IGNORED

1985 Pebble Beach Proam telecast has way fewer commercials - see for yourself

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I found this on YouTube, a 2 hour "clip" and fast forwarded to see how long the commercials were. It's about 2, 2.5 minutes per break and there are what I counted 5 per hour. So about 10 minutes per hour. That's half. HALF. Of the length of commercials today. Rant over, thanks for listening.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Telly Savalas was cool, was he not?

Him and Karl Malden!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

News flash.  It ain't just in golf....  :-(

With a DVR in every household, sporting events are one of the few things that most people still watch live.  That means that a higher percentage of commercials are actually seen, rather than fast forwarded through.  Networks can charge a premium, and cram as many in as they can...

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

13 minutes ago, David in FL said:

News flash.  It ain't just in golf....  :-(

With a DVR in every household, sporting events are one of the few things that most people still watch live.  That means that a higher percentage of commercials are actually seen, rather than fast forwarded through.  Networks can charge a premium, and cram as many in as they can...

Yeah, I noticed a lot of people complaining about the NFL recently.

Steve

52 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

What I noticed today was, instead of showing us commercials, they showed us overhead shots of the course with the theme music playing underneath. Why bother? Just show us more golf!

And they show way too much amateur golf in relation to the pros - they're basically catering to non golf fans here.

That said, it seems like they toned it down a bit this year.  For example, in recent years they would analyze every amateurs swing and interview them on 17 and they didn't do that today.

P.S. No matter how many times they try to promote him, I've never once in my life heard of Gary mule deer outside of this tournament.  Not once.

11 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

P.S. No matter how many times they try to promote him, I've never once in my life heard of Gary mule deer outside of this tournament.  Not once.

Off FFS...I had totally forgotten about him until just now, thanks a lot @Golfingdad.... :pound:

Colin P.

5 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Off FFS...I had totally forgotten about him until just now, thanks a lot @Golfingdad.... :pound:

Lol ... I assumed if you watched today that you'd have seen him.  But I'm telling you they definitely seemed to have slightly toned then the celebrity coverage which was nice.

11 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Lol ... I assumed if you watched today that you'd have seen him.  But I'm telling you they definitely seemed to have slightly toned then the celebrity coverage which was nice.

I was watching mostly the end of the coverage, which seemed to be mostly Bill Murray, before focusing on the leaders. I'm so glad they aren't doing the whole breakdown of the celebs' swings, as if anyone wants to see that. 

Colin P.

10 hours ago, colin007 said:

I was watching mostly the end of the coverage, which seemed to be mostly Bill Murray, before focusing on the leaders. I'm so glad they aren't doing the whole breakdown of the celebs' swings, as if anyone wants to see that. 

Yeah, like I want to see Ray Romano's swing! However, showing some of those swing faults can be instructional. And some of those amateurs hit a nice ball. How about Timberlake nearly jarring it at 7? I guess you have to pick and choose.

13 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Yeah, like I want to see Ray Romano's swing! However, showing some of those swing faults can be instructional. And some of those amateurs hit a nice ball. How about Timberlake nearly jarring it at 7? I guess you have to pick and choose.

Yeah, I had the misfortune of seeing Romano also...hideous. 

I don't mind seeing Timberlake, because he's a likeable guy with a nice swing, but those others like Gary Mule Deer and Romano are just not likeable. 

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 2628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!