IGNORED

Shot Scope GPS + Performance Tracker?

Note: This thread is 1359 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,
I have been looking into getting a GPS watch for a while as I feel like it would greatly benefit my game. I have looked at Game Golf and Arccos and both have pretty good reviews. However, I have been online this morning and noticed a company called Shot Scope on Twitter who have just released a product which combines GPS and Performance Tracking. They are offering a $60 refundable deposit and pay remaining balance ($150 i think) when they ship in October. Product looks really good (got pic from their Twitter) and website talks a good game - https://shotscope.com/ Any of you used a Shot Scope before? I like the idea of having a GPS to help me on course and the fact it collects all my stats to look at off course seems a real bonus. Think it could definitely help me focus on my practice and improve my game. Any thoughts on this and GPS in general would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

DGTM9QLVwAAZl2P.jpg

Wow...that looks great!  I had never heard if that company but I clicked the link and it looks impressive.  Getting all that for around $200...Wow.  

I have been using a Bushnell Neo for a few years now , front/center and back and love it.  I'm going to look more into this one!

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's a great idea, but I'm skeptical of "automated tagging".  I really like the way Game Golf works, requiring a manual tag on each shot and eliminating any error.

I do like that a single wearable device has GPS and shot tagging, though.  If GG came out with a watch like this that replaced their belt unit but maintained manual tagging, I'd probably buy it (yes, "tapping" against your wrist is more awkward than the belt, but it'd be worth it for me).

A lot will also depend on the software side, too.  They'll have to be able to match the statistical feature set of Arccos and GG.

• Thumbs Up 1

- John

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late replies, been away on holiday/working.

I emailed their customer service to ask how automatic tagging works and they say that they have 'ClubSense' tech in their tags which distinguishes between practice swings and real swings. Read a few reviews of their first product which was just performance tracking and they are ally pretty positive, especially when it comes to picking up shots. They have a thing called PinCollect too which is a button your press next to the hole once you have putted out and it records where the flag was for extra putting accuracy. After a bit of thought I decided what the heck, if I change my mind then I haven't lost anything...it's only a $60 refundable deposit. Excited to hear more about it and see some reviews. Looking forward to getting it myself, bring on October!

you can get that and more from garmin vivoactive. It is also waterproof. I also use it for running 5k, and swimming. best watch i ever bought. the performance tracker in game golf live is amazing and you also have a community and competitions in the app & website.

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

• 2 weeks later...

That watch is huge, look for photos of it.  Arccos has an Apple watch app.  You run it with Arccos and  your watch will display front middle back.  I realize that is expensive but if you already have the apple watch or desire the watch it might make sense.

I use Arccos and a Garmin watch which I had before I picked up Arccos.  GPS watches are pretty cost effective now.

I like being able to pull my phone and measure to hazards or layups using he Arccos app.  A watch plus Arccos app is the best of both worlds in my opinion.  If I had any desire for an Apple watch I'd go that route.

Edited by inthecup

• 6 months later...

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has tried this, I've been reading up on their website and it looks like a good solution. @BerndCheeseburger hasn't logged in for awhile, but he mentioned above that he was going to give it a go.

Anyone?

• 2 months later...
On 3/19/2018 at 9:24 AM, Eric C said:

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has tried this, I've been reading up on their website and it looks like a good solution. @BerndCheeseburger hasn't logged in for awhile, but he mentioned above that he was going to give it a go.

Anyone?

For what it's worth, I'm giving it a go.  Purchased for $224 and it arrived yesterday so I hope to try it out soon.

I've been using GolfPadGPS for quite a while.  They supply tags for your clubs which you must manually swipe with your phone running the app.  Then the app communicates with their app running on my Samsung S3 Frontier watch.  I've liked the phone and wearable apps for the most part mostly for the GPS feature.  I have to admit to getting spoiled using the information on my watch.  Not only did they show yardages but also a recommended club, even so much that it might say "Soft Gap Wedge" for that yardage.  I'm afraid it was the manually process of swiping the club tag that's got me looking for an alternative.  I'll either forget to swipe, fail to have the swipe register or accidentally have a club to close to my pocket registering false shots.  This has made my game a nightmare as I repair the errors.  I spent so much time playing with my tech that it has been throwing both me and my playing partners into a tizzy and affecting my game.

