IGNORED

Provisional/hole finished/ball found

loki16
Note: This thread is 2535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all

playing  friendly but competitive stableford game. 

Opponent hits second shot and when we get to green it's missing. Both have a good look but it's not there. 

Opponent returns and hits provisional. I keep looking but zip. 

Ww finish the hole. 

Not sure if we got to 5 minutes. Not that relevant to this issue. 

Go to next tee and find ball. Opponent wants to play it. I say no.

Harsh? 

2 minutes ago, loki16 said:

Hi all

playing  friendly but competitive stableford game. 

Opponent hits second shot and when we get to green it's missing. Both have a good look but it's not there. 

Opponent returns and hits provisional. I keep looking but zip. 

Ww finish the hole. 

Not sure if we got to 5 minutes. Not that relevant to this issue. 

Go to next tee and find ball. Opponent wants to play it. I say no.

Harsh? 

That's the rule. Maybe it's a tiny bit for a friendly match, but since you finished the hole, I think it's too much to ask to essentially get to replay the hole.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's the rule, he's the one that played out the hole.  Once he gets to the area where he expected the original to be, and THEN continued to play the provisional, the provisional became the ball in play..  In the group that I play with, that's how it would have been handled, with no hard feelings at all.  Just curious, though, do you have any idea how it got to the next tee?

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

When your opponent returned to the tee to hit another ball after looking where he thought his original was but couldn't be found, it was not a provisional ball. He just hit 3 from the tee at this point.

A provisional can only be hit before you begin to look/search (as a provision in case it isn't found), if you suspect it might not be found.  Regardless of how the ball got next to the next tee, your opponent couldn't use his original ball. Retrieve it, yes, but that's it.

• Upvote 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Not harsh.  Correct.

That is all....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

From the description, the second ball was never a provisional, it was the ball in play when it was struck.  You can't go look for your ball, and then return and play a provisional.  You are allowed to go forward a short distance (they say about 50 yards) to determine whether a provisional makes sense, but you don't get to search for the original, and then hit a provisional,

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!