IGNORED

Drill to stop Rushing Downswing

Note: This thread is 2536 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Two things that helped me get the feel of not rushing the downswing was to:

1. Practice on the range in which I took my normal backswing but would not start the downswing with my body until my arms were falling downward. Probably not a great way to hit balls with outside of a drill but it helped me slow down a bit.

2. Visualize Rory's gradual transition and try to feel as if I am making a similar move. It also helps me shallow the shaft so the feeling has had two benefits for my swing. 

Just wanted to share this post from another thread. It's important we make sure that the "rushing" is something that is happening and not just something you're feeling @gregsandiego. Mis-hits will always tend to feel "rushed".

22 hours ago, iacas said:

I've recorded golfers flushing a shot and then thinning one. Their tempos and swings aligned almost perfectly in 240 FPS video.

Yet after the one he yelled at himself to "stop rushing it" and after the other he said "there you go, nice and smooth." :-P

• Upvote 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, mvmac said:

Just wanted to share this post from another thread. It's important we make sure that the "rushing" is something that is happening and not just something you're feeling @gregsandiego. Mis-hits will always tend to feel "rushed".

I've noticed that with my long irons more so. If I thin my 4i or 5i it feels like my tempo is awful. 

On 4/27/2017 at 9:01 AM, mvmac said:

I've watched my swing at the PGA store machine. They look like someone slowly backing into a parking spot, then flooring it  forward.

OK so I am exaggerating - but it does look abrupt.

On 4/25/2017 at 5:20 AM, Lihu said:

Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one guilty of doing this. :-D

Doing what @Lihu ?

Endorsing?

Using the orange stick?

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

9 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Doing what @Lihu ?

Practicing in a golf store. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

3 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Practicing in a golf store. :-)

The deal I have there is better than Players Club. What  part of SoCal are you in ?

Here is what I want my swing to look like

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

The deal I have there is better than Players Club. What  part of SoCal are you in ?

Here is what I want my swing to look like

Pasadena CA.

I have an American Golf players club card with"AMPed" now for free the rest of the year. All the balls I could ever want to hit and all the golf I'd want to play really cheap.

So, my local stores don't see me that much any more. My favorite is Roger Dunn, second being Golf Galaxy then Dicks.

Edited by Lihu
American Golf (not sure why it didn't type out the first time?)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

45 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

How come that guy doesn't hinge?

On the backswing?

Looks fairly normal here, especially for pausing at the top. Tough to hinge it that much with an elbow position like that. 

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 9.38.51 PM.png

Mike McLoughlin

9 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

I guess. I was looking at about 51 seconds in. For that much shoulder turn that's not much hinge.

Probably why his short game is so good ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

20 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Probably why his short game is so good ;-)

We almost forgot about the gizmo. It looks like it has a ball that falls down the shaft. Maybe it won't work if you hinge horizontal.

On 4/29/2017 at 0:38 AM, gregsandiego said:

We almost forgot about the gizmo. It looks like it has a ball that falls down the shaft. Maybe it won't work if you hinge horizontal.

I've owned the "gizmo" training aid since last Fall - it stops you rushing down from the top. Basically, you've got a 7i  with a bearing or two that comes down the shaft. If you get too flat in the backswing, the bearing will not travel down the shaft to the grip.

I've had a very armsy swing, among other issues, and want the lower body to start the downswing. If you have the feel  (or attempting to ingrain the feel) of getting on the front foot and opening the hips, you must make that action. The gizmo doesn't do everything - YOU must focus on what you need to do when the bearings hit the lower end of the grip. You must get the feel that works and then use the gizmo to help you achieve that feel.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

1 hour ago, Mr. Desmond said:

I've owned the "gizmo" training aid since last Fall - it stops you rushing down from the top. Basically, you've got a 7i  with a bearing or two that comes down the shaft. If you get too flat in the backswing, the bearing will not travel down the shaft to the grip.

I've had a very armsy swing, among other issues, and want the lower body to start the downswing. If you have the feel  (or attempting to ingrain the feel) of getting on the front foot and opening the hips, you must make that action. The gizmo doesn't do everything - YOU must focus on what you need to do when the bearings hit the lower end of the grip. You must get the feel that works and then use the gizmo to help you achieve that feel.

That seems like a design flaw - or limitation. 

One thing I do to get a better back swing is try to get to absolute horizontal. I think this thing would give me a new constraint that would be confusing.

3 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

That seems like a design flaw - or limitation. 

One thing I do to get a better back swing is try to get to absolute horizontal. I think this thing would give me a new constraint that would be confusing.

A swing aid is designed to assist you - sometimes it exaggerates a move. The Euro Pro who designed it has a poor elbow position (or not textbook). Don't think he designed it for people to copy that position. I don't see PGA Touring Pros who use it with that elbow position. Don't worry.

Not a constraint - it may help you from hinging too much when you swing without the aid.

Design flaw? It is a golf club with some bearings down the shaft. A couple of PGA Pros who used it won within a few weeks of using it last year.

If you are taking the club inside and/or too flat, you've got issues if the marbles don't roll down the shaft.. If the bearings are not moving down, take the club back slightly more upright. Remember, it is a swing aid. The bearings don't lie.

Two ways to use it: (1) wait until the bearings fall all the way down and then commence the swing; or for more advanced players (2) wait until the bearings start to fall.

It will feel odd because you are waiting. If you already have a good lower body move with weight on front foot and hips opening, then you probably do not need this aid.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

^^^

Let me correct some of the above.

Okay, got the club out of the bag and did inside work. If you're connected and hinge correctly when taking the club back, then when the club is just above parallel (with hinge) going back with the clubhead outside your hands, the bearings fall, and you can finish the backswing any way you want.

And then begin the downswing with the lower body.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

IMO the biggest thing to have in mind is WHERE the clubhead should swing in relation to you.

Theres a lot of swing circle to your right if right handed that many just cut off by firing hands at ball from the top.

Slow motion with video can help to get a feel.  This might help to If a tempo focus seems ineffective

Changing where you intend to swing changes a lot

Note: This thread is 2536 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!