IGNORED

Why didn't Spieth drop closer to the hole after plunking in water (last year's Masters)?

Themightyoz
Note: This thread is 2607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When Jordan plunked twice in a row would he have been able to take a drop closers to the hole rather than hitting it again.   Seems like that would have been a better play.

Moderator note: You should try to add more detail. Links, etc.

http://www.masters.com/en_US/watch/2016/r4_34046_12.html (I assume you meant here on 12th hole, round 4)

WITB

Cobra  Wishon 911 D FMAX 10.5 ,EQ-NX 4W, 7W, 4H/6H, 7-LW

Biomech Acculock Ace Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• RandallT changed the title to Why didn't Spieth drop closer to the hole after plunking in water (last year's Masters)?
23 minutes ago, Themightyoz said:

When Jordan plunked twice in a row would he have been able to take a drop closers to the hole rather than hitting it again.   Seems like that would have been a better play.

Moderator note: You should try to add more detail. Links, etc.

http://www.masters.com/en_US/watch/2016/r4_34046_12.html (I assume you meant here on 12th hole, round 4)

For sure .  Thanks

WITB

Cobra  Wishon 911 D FMAX 10.5 ,EQ-NX 4W, 7W, 4H/6H, 7-LW

Biomech Acculock Ace Putter

• Administrator

Because he chose not to. Because from down there the grain can play a role, and you're hitting to a green above you from a downslope, with a partial yardage so you won't be able to generate as much spin.

Generally speaking you're better off playing from closer to the hole (I'd be tempted to look at the shortest pitch shot available), but sometimes there are exceptions.

And it's also possible he would have been better off dropping closer.

Also, you quoted yourself… :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The 12th hole at Augusta slopes down to the creek, so the closer he got, the more of a downhill lie he would have.  He couldn't drop on the other side of the creek, so his options were to hit it from the tee or take the drop.  The fairways are so tight, and even though he dropped further back to have a shot that wasn't quite as downhill and so he could spin it, it was still a dicey shot.

58b26c30b01ea_hole12.PNG.9ddc3276bc996df395ed3c717d5a01b7.PNG

Under those circumstances, I would probably hit from the tee again.

• Upvote 1

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

13 minutes ago, 1badbadger said:

The 12th hole at Augusta slopes down to the creek, so the closer he got, the more of a downhill lie he would have.  He couldn't drop on the other side of the creek, so his options were to hit it from the tee or take the drop.  The fairways are so tight, and even though he dropped further back to have a shot that wasn't quite as downhill and so he could spin it, it was still a dicey shot.

58b26c30b01ea_hole12.PNG.9ddc3276bc996df395ed3c717d5a01b7.PNG

Under those circumstances, I would probably hit from the tee again.

I'm not positive, but I think there may have been some consideration about the softness of the ground closer to the creek / further down the bank where the water table would get closer to the surface.

Basically, the downhill lie is what got him. He knew he needed height to stop it in the shallow green and he likely fought going with the slope with his swing. A damage control shot might have been to go with his most lofted club and just go for extra height while going with the slope to try to stop it somewhere on the green, at or past the pin, two-putt and move on the the next hole. Golf is hard.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

Yeah, these are all good comments, but the fact is he about laid the sod over that second shot! The fact is when you hit it chunky and there's water in front of your target, you're probably going in there!

Note: This thread is 2607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!