IGNORED

What Would a 20.1 (see post #95) Index Shoot at a Local U.S. Open Qualifier Site?

kpaulhus
Note:Β This thread is 1630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I have a golf friend who loves to get guys to bet him with only 3 clubs and a putter. He picks 3 iron, 7 iron and PW. His score honestly is about the same as with a full bag. It almost takes all the big numbers out of play.

Trollin' is the life

7 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

I have a golf friend who loves to get guys to bet him with only 3 clubs and a putter. He picks 3 iron, 7 iron and PW. His score honestly is about the same as with a full bag. It almost takes all the big numbers out of play.

I played against my 20 handicap friend involved in this bet, with only a 6 iron, no putter. I still beat him by 13 shots. That round was a much more fun for me than him.Β 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check outΒ Evolvr

:callaway:Β Rogue ST 10.5* |Β :callaway:Β Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade:Β P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist:Β 716Β AP2Β | Β :edel:Β Wedges 50/54/68 |Β :edel:Β Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67Β (18 holes),Β 32Β (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I was younger and a better player, 3 to 5 index, I played several 20+ handicaps using a 7 iron, sand wedge and putter. I beat them all usually shooting around 85.

Still waiting to hear how the 20 did or does. Remember the roundΒ must be played "by the rules of golf" NO cart or range finder.

Edited by Groundhog34

6 minutes ago, Groundhog34 said:

When I was younger and a better player, 3 to 5 index, I played several 20+ handicaps using a 7 iron, sand wedge and putter. I beat them all usually shooting around 85.

Still waiting to hear how the 20 did or does. Remember the roundΒ must be played "by the rules of golf" NO cart or range finder.

Range finders are allowed these days, as long as they dont have slope.Β 

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway:Β Rogue ST 10.5* |Β :callaway:Β Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade:Β P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist:Β 716Β AP2Β | Β :edel:Β Wedges 50/54/68 |Β :edel:Β Deschutes 36"

15 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

He usually plays 5800 yards. The qualifying round will be at 7000. For example, the 3rd hole Par 3 on the "qualifying course"Β tonight from the back tees was playing 217. I foresee him having to play from the drop zoneΒ 

IMG_0297.PNG

I think that's reaching on your part. He could just as easily hit his hybrid or 3 wood a bit over the green and take all hazards out of play...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Killa said:

I think that's reaching on your part. He could just as easily hit his hybrid or 3 wood a bit over the green and take all hazards out of play...

If the OP has played with him, it's less of a reach than any of us assuming he can easily carry his hybrid or 3 wood that far.Β I likely don't hit as far he does, but that's a decent carry using my driver.

Jon

8 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

If the OP has played with him, it's less of a reach than any of us assuming he can easily carry his hybrid or 3 wood that far.Β I likely don't hit as far he does, but that's a decent carry using my driver.

I mean I'm a 36 and I can carry that easily with my 3 wood. The biggest problem I would face is that I don't have a club between my 3 wood and 4 iron. The 4 iron would probably be just short of the green. Game golf has my typical 5 iron at 194 yards.Β 

15 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

Range finders are allowed these days, as long as they dont have slope.Β 

Not in theΒ US Open. Β I don't know aboutΒ the qualifiers. Β 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

16 hours ago, Killa said:

A 20 handicap chances of mishitting a 3 wood or hitting it way off line is pretty good.Β 

• Upvote 1

Trollin' is the life

3 hours ago, Killa said:

I mean I'm a 36 and I can carry that easily with my 3 wood. The biggest problem I would face is that I don't have a club between my 3 wood and 4 iron. The 4 iron would probably be just short of the green. Game golf has my typical 5 iron at 194 yards.Β 

From my limited experience, you have exceptional distance vs your HC. That kind of distance will serve you well as you improve.

Jon

On 6/30/2017 at 0:41 PM, Killa said:

I'm not reaching. No 20 handicap is hitting a high 3 wood that stops on a green. If, and that's a big if, he hits it 220 all carry then when it rolls off the back of the green down the 30ft embankment he will not get up and down. His best chance would be to punch it into the hill on the back of the green and pray it stops before rolling down the green into the water in front again. These are yellow stakes, so he would have to walk back around to the drop zone hitting at least 4.

Kyle Paulhus

20 hours ago, Killa said:

For course rating purposes:

Bogey Golfer Defined. TheΒ USGA'sΒ Handicap Manual defines a maleΒ bogey golferΒ as a player with a course handicap β€œof approximately 20 on a course of standard difficulty,” whose tee shots travel about 200 yards, and who can typically reach the green of a 370-yard hole in two strokes.

That's about average, you are definately an outlier if you hit that far and you have an HI of 36.Β Maybe that's a typo and you are a 3.6?

Edited by No Mulligans

3 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

That's about average, you are definately an outlier if you hit that far and you have an HI of 36.Β Maybe that's a typo and you are a 3.6?

Well I might be a 30ish, but I only have 2 qualifying rounds. I am quite a bad golf player :) For example the last tournament I played in - If I took only the best 9 holes out of 18, my score was +6. The other 8 were a double, and a lot of triples.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

That's the definition for rating purposes. Some people are bogey golfers or 20.1 because they're wild. Or can't putt. Or whatever.

P.S. Those who are higher handicappers because they "can't putt" are pretty rare, but still… ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, iacas said:

P.S. Those who are higher handicappers because they "can't putt" are pretty rare, but still… ;-)

Right. I consider myself an exceptionally poor putter, but it isn't like the rest of game is really good.

In other words, if I improved my average downΒ to 2 putts per hole, my average score would still be just aboveΒ 90.

Jon

Oh and I don't really think length has such a major impact on hcp. Especially in the 30 and above hcp class.Β 

Note:Β This thread is 1630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!