IGNORED

Drive Drops straight to the ground (Top Spin???)

Note: This thread is 2363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey everyone, I'm brand new to this forum, but this seemed like a great place to ask this question cause I can't seem to get any answers. So My drives used to go about 280-310 and pretty straight. But the last 2-3 years I have completely lost the ability to hit straight drives. I use a Cleveland Classic driver and I tend to slice the ball pretty badly. Starts right and goes even further right. So about a month ago I purchased a Taylor Made M2 driver and the weirdest thing happens every time I hit it. The ball will start it's path normally, then after about 100 yards it takes a nosedive straight into the ground. I know topspin shouldn't be possible with a driver but that is what it looks like whenever I hit this new driver. And it only happens with this driver. So I've gone back to my old driver cause I'll take 275 and in the trees on the right over like 180. Does anybody have any thoughts on what could be causing this? Obviously my swing is a mess but I don't understand what is going on with my new driver and how the ball could take that kind of path.

• Administrator

Got video of your swing? Where are you hitting it on the face?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Were you fitted for the m2? I wonder if different shaft lengths is one of the possible reasons for your issue 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Almost sounds like not enough backspin. The ball will just kind of drop out of the sky mid-flight.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I've never been fitted for a driver before,  but it has been recommended to me. Perhaps I'm underestimating the benefits of doing that? 

And I'm hitting it mostly square,  maybe a little low,  but even ones that hit square do the same path. What would cause the ball to lack backspin? Shouldn't that be given no matter what? 

I might upload a video if I can find the time this week. 

Yes, a ball diving into the ground sounds like overspin, but that's kind of a hard thing to do. You have to horribly mis-hit a shot to accomplish it!

A vid might go a long way to diagnosis.

2 hours ago, P Thriller said:

And I'm hitting it mostly square,  maybe a little low,  but even ones that hit square do the same path. What would cause the ball to lack backspin? Shouldn't that be given no matter what? 

I might upload a video if I can find the time this week. 

That would put more backspin on the ball.  

I am not sure how aggressive the forward and low CG is on the M2. It could be you just have the combo of slower swing speed with sub 2000 rpm spin rates. It sounds like you just don't have enough backspin to keep the ball in the air. 

How far did you previously hit the ball on an average drive? 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

11 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

That would put more backspin on the ball.  

I am not sure how aggressive the forward and low CG is on the M2. It could be you just have the combo of slower swing speed with sub 2000 rpm spin rates. It sounds like you just don't have enough backspin to keep the ball in the air. 

How far did you previously hit the ball on an average drive? 

Average probably about 280. Long of about 315. My swing speed is between 100-115 

• 3 months later...

Hi Thriller,

did you ever sort this out? Any tips?

the exact same thing has been happening to me! It’s so frustrating! see my vid and post below. If you have any advice that’d be great. Some of my issue was my swing path, see the tips I got in the thread below (may help you)

Note: This thread is 2363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!