IGNORED

My Swing (woodzie264)

woodzie264

• Administrator
1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

ps. With my working on the pendulums, and the Blast metrics, do you still wants to see putting stroke for critiquing or go back to full swing posts while continuing the putting work "off camera?" I'm happy to do whatever you feel would be the greatest benefitΒ 

It's your swing topic, man. I can't always guarantee I'll be here to help. I think you probably know enough about the putting stuff to do that for yourself for awhile, but… its still your swing topic.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

While I continue to work on my putting, I wanted to get back to my actual swing. I left off working on club back & up and straighter Right elbow. Β 
Β 

Looking back, I see improvements with the Right elbow. I see some glaring issues (still coming over the top, I don’t initial the downswing with my hips and they clear slowly...almost blocking to the right).Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue STΒ Β / Β Woods:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 5W /Β Hybrid:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 25* /Β Irons: :ping:Β i500’s /Β Β Wedges:Β :edel:Β 54*, 58*;Β Putter:Β :scotty_cameron:Β Futura 5 Β Ball:Β image.pngΒ Vero X1

Β 

Β -Jonny

1/04/20 - did some Blast putting work yesterday. So, I learned something:Β 

when I’m using the Blast app alone, my rhythm is typically 1.6 - 1.8, BUT yesterday was my first day using the Blast & metronome together and it much quicker, closer to 1.5-1.6 with the low end of 1.4. Β  I suppose the higher values are what is comfortable for me (when done without metronome). Because I feel like the rhythm is quite individualized, I don’t suppose there’s any benefit in trying to quicken it to match my initial metronome setting which seems to require a quicker pace. Β As long as I become consistent with the stroke, that’s really all that matters, right?

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue STΒ Β / Β Woods:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 5W /Β Hybrid:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 25* /Β Irons: :ping:Β i500’s /Β Β Wedges:Β :edel:Β 54*, 58*;Β Putter:Β :scotty_cameron:Β Futura 5 Β Ball:Β image.pngΒ Vero X1

Β 

Β -Jonny

16 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

1/04/20 - did some Blast putting work yesterday. So, I learned something:Β 

when I’m using the Blast app alone, my rhythm is typically 1.6 - 1.8, BUT yesterday was my first day using the Blast & metronome together and it much quicker, closer to 1.5-1.6 with the low end of 1.4. Β  I suppose the higher values are what is comfortable for me (when done without metronome). Because I feel like the rhythm is quite individualized, I don’t suppose there’s any benefit in trying to quicken it to match my initial metronome setting which seems to require a quicker pace. Β As long as I become consistent with the stroke, that’s really all that matters, right?

The rhythm has factors to account for such as length of putter and overall length to shoulders, your stroke method, etc.Β My putter is 35.5 and I’m 5’ 10”. So my pendulum length is pretty long. My rhythm is around 1.9:1 per the app. My tempo is pretty slow when I match it to a metronome.

A metronome is in beats per minute. ItΒ sets up tempo, orΒ how fast a musical piece is played. Rhythm is beats per measure, like 2/4, 3/4 (waltz), 4/4. So the Blast device is just finding your ratio of back to down swing and not really how many swings per minute you would take.Β 

I think you should try slowing the metronomeΒ to match the tempo and rhythm that the blast device found you have andΒ see if it works out better. Set it to 2/4 time and slow it down. Gather some data. Then speed it up and gather data. You are trying to find your natural and repeatable rhythm.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

26 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

You are trying to find your natural and repeatable rhythm.

Thanks - that was my thoughts exactly. While I was using 80bpm doing the metronome drill back during the COVID challenge because Β I thought that felt comfortable, I know find it a little quick. But yes, through this process I realize my main goal is not to fit my strokeΒ into a certain time parameters, but rather establish a consistent repeatable stroke for more predictable results.Β 

Β 

Β -Jonny

Second round of practice this morning (n = 26)

62E170BD-4754-4DB7-96BC-42C30D29F167.png

Β 

Β -Jonny

• Administrator
1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

A metronome is in beats per minute. ItΒ sets up tempo, orΒ how fast a musical piece is played. Rhythm is beats per measure, like 2/4, 3/4 (waltz), 4/4. So the Blast device is just finding your ratio of back to down swing and not really how many swings per minute you would take.

Right, the ratio (rhythm, which Blast calls the tempo) is independent of the beat, in the sense that it’s a ratio only. The following tempos would have the same rhythm or ratio:

1 second backswing, 0.5 second downswing.
0.5 second backswing, 0.25 second downswing.
0.8 second backswing, 0.4 second downswing.

1.4 to 1.5 is likely too low. I don’t subscribe to the 1.8 to 2.2 that Blast likes, but 1.6 to 2.0 is a decent range, I think.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Right, the ratio (rhythm, which Blast calls the tempo) is independent of the beat, in the sense that it’s a ratio only. The following tempos would have the same rhythm or ratio:

1 second backswing, 0.5 second downswing.
0.5 second backswing, 0.25 second downswing.
0.8 second backswing, 0.4 second downswing.

1.4 to 1.5 is likely too low. I don’t subscribe to the 1.8 to 2.2 that Blast likes, but 1.6 to 2.0 is a decent range, I think.

My happy place is 1.6-1.8 averaging 1.7. I really appreciate this recommendation...it’s been great. I look forward to going out the course at some point and using it β€œwhen it matters” and seeing how much of this is real change.

Β 

Β -Jonny

1/04/20 - club back & up w/straighter right elbow

Β 

Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

Β 

Β -Jonny

6 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Noooo...!Β  Not 2020 again, please.

Hahaha - force of habit

Β 

Β -Jonny

@woodzie264Β let your right elbow come up off your chest earlier in the swing. If you keep it by pinned against your torso it has no choice but to fold as the left arm rises.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1/10/21 - st8er right elbow, getting right elbow away from side earlier. Secondary thought of initiating downswing hip left hip (terrible)

Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

Β 

Β -Jonny

• Administrator
Just now, woodzie264 said:

st8er

What’s β€œstater” about it? πŸ™‚

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

What’s β€œstater” about it? πŸ™‚

Left the R out; Β Str8er = straighter in my young hip texting vernacular.
Β 

Clearly I’m not so hip

Β 

Β -Jonny

• Administrator
1 minute ago, woodzie264 said:

Left the R out; Β Str8er = straighter in my young hip texting vernacularΒ 

I know… πŸ˜›Β πŸ˜„

10 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Clearly I’m not so hip

I’m so not hip I didn’t even get it!😜

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1/16/21 - str8er Right Elbow

Not perfect angle in DTL, but I still think it’s improvingΒ 

Β 

Β -Jonny