IGNORED

Kelly Tilghman comment

bca42
Note: This thread is 5954 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

She's a dufus all-in and if she got canned for any reason, it would be good for golf fans around the world.

I actually like her. I think it's good to have a woman on the air. I don't particularly like listening to and watching men commentate over and over. She at least provides something easy on the eyes, which is more to say than the rest of the Golf Channel anchors. You talk about her as if she is the worst of the worst. I have yet to hear a commentator that was really worth a damn. All they do is read cue cards and recite boring, mundane facts for the schmucks in the audience.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like her. I think it's good to have a woman on the air. I don't particularly like listening to and watching men commentate over and over. She at least provides something easy on the eyes, which is more to say than the rest of the Golf Channel anchors.

There are women in golf who can do the job a lot better. It is true there is no accounting for bad taste, so you just crank it up and listen to her uninformed comments, stupid questions and nonstop irrelevant player stats.

As for the Tiger comment, maybe she could use some of this MOUTH DETERGENT . SubPar

She's been suspended two weeks by the Golf Channel. I remember when Howard Cosell got fired for calling Alvin Garrett "a little monkey." It was a poor choice of words but Howard Cosell called many players, both black and white, "a little monkey." Ironically, one of them is involved in Golf, Mike Adamle.

As for Tighman, I think the suspension is enough. She was not being malicious. She just used a poor choice of words.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

• Administrator
I'm sure she didn't even think about a comment like that before she said it. Now she regrets it and has made amends to it. To bad the TGC has to cater to idiots like Al Sharpton let alone respond to the likes of him. He probably didn't even know of the comment being made. If the #1 player in the world was a white guy and she said that there wouldn't even be another word about it said.

All you have to go on is that the suspension was announced after Sharpton talked somewhere. Big whoop.

I doubt very much TGC gives a flying poo about Al Sharpton. Coincidental timing - that's all. I wish TGC had reacted more quickly (and Kelly could have apologized the NEXT day instead of waiting two days), but they likely wanted to make sure cooler heads prevailed. They didn't decide on something and then change their mind 2 hours later just because some idiot ranted on about it.
If Faldo used the phrase, "gang up on him" couldn't that also be racist - clearly he was only talking about black gangs, not hispanic, italian, chinese, russian, etc.

Let's not be silly.

Lynch is a term tinged with racism. Gang is not. Furthermore, "gang up" doesn't imply murder like lynching does, so even if we take racism out of the question, Kelly's comments were out of line.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I actually like her. I think it's good to have a woman on the air. I don't particularly like listening to and watching men commentate over and over. She at least provides something easy on the eyes, which is more to say than the rest of the Golf Channel anchors.

i have to agree with you whole-heartedly.

I personally think that Peter Alliss on the Euro tour is best commentator going-around.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

In most cases, Al Sharpton is usually part of the problem and not the solution.

I do dream of a day when racism is non-existant and things like this aren't as big a deal. Probably won't see it in my lifetime though.
"The only thing in my bag that works is the bug spray."

In My Bag:
Big Bertha 454 Titanium (10º)
Big Bertha Fairway Woods Ping G2 HL (Black Dot) Ping M/B (56º & 52º) Mizuno MP-R Series (60º) Odyssey Black Series i #7

Your comment about the prom sounds like it may derive from personal experience. I didn't go.

Nice. No, I was just trying to think of something that could provoke such hostility towards a talking head on television. I don't like John Madden and Al Michaels, but don't go around the internet calling for them to be fired from their jobs. It just seems like a lot of wasted energy to me, but whatever lights your cigar I guess.

• Administrator
I've never posted before - but I thought I should get involved on this topic. It troubles me for some reason. If interested, I just drafted a petition. I don't know if anyone cares or not, but sign if you do.

No offense intended here, but I have

never seen an online petition do anything .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

None taken, and I haven't either. Probably a waste of fifteen minutes, which could have been used for TPS Reports.

What is it with ya'll? Why are you concerned about Kelly Tighhman and her abilities as golf sportscaster. Clearly she is new to it and learning as she goes along.. Most of the other talking heads on the golf channel aren't much better and add little value to the broadcast, unless their demonstrating a shot, or pointing out the advantages of Stack and Tilt...etc.

Guess what I'm suggesting here is you'd be better off paying attention to why Kelly has a club head speed of 85 mph and while most of you guys can barely clear 75, if you can do that. Hell, I'd be happy if I had an 85mph club head speed and I don't hit a bad drive.

