IGNORED

Shaft Selection Help

Note: This thread is 2467 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello there! I went to get fitted for a new driver fully expecting to get the Epic, but turns out the new Ping G400 LTS is the club for me. It keeps my spin rate down low enough and I was getting an extra 15 yards or so of distance from my current driver.  However, the club fitter fit me for an after market shaft at $400. I just can't afford to spend almost $900 on a driver right now, so I am going to just purchase one of the stock shafts from Ping but I am looking for some help selecting the right one.

I was fitted for a Mitsubishi Diamana W series 60, which of the shaft options would be best for me? The G400 LST Alta Stiff shaft (59g) or the Stiff Tour Shaft (61g). Any suggestions on which would be closest to that one? Thanks!

Paging @WUTiger

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The G400 LST is the low-spin version of the latest Ping driver family. The LST is similar to the G30 LSTec and G LS.Tec drivers - you need some clubhead speed to get this one to launch properly, and it appears you do.

The upgrade shaft which your fitter suggested is in the Mitsubishi New Generation - Series W shafts: made for low launch and low spin, and evidently guaranteeing Mitsu some nice $$ along the way.

• NewG - Series W shaft...stiff / 64 grams / high kick-point (low launch) / torque = 3.2 (below average = less twisting)

The two Ping stock shafts you mention:

• Alta CB55 shaft... Stiff / 59 grams / mid-launch
  • Ping Tour 65 shaft...Stiff / 61 grams / low-mid launch
    • Also consider Tour 65 XS / 66 grams / low launch

The Mitsu is tad heavier, launches lower. Of the two Ping shafts, it depends on which one works best for you.

We don't have any data from the NewG/W to work with, nor any from the two Ping shafts. You would need to do a side-by-side comparison of the three on the launch monitor.

Remember, you don't want too much of a good thing. Most of the stiff shafts in the G400 driver zone are not low launch. You don't want to spend money on a hot new driver you can only get airborne on good swing days. Again, launch monitor - and your budget - will give you details to help you decide.

For a field test, you might find a golf club that rents out Ping clubs, and rent a set with a LST and try it out on the course. 

P.S. What did the fitter say when you told him $400 for an upcharge was too much?

Edited by WUTiger
  • Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Why don't you check out sites like eBay or global golf for the shaft?  If u need to have an adapter put on the the G400 and don't know how to do it just bring it to Golf Galaxy and they will do it for u.

Thank you so much for the help, everyone! I ended up heading out to the PGA Superstore and tested out the various "standard" shafts. Going to go with the HZRDS stiff shaft, that is only a $75 upcharge.

Thanks again!

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:31 PM, SeanDel said:

I just can't afford to spend almost $900 on a driver right now, so I am going to just purchase one of the stock shafts from Ping but I am looking for some help selecting the right one.

I doubt you will see a bit difference between the stock shaft options they offer versus the after market shaft.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:31 PM, SeanDel said:

I was fitted for a Mitsubishi Diamana W series 60, which of the shaft options would be best for me? The G400 LST Alta Stiff shaft (59g) or the Stiff Tour Shaft (61g). Any suggestions on which would be closest to that one? Thanks!

Not sure if it is an upcharge, but the Ping Tour 65 could be a good match. It's the same weight range and low launch. The other option might be to go up to a 70 gram shaft, maybe the Project X HZRDUS Yellow. It looks like any of the shafts you want will have a slight upcharge by Ping's website.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2467 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!