IGNORED

Low trajectory DI/hybrid

Note: This thread is 2438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All,

Really improving my game this summer, and I'm now looking to add a low trajectory shot to my bag. 

Higher trajactory of hybrids & woods often suits me well, but I also sometimes hit these clubs left (as well as to the right). I'm comfortable with Irons and would like to add a DI or maybe a very low flying low loft hybrid for shots where placement matters more. Would also serve me better on downhill holes. 

Ideally something with forgiveness for off center hits without anything that encourages a higher trajectory. Even a good standard 2 iron perhaps?

Any recommendations much appreciated. Cost is a factor so cheaper is better for me. 

Edited by RandallT
change "not" to "now" to avoid confusion. I think author meant they are NOW looking

10 hours ago, Moxley said:

Ideally something with forgiveness for off center hits without anything that encourages a higher trajectory. Even a good standard 2 iron perhaps?

Forgiveness for off-center hits? You don't want a 2 iron.

Your choice depends in part on how much clubhead speed you generate. A 2H (17*) or 3H (19*) would be worth trying. Go for a Pro or Tour head... these normally have a square face and will lessen chance of hooks. A shaft with a high flex-point will help you keep launch down; from there, have a heavy enough shaft you can maintain control.

Matrix Ozik Black Tie shafts give low launch and low spin, as do the Mitsu Diamana D+ PLUS.

I'll let others discuss Driving Irons.

Edited by WUTiger
  • Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks WU,

You are probably right regarding 2i , although I do have a 16 degree hybrid , and I usually hit it very high. 

I took my old dunlop 3 Iron out of storage to the range the other day, and , although harder to hit than the hybrids, it had the shot shape I was after - I don't generate a lot of swing speed, but enough to carry the 3i about 165-170 . But the main holes I'd be using this for are ones where i'm expecting a lot of roll, so I can live with lower carry. 

So basically, something like the 3i but maybe lower and an upgrade on the dunlop.

Thank you for the suggestions on shaft and squared heads, neither of which I'd considered. I though tour/pro etc were just marketing words!

8 hours ago, Moxley said:

You are probably right regarding 2i , although I do have a 16 degree hybrid , and I usually hit it very high.

You might try adjusting ball position rearward on the 2H, see if that brings the trajectory down. Also, what kind of shaft does 2H have?

• Upvote 1

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I have the Adams pro mini 2 hybrid and it has a little bit(not much) of forgiveness.  I really enjoy hitting it off the tee.  I don't know that I would recommend it for many players though.  The head is pretty small and probably intimidating to many.  Your issue @Moxley does sound like potentially more of a side effect of your impact conditions rather than the club though.   

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

14 hours ago, WUTiger said:

You might try adjusting ball position rearward on the 2H, see if that brings the trajectory down. Also, what kind of shaft does 2H have?

I will try that. It's a regular flex graphite shaft. 

When you referred to a high flex point above, I assume that you meant a stiffer shaft ?

Before you add a club that may sit in the bag most of the time practice with what you have. As mentioned earlier try ball back in your stance, some forward shaft lean, see if that gets a trajectory you like. 

14 hours ago, Moxley said:

When you referred to a high flex point above, I assume that you meant a stiffer shaft ?

A shaft with a higher flex point, similar to kick point, will launch the ball lower than a shaft with a low flex point. A low flex point - closer to tip of shaft - tends to flip the ball up into the air more, while a high flex point will give a smoother, more even power release.

Many shaft comparison charts have quit mentioning flex/kick, and simply describe the trajectory (TRAJ) of the shot: low, mid or high, or sometimes combinations of these three. That's easier to understand for most people.

But shaft ratings have gotten a lot more complex than just weight, flex and kickpoint. More complex systems:

While low-launch shafts tend to be stiffer, there are comparative exceptions. Within shaft models, you have launch variations according to flex.

For the Fuji Speeder Evolution II 569 wood shaft:

• R-flex has MPF of 3B3M and mid TRAJ
  • S-flex has MPF of 4B2M and low-mid TRAJ
  • Upvote 1

I would take a lesson.  If you are hitting a 2 Hybrid high you are adding loft.  I am playing APEX Hybrids.  They are not draw biased.  I can hit the 2H (which does not seen to be sold anymore) low if I want to.

You can also place a hybrid back in the middle of your stance to produce a lower ballflght like any other club. But what WUTiger mentioned about shafts is a large factor of how high or low the ball flys. 

I think taylormade and titleist make great hybrids. You can probably find 3-4 year old models for less than 100 US. 

2 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

You can also place a hybrid back in the middle of your stance to produce a lower ballflght like any other club. But what WUTiger mentioned about shafts is a large factor of how high or low the ball flys. 

I think taylormade and titleist make great hybrids. You can probably find 3-4 year old models for less than 100 US. 

I 2nd this. I just picked up a used Taylormade 3 hybrid to replace my 3 iron. Has adjustable loft from 17.5-19.5 degrees I believe. Was only $30 at Golf Galax. Goes just as far as a my well struck 3 iron, and is much much easier to hit and get in the air than the 3 iron was. I dont see myself ever going back to the 3 iron, and probably will look for one to replace my 4 iron as well.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Thanks All. 

Great information about Shafts Wu, never something I'd paid attention to , but could well be the answer for my next hybrid purchase. 

Fair shout about technique - I have a lesson booked in next month, so will raise with the pro and see if I can get the forward lean to work for me. 

51 minutes ago, klineka said:

I 2nd this. I just picked up a used Taylormade 3 hybrid to replace my 3 iron. Has adjustable loft from 17.5-19.5 degrees I believe. Was only $30 at Golf Galax. Goes just as far as a my well struck 3 iron, and is much much easier to hit and get in the air than the 3 iron was. I dont see myself ever going back to the 3 iron, and probably will look for one to replace my 4 iron as well.

I haven't used a traditional 3 iron in over 10 years. They've gone the way of the 1 & 2 iron as far as I'm concerned..lol. It'll probably be awhile before i ditch the 4 iron, though. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

Note: This thread is 2438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!