyway. . . https://flightscope.com/product/metalic-stickers/

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Tried to use the Mevo without the stickers, and the balls were still soaking wet. I usually let the balls dry out in the sun then wipe them before applying the stickers.

Not really fond of the results. . .but my driver gained some smash factor and carry. I was still hitting the crown, and the Mevo seemed to report the correct height which is about 10 yards too high for a decent swing. :whistle:

Note that my driver and 3W are about the same length at about 43" (3W a little bit shorter), so the club head speed is going to be similar. My son's 5W is a little bit heavier than I'm used to so I hit that one kind of wimpy.

I don't know what happened on the 66mph PW reading?

image.thumb.png.dd2167b8f06fd5fd77d7e3078c4949dd.png

image.thumb.png.e36def37a8fa9322fc876e67e9bc8d62.png

image.thumb.png.bf9633ec65c87f4bcae2026704008f11.png

image.thumb.png.57428e0a9bbbf827c05d43e5e8b67391.png

image.thumb.png.7be1aeebb9361f7e8e47b16428c65534.png

image.thumb.png.e669702e1e8ec5a4ba6ac62949c7c853.png

image.thumb.png.4106ce18ee46a43424fb309ffa6be573.png

image.thumb.png.ef348aa558f4812bc89b7e9dda751b79.png

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Forgot to mention these are the Srixon 1pc semi-limited flight balls. Older looking and wet.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

11 hours ago, mcconnon12 said:

Do you feel you are getting accurate data from mevo? Thanks for sharing.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/training/flightscope_mevo_personal_launch_monitor_review

Erik wrote a very detailed review. Check it out.

There are also Member reviews that discuss accuracy.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

12 hours ago, mcconnon12 said:

Do you feel you are getting accurate data from mevo? Thanks for sharing.

From my testing, Mevo is very accurate, but you really need the stickers or the readings could be pretty bad. For instance, I got a flyer on my 8i and a couple stunted readings with my PW.

It’s far more accurate than my swing speed radar unit at measuring club head speed.

You have to use it like any other instrument. It needs to be setup properly, then repeat that setup to insure consistent results.

One annoying thing is at one place I hit, the stalls are packed too tightly and I picked up another players strikes. Also, in a heavily Bluetooth populated area the signal drops at less than 10 feet so I can’t really use sent the camera function. I usually put my phone on a basket next to the ball tray about 5’ to 6’ from the unit. Another thing is it sometimes just decides to upgrade the unit firmware in the middle of a range session.

Also, where the metal dot goes seems to affect the readings on some units, but mine is pretty consistent with the dot on target side or on top. But you need the dot to get good readings.

All in all, I think it’s a great product especially for the money.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 1510 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!