IGNORED

Proper adjustment for a Carry Bag

Note: This thread is 2473 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I tried searching for any threads with "carry bag'' or '2 strap bag" and either my search query is  bad, or the words don't show in any.

Is there a proper or correct position the bag should be in on the lower back? Like on the lower back, on the pelvic bone, or just lower on the top of the gluteus?

I am 68 and want to walk as many times as I can for the exercise.

In my bag: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5º driver ;  Cobra Bio Cell 3w;  Mizuno MP H4 3 - PW;  Mizuno MP T4 52º GW, 56º SW, 60º LW
Favorite ball Titleist Pro-V
One HIO....LUCK.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, No Mulligans said:

At 68 I would hope the proper position for your bag would be on a push or pull cart.  Carrying a bag won't hurt your back until it does.

:-D  I do have a nice Clicgear push cart that I use a fair amount, always for 18 unless I use a rider on hot days. But when I just run out in the morning for 9 holes it is easier to just throw the bag in the car and go.  I am pretty physically fit and have no trouble walking 9, just wanted to carry the bag right.

In my bag: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5º driver ;  Cobra Bio Cell 3w;  Mizuno MP H4 3 - PW;  Mizuno MP T4 52º GW, 56º SW, 60º LW
One HIO....LUCK.

7 hours ago, metbid said:

Is there a proper or correct position the bag should be in on the lower back? Like on the lower back, on the pelvic bone, or just lower on the top of the gluteus?

I am 68 and want to walk as many times as I can for the exercise.

When I carry my bag it sits near my mid back, maybe just lower than my shoulder blades. I've moved on to a push cart. Way easier on the body and I feel like walking more often :) 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

14 hours ago, saevel25 said:

When I carry my bag it sits near my mid back, maybe just lower than my shoulder blades. I've moved on to a push cart. Way easier on the body and I feel like walking more often :) 

I bought a Sun Mountain Four 5 carry bag and when I adjust it up to carry on mid back, I barely have any of the cushion pad left on my shoulders.  My home course is somewhat hilly (not too bad),  so sometimes pushing a cart can be tiresome too.

One HIO....LUCK.

23 hours ago, saevel25 said:

8 hours ago, metbid said:

I bought a Sun Mountain Four 5 carry bag and when I adjust it up to carry on mid back, I barely have any of the cushion pad left on my shoulders.  My home course is somewhat hilly (not too bad),  so sometimes pushing a cart can be tiresome too.

I like saevel's idea. When you're carrying a backpack you don't want the load resting on the roof of the back porch! You want it a little higher than that, otherwise it will kill your hips!

For you, metbid, if the straps don't adjust properly, maybe you can contact Sun Mountain to see if there's a remedy. They're a pretty advanced company and their bags are great. And there used to be padded sleeves that you could slide over the straps to get the padding where you need it. Don't know if they are made anymore, but it could be worth looking into.

God bless you for walking even 9 holes at 68!

From what I understand, the higher the bag/backpack, the better it is for your back and shoulders. (Which makes sense, since the higher it is the shorter the moment arm.)

The number one thing is just to make sure it's comfortable. If you pull it up too high it's tough to get on and off, but too low and it'll start to wear you out. Find that happy medium, and check periodically that it hasn't started loosening.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 2473 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!