IGNORED

Finger pain, grip issues?

Note: This thread is 2592 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am having pain in my right ring finger. I am a righty and use the vardon grip. I am a medium cadet size.

I notice that at impact my left hand will pivot up (with my index finger as the pivot point) and push into my right ring finger causing pressure / pain. My left pinky seems like it can't hold onto the grip so my hand is getting off the grip.

Does this make sense to anyone? Just wondering if it's my grip pressure or style that is the issue or maybe just my fingers too short?

WITB: Titleist 975D, Mizuno T-Zoid Pro 5i,7i,9i, Mizuno Black Ox Raw 56* SW, Ping Anser 3 lives in a TourTrek Sunday Carry Bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Have you considered an interlocking grip?....I'm an XL-cadet and play with an interlocking grip due to my shorter fingers (cadet). Jack Nicklaus used it for the same reason. 

Little fingers are usually wimps, so kneading a wet dishrag or some silly putty will help strengthen it over time (quote from John Redman's Essentials of the Golf Swing)

9 hours ago, hack2scratch said:

I am having pain in my right ring finger. I am a righty and use the vardon grip. I am a medium cadet size.

I notice that at impact my left hand will pivot up (with my index finger as the pivot point) and push into my right ring finger causing pressure / pain. My left pinky seems like it can't hold onto the grip so my hand is getting off the grip.

Does this make sense to anyone? Just wondering if it's my grip pressure or style that is the issue or maybe just my fingers too short?

How firm do you hold the club? Maintaining constant grip pressure may help. If we hold too loose at setup, it can cause us to tightening at impact and move the grip in our hands. You want to grip the club firm enough so you can maintain pressure and have your wrists loose.

Changing grip type may help too as @Spooky mentioned. I went from interlocking to Vardon because my right pinky was digging into my left hand. I also have very long fingers. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I had the same problem for a while and discovered that I needed to grip it more in my fingers with my right hand. Make sure the right index finger bottom joint goes more into the top "meaty part" of the left index finger instead hitting the either knuckle. And make sure it stays put throughout the swing. That helped me. And as a side effect it really improved my ball striking, especially with my irons.

12 hours ago, hack2scratch said:

Check this out, might just be where the grip is placed in your hand/fingers. You should be gripping it on the firm side, not to the point you're white knuckling it but secure enough someone couldn't take the club out of your hands. Basically the grip I describe below takes care of that IMO.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

8 hours ago, boogielicious said:

How firm do you hold the club? Maintaining constant grip pressure may help. If we hold too loose at setup, it can cause us to tightening at impact and move the grip in our hands. You want to grip the club firm enough so you can maintain pressure and have your wrists loose.

Changing grip type may help too as @Spooky mentioned. I went from interlocking to Vardon because my right pinky was digging into my left hand. I also have very long fingers. 

I have been working on loosening my grip, since i tend to have a death hold and my forearms hurt afterwards. Maybe I am loosen it too much?

WITB: Titleist 975D, Mizuno T-Zoid Pro 5i,7i,9i, Mizuno Black Ox Raw 56* SW, Ping Anser 3 lives in a TourTrek Sunday Carry Bag

On 3/17/2017 at 11:22 AM, mvmac said:

Check this out, might just be where the grip is placed in your hand/fingers. You should be gripping it on the firm side, not to the point you're white knuckling it but secure enough someone couldn't take the club out of your hands. Basically the grip I describe below takes care of that IMO.

Thanks, i'm gonna review the link again. I reach it some time ago but good for a refresher. I think i have trouble with my grip, i never quite know if its neutral to strong. When do you look at the knuckles? When i look straight down at address i see 3 or 4, if i look at shaft lean, i see 2 1/2

I had finger trouble in the past and switched from an interlocking grip to a Vardon grip.   It made a big difference.   If that doesn't help, experiment with a 10 finger grip.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

How firmly you hold the club and how strong your grip should be depend entirely on what type of release you have and body/swing type. If you have a very full and handsy release, then generally speaking, a neutral grip and softer grip pressure are right for you. If you have an armsy release, with passive hands, then a neutral-strong-ish grip with medium grip pressure may be best. And if you have a body driven release with little turnover in the hands (muted release) then a stronger grip and firmer grip pressure may be best.

From your description of your hand size and physical attributes, I would venture a guess you're likely a leverage player. But that's just an educated guess....You'd need to take the Law's tests to determine your body type. That said, try placing the club more diagonally in your left hand, across the base of your fingers. Then close your hand over the club and hold it out at a 45* angle in front of you. Next, bring your right hand in from the side and merge the lifeline of your right hand with the thumb of your left hand. Then wrap the fingers of your right hand around the grip and merge your hands. Again, I'd recommend you give the interlocking grip a try. Good luck!

6 hours ago, hack2scratch said:

Thanks, i'm gonna review the link again. I reach it some time ago but good for a refresher. I think i have trouble with my grip, i never quite know if its neutral to strong. When do you look at the knuckles? When i look straight down at address i see 3 or 4, if i look at shaft lean, i see 2 1/2

2 1/2 is good with some lean. What's more important is the placement of the grip in the hands, not in the palm of the left hand, more in the fingers.

Mike McLoughlin

@mvmac, the grip link fixed my grip completely. Thanks. My right hand was too much on top and not on the side. My right thumb pad never sat on top of my left thumb.

Club actually felt very secure with minimal grip pressure.

This also fixed my high ballooning iron shots. My 9 and 7 were both going 100 yards, once i fixed my grip, 7 iron went back to the normal 145-155 area, with a lower piercing flight.

27 minutes ago, hack2scratch said:

@mvmac, the grip link fixed my grip completely. Thanks. My right hand was too much on top and not on the side. My right thumb pad never sat on top of my left thumb.

Great to hear!

Mike McLoughlin

I had issues with the right side of my hand hurting for a while. I switched to an interlocking grip and haven't returned back to the overlap. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2592 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!