Anyway, I think I've made my point. We'd all be better served paying attention to our respective games as opposed to Kelly's broadcasting abilities or whether she's a switch hitter... Have a great weekend folks..

There are women in golf who can do the job a lot better.

Who?

It is true there is no accounting for bad taste,

And are you saying I have bad taste because I prefer to look at an attractive female over an overweight, middle aged man that is spitting out useless information from a cue card? If so, then I'm glad I have bad taste.

so you just crank it up and listen to her uninformed comments, stupid questions and nonstop irrelevant player stats.

Please tell me which sports announcers does not do this?

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

What is it with ya'll? Why are you concerned about Kelly Tighhman and her abilities as golf sportscaster. Clearly she is new to it and learning as she goes along.. Most of the other talking heads on the golf channel aren't much better and add little value to the broadcast, unless their demonstrating a shot, or pointing out the advantages of Stack and Tilt...etc.

I couldn't agree more. I don't watch The Golf Channel religiously, but I watch it enough to know that Kelly does just as good a job as any of the others on there.

"The only thing in my bag that works is the bug spray."

In My Bag:
Big Bertha 454 Titanium (10º)
Big Bertha Fairway Woods Ping G2 HL (Black Dot) Ping M/B (56º & 52º) Mizuno MP-R Series (60º) Odyssey Black Series i #7

Who?

There are several who have worked the LPGA events that are quite good. Dottie Pepper and Judy Rankin work PGA event on the course and are pretty good. At least they know something about golf. Laura Baugh has great insight into the game and makes an impression.
Please tell me which sports announcers does not do this?

There are some who walk the line between being entertaining and annoying. You'll notice David Feherty and Gary McCord are only applied in small doses. The idea is to entertain and inform the viewers with relevant insights, information and banter. Some are better than others. Kelly is worse than most.

She soared to new lows this week when, out of left field, she offered up that VJ had more birdies last year than the guy he was playing with and then gives the number for each. Not relevant to anything going on, not interesting and you get the feeling they all have these stats in front of them, but the smart ones don't feel compelled to mention them all. Her comment that the two players in the group behind VJ had very "different builds" was captivating... Calcavecchia and some young slim guy. And she always sounds as though this bullshit is simply fascinating. The people she works with don't care for her banal commentary... make note how many times she addresses one of them with some idiotic question and they never even acknowledge her. She makes me long for the silly, aimless, meandering golf coverage offered up by "geezer" and "short bus" on the European Tour events. The sooner she is gone the better. SubPar

I was staying out of this for a few reasons but I feel I need to say a few things. Erik's comment was right on, but I would like to add a few things. I can't imagine why Kelly choose those words but I'm sure it was more in ignorance than anything else. The statement she made may have been in jest, but many things can be said in jest and be utterly offensive to large groups of people. Kelly is a broadcaster she should be well aware to stay away from such a brow raising comment, it's her job!!! I think suspending her is on the harsh side but I'm sure TGC wants to make sure it will not happen again. Finally lets remember this is a Gentleman's game the statement made was surely not gentlemanly.

In the Bag:
Driver:Adams Speedline F11 9 degree RIP Gamma 

3 Wood: Adams Fast 10 15 degrees Voodoo shaft
Hybrid: Irons: Mizuno MP59 Sensicore  XStiff

Wedges: Cleveland Gun Metal 52 56 degree

Putter: Rife: Belly Barbados Tropical

Ball: Titliest Pro V 1

Yea I also feel bad for her I liked her and still do. I wonder if she was a little nervouse with Nick Faldo sitting so close to her. Also I have never seen her looking so pretty, could she have a crush on Nicky?? JIM

Wow I think you hit the nail on the head. You can add Rachel Ray to that group of women who just don't know when to take a breath. It is non stop bla bla bla When Kelly stopped doing the Grey Goose I started loosing interest. Why do they go overboard ?Sometimes I just turn the sound off when the babbeling starts. JIM

She def. deserved her suspension for what she said. When you are in the public eye as a sportscaster is, you need to be aware of what you say at all times. Period.

Hi-bore - 8.5* w/ 77g UST ProForce v2 stiff

PT- 21* x100 shaft

Ta3- Form Forged s300 shaftsVokey 52* 56*- Red X2 center shafted 33" ProV1x- High Numbers only (5's)

Note: This thread is 5954 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!