IGNORED

M2 Iron noise

Note: This thread is 2529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hiya,

I have made the decision to move from my SGI to the GI irons. I have been hitting many of that type of club.

Srixon Z-565
Ping i200
Ping G
Taylormade M2
Callaway Steelhead XR
Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metal

Could not hit the Titleist AP1 as the local shop didn't have any with the reg flex shafts.

I found the straightest was the Ping G. The longest, and loudest, was the Taylormade M2. The 2nd longest and softest feel was the Ping i200. The Steelhead was good, not loud, and mostly straight.

Has anyone hit those M2's? What do you think of the noise.

I know that the longer distance is mostly due to the length of the shafts. But the noise?

Taylormade M4 10.5* (turned down to 8.5*)
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods
Ping G graphite irons 5 - PW  Black Dot
Ping Gorged Glide Wedges - 50, 54, 58
Directed Force Reno 2.0 Putter
What an amazing game this is.

Yes I know that the i200 (Ping) is listed as a "players" iron.

Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods

I went along with a friend when he was loking for new irons.
He tried a bunch and eventually decided on the M2's. 

This was indoors on a sim and neither of us really noticed anything different about the sound.
But the first time on the range: what a noise. They make a distinctive sound and are really loud.

I don't really like it and if I was the one buying them, that would probably be a deal breaker, but I can be (too) picky sometimes.
My friend doesn't mind though: he likes hitting them. Says everbody will know now when  he tees off :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I haven't hit the M2 irons but I can relate a bit to the issue of noise.  I have a ping G30 driver which makes a very 'distinctive' noise when I hit it.  I often get looks from other players on the range which took a bit of getting used to.  (The range I practice at has some strange acoustics and in certain bays you can get a sound that resonates across the whole facility!)

Out on the course it is much less of a problem though.  Any issue is mostly inside one's own head so after you get used to it you just focus on how the club performs.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

7 hours ago, MrFreeze said:

Yes I know that the i200 (Ping) is listed as a "players" iron.

Although I play a lot of Callaway, I regularly test out the Ping offerings. The i200 looks great at address, and I can get the ball up O. In comparison, I get an extra 15 yards with the Ping G, shafted with the stock AWT 2.0 - R.flex.

Also got good results with the Ping i (came and went quickly), about as good as the Ping G.

If you're trying Ping, test out their different shafts. It's half the club!

As far as sound of irons, do some searching here on TST. We've had a couple of readers who work in audiology give safety warnings on drivers. They caution that certain drivers models emit impact boom noises that cross the threshold to harmful decibel level.

And you thought golf was safer than rock concerts! :-O

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

@georgep

George wrote a review of these irons. He wrote about a more muted sound.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/taylormade_m2_irons_review

@MrFreeze, did you find them to be louder than others or just different?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Good God...the Ping I200 are fantastic.  No comparison for me anyway to the M2 irons.  Plus the I200 are made from ahch softer steel so they will feel and sound much better anyway.

The M2 tour iron, I think was a nice club...still, the ping feels and sounds to me close to a forged iron.

16 hours ago, boogielicious said:

@georgep

George wrote a review of these irons. He wrote about a more muted sound.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/taylormade_m2_irons_review

@MrFreeze, did you find them to be louder than others or just different?

Both. Louder and different. Hit em again today. Loud Crack.

Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods

I went in to hit more irons today. well, actually more of the same - probably driving Haggin Oaks nuts...

I was feeling the head of the M2 7iron. The speed slot (vertical lines on the ends) were raised today. I asked one of the pros, and apparently the face collapses on many of the irons. She took it and boxed it up to send it back.

Again hit the G and the i200, along with the Mizuno, Cobra King F7, Srixon Z565.

Really like the feel and sound of the i200. The Srixon was next in line.

How to know about the different shafts that are available? Fitting?

Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods

Ping G irons would more like the M2 irons where the M2 tour would be closer to the I200 irons.  Not sure where u are in the progression from sgi to gi.

The Ping G irons I used as rentals on vacation and loved them.  Good feel, sound and easy to hit.  The look great too.

@MrFreeze Were you hitting them indoors by any chance?  I find the sound of impact changes drastically from inside to out, or even in outdoor hitting bays that reflect the sound. I've hit a few clubs inside that I didn't like the sound of outside, but usually it's the other way around.

Also, I can't speak to the 2017 M2, but the 2016 model did not strike me as louder than normal. They were, however, insanely long, but also a little too hot (inconsistent distances) from time to time. 

Speaking of the i200s, I'll have a review of them coming up in a few weeks. They are great looking, and I've been getting good results with the launch monitor. I just need to get some green grass rounds in with them.

• Upvote 1

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

On 3/20/2017 at 4:55 PM, georgep said:

@MrFreeze Were you hitting them indoors by any chance?  I find the sound of impact changes drastically from inside to out, or even in outdoor hitting bays that reflect the sound. I've hit a few clubs inside that I didn't like the sound of outside, but usually it's the other way around.

Speaking of the i200s, I'll have a review of them coming up in a few weeks. They are great looking, and I've been getting good results with the launch monitor. I just need to get some green grass rounds in with them.

I was outside in a string of bays. But I wanna hit one that the face hasn't caved in on. (http://www.hagginoaks.com/driving-range/)

Love the feel of the i200's. Love the sound. They are shorter than the M2's.

All of the ones that I have tried are longer than my K-15's.

Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods

I found out that the K15's that I am hitting are the 17-4 steel. The G's feel the same, less clunky looking.

Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods

not same thing, but recently I tipped a driver I had and in boring out the hosel after cutting the shaft, I drilled a little too deep and a piece of material dropped into the clubhead. Now I have a 43.5 inch "rattle".

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• 5 weeks later...

So to add intrigue to this discussion....

The M2 has, on multiple occasions, had the face cave and/or crack. My local golf super store, Haggin Oaks, has had to replace at least one set of 2017 M2 irons and several individuals from their demo stock (8, 7, 6, and 5 iron).

Like the RSI's?

Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods

I hit a guys M2 8 iron on the range a few weeks ago, they were graphite. I thought the club felt great but I didn't notice any odd noise, granted I hit it like 4 times

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9.0 Aldila Rogue Silver X-Stiff I Taylormade M2 3 wood Fujikara 661 Speeder X-Stiff I Callaway Apex 3 Iron UST Mamiya Recoil 780 ES F5 X-Stiff I Mizuno MP-59 4-PW Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff I Mizuno Wedges (Blue) 52_56_60 Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex I Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 USA Edition I Taylormade Tour Preferred 

Note: This thread is 2529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!