IGNORED

To upgrade or just regrip old ones

Note: This thread is 2433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok first off, squeaky new 54 yr old ball chaser. I currently have a set of Ping eye 2 blue dots 1-9 pw,sw, lw, Ben hogan 3 hybrid, tour edge bazooka QL Driver, odyssey DX putter.   Ok the irons have a arthritic grip on them but grips are to big for me. But I do hit them straight. Now instructor commented on how I either need to regrip all the clubs minus the putter. 

Now not sure about length or flex. I got the whole iron set for 5 bucks at a garage sale so I'm not that vested in them. So regrip or buy new. 

Now with info in hand not really playing a full 18 yet mostly play 9's either a par 3 (shot 41 yesterday) or 9 on the par 72 (48 was last round).  Short to mid Irons I hit pretty straight. Long irons and drivers I slice/fade right.

Many info thoughts or jabs( in good humor) budget about 500.00 

That's not a bad beginning setup at all....especially for $5!

I'd regrip, at a cost of about $125 or so, and play/learn for another year or so.  Keep saving towards some new clubs and then get fit and pull the trigger when you (and your instructor) know a little more about your game.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just concerned about polishing a turd ? new grips on old clubs. The tech from 30 year old clubs will I see improvement in new tech or get me right before i.e.. lessons and time on the course. ?  

Ping eye2s are fine, ask your instructor. You probably won't buy better clubs for $500.  

Regrip and play, you can do it yourself for less if you need to save money.

7 minutes ago, Maddmaxx63 said:

Any thoughts on grips would lean towards golf pride

Golf Pride grips are just fine.  Knowing this may be an interim solution, you could use one of the lower-priced grips like Tour Wrap or Tour Velvet.  The other option, if you can find someone who uses air to mount the grips rather than tape and solvent, is to buy more expensive grips that can be removed and re-used at a later time.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Agree with the all the comments/advice that has been given.

Plenty of people still play with Eye2's. Only concern I have is if the Blue fits you. If not mistaken, they are 1* upright and 1/2 inch longer than black. intended for someone around 6'1'' or taller, but this is not a hard and fast rule as arm length plays into it as well.

I don't look at grips as an investment or improvement, more like changing the oil in your car, or waxing it. New grips make old clubs feel new, as they are the only interface with the club.

I like Lamkin Crosslines, if I don't have something specific in mind. A good durable, no frills grip. Certainly the Golf Pride grips are just as good or better, just my preference. I have begun trying the GP multi-compound in a premium grip.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Is the mounting something I could do? Also saw a video of pine meadow clubs being made and they used air to mount them.  Watched a few YouTube videos on regripping doesn't look like rocket science but is there a hidden secret that makes getting it done better? 

I mounted new grips on a complete set of irons (4-GW) using a can of compressed air. Like the kind you use to clean off your keyboard. It's not at all difficult. 

Edited by Joeyvee
  • Upvote 1

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

So my. Low gun attachment in my air compressor would work then ? Also. What are the advantages or disadvantages of one method over the other? 

2 minutes ago, Maddmaxx63 said:

So my. Low gun attachment in my air compressor would work then ? Also. What are the advantages or disadvantages of one method over the other? 

Absolutely. If you can lower the pressure lower the pressure though. You don't need a lot of air flow, or pressure at all. I like it because it was cheaper, and I can regrip in 2 minutes if I wanted to.

Oh, and for the record Ping Eye II's are great clubs. Yes, there are "better" clubs out there, but if you hit those well enjoy them. I have a set I dust off every once in a while and I still hit them fine. 

Edited by Joeyvee

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Thanks. My local club wants 10 bucks a club to regrip lamkin grips. Another place did 3 clubs for 20 bucks and used DTG grips which I see go for a buck or two. Not sure which grips to buy  golf pride on high end dtg on the bottom. Lamkins in the middle. See I can get a full 13 set with tape and solvent for about 70ish of the lamkins or 27 for dtg. And golf pro tight at 140   I do like the pings and I can hit the mid irons nice and straight. 

Note: This thread is 2433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!