IGNORED

Which hole at Augusta is this?

VWTampa
Note: This thread is 2541 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently came into possession of this vintage postcard from Augusta but I'm not sure which hole it is? 11, 12, 13 maybe? Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Vince

IMG_20170412_192912674.jpg

• Upvote 1

I can't believe there are no responses!  Love the pic!!!!

I can't answer the question with certainty, but this has to be #12 green.   11 fairway would be up the hill to the right..........the left is 13 fairway.  The woman in the white dress in the far background is probably standing near the 12 tee box.  I can't see how this can be anything else.  The green and water hazard shape has changed, but you can still see the front greenside bunker. 

Edited by BuckeyeNut

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Thanks! I think you've got to be correct. I originally thought 11 or 12 then was thinking 13 and maybe that's how Ray's Creek looked originally but I think you nailed it with the greenside bunker!

4 minutes ago, VWTampa said:

Thanks! I think you've got to be correct. I originally thought 11 or 12 then was thinking 13 and maybe that's how Ray's Creek looked originally but I think you nailed it with the greenside bunker!

yes....and if this was 13 green

13 minutes ago, VWTampa said:

Yes...and 11 was never fronted by water.  It always had that little pond short left........

What's in Paul's Bag:

55 minutes ago, BuckeyeNut said:

I can't believe there are no responses!  Love the pic!!!!

I can't answer the question with certainty, but this has to be #12 green.   11 fairway would be up the hill to the right..........the left is 13 fairway.  The woman in the white dress in the far background is probably standing near the 12 tee box.  I can't see how this can be anything else.  The green and water hazard shape has changed, but you can still see the front greenside bunker. 

I agree, that looks like the green at 12. Great pic btw.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Augusta has radically changed its layout over the years more than any other famous course. The green may be in same general area the 12th green sits today but most likely a fundamentally different hole

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

The course has been lengthened dramatically, but I don't think it has been changed that much.   yea....10 middle-fairway bunker that isn't in play.....the green used to sit next it it.  That is major.... Overall....the course plays pretty true to what it was in the old days with old hickory. 

What's in Paul's Bag:

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, BuckeyeNut said:

The course has been lengthened dramatically, but I don't think it has been changed that much.   yea....10 middle-fairway bunker that isn't in play.....the green used to sit next it it.  That is major.... Overall....the course plays pretty true to what it was in the old days with old hickory. 

Steel shafts became dominant in about 1930.

Though… I agree. ANGC hasn't really been changed. Tweaks, ongoing, yes. The nines were reversed. It's got the same routing, the same pars, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Another vote for #12 or #3 as it would have been back then.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Ditto with #12.

I wonder how long it has been since they have let patrons down near Rae's Creek.

Great find.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

These are very cool...thanks for posting them.  I love to see how things have changed (or haven't) on the game's greatest courses.

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

16 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Augusta has radically changed its layout over the years more than any other famous course. The green may be in same general area the 12th green sits today but most likely a fundamentally different hole

The nines were flipped as well......likely this hole was #3 when the picture was taken.

Note: This thread is 2541 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!