So I jumped at the ad for an automatic tagging feature of Shot Scope that promises to end all the tech tizzy and just let me play and forget about the tracking that is occurring.  I suppose that I will miss the club recommendations but think it'll be good for me in the long run knowing my own yardages and choosing clubs.  Then the feedback I get from the Shot Scope apps will keep me on target.

So I hope to be able to report back here after a couple rounds with my thoughts on this technology.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 3/19/2018 at 2:24 PM, Eric C said:

Anyone?

Hi - I'm new to TST but noticed the thread on Shotscope.  I purchased mine at the start of last season (March 2018) and have recorded 43 rounds with it.  Apart from some minor post round editing the process is straight forward with little manual input - the watch does it all.  The performance stats are helpful at analysing everything about your game and I intend to use the results from season 2018 to use as a benchmark for performance improvement in 2019.  I've also just started reading Lowest Score Wins and I am confident the combination of performance improvement and more focussed & effective practice will take my handicap down this season.  If you haven't bought it already I'd strongly consider doing so.  Happy golfing! 

2 hours ago, NSC said:

Hi - I'm new to TST but noticed the thread on Shotscope.  I purchased mine at the start of last season (March 2018) and have recorded 43 rounds with it.  Apart from some minor post round editing the process is straight forward with little manual input - the watch does it all.  The performance stats are helpful at analysing everything about your game and I intend to use the results from season 2018 to use as a benchmark for performance improvement in 2019.  I've also just started reading Lowest Score Wins and I am confident the combination of performance improvement and more focussed & effective practice will take my handicap down this season.  If you haven't bought it already I'd strongly consider doing so.  Happy golfing! 

On 3/19/2018 at 9:24 AM, Eric C said:

Anyone?

Hi, I've used ShotScope for most of the lat season and I have to say it works as advertised. As a former GoldPad offer, this technology has feed me up from the manual swiping and tweaking I had to do previously. I start the round by having it find me and the course I'm on. After that I can forget it is tracking me until I end the round and get the results. The yardage seem to be spot on. I do somewhat miss having a club recommendation shown on my watch but a I've gotten used to thinking on my own though I wouldn't object to a them adding this feature. Otherwise I really like this technology so far.

• 1 year later...

I got the shot scope V3 today and it´s my first golf watch! Absolutely loved it its so much quicker then having to take up the binocular but if you want distance to the pin the gps can´t do that. But you can often calculate a bit from the front middle back numbers so I may just save weight and leave my range finder at home. Never the numbers felt wrong  the dual gps setup seem to do what it´s supposed to. Seems doubtful it´s possible to do 36 holes with it though. 18 should never be an issue though.

Btw any recommendations to make sure the shots are counted? They recommend a lot of practise swings but I don´t want to tire myself. Is it just putting the tag against the watch and it register I am using that club? Need I go silly on my wedges when I just want to chip the ball 😄 I made life hard on myself using a chipper. I am going to replace it so didn´t put a tag on it made for quite some editing. But it also appear to miss some other shots. 

1 hour ago, knott said:

Is it just putting the tag against the watch and it register I am using that club?

I have the V3 too, and it is a big improvement over the V2, which was a large and ungainly thing to wear on your wrist. Overall I think it is an okay system, but the statistics UI could use some enhancement.

I don't think the Shotscope watch works by tagging the club to the watch like other systems. The tags aren't powered, and I believe just use RFID chips. The watch has some sort of motion detecting electronics inside it (accelerometer or something), and when it detects the swinging motion, it identifies the club tag via the RFID chip. When it detects impact, it records the shot with the tagged club. So if you take a couple practice swings, it is more likely that the club will be tagged correctly.

I usually take no more than 2 practice swings before hitting the ball, and I find that mine misses maybe 2-3 shots per round, usually short game motions like chips/pitches. I keep score separately, so I edit in the missed shots afterward.

Sometimes it records an extra shot for some reason, maybe if I'm still holding the club that I just hit poorly and wack it on the ground in frustration after a bad shot or something (simulates impact).

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator
13 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I don't think the Shotscope watch works by tagging the club to the watch like other systems. The tags aren't powered, and I believe just use RFID chips. The watch has some sort of motion detecting electronics inside it (accelerometer or something), and when it detects the swinging motion, it identifies the club tag via the RFID chip. When it detects impact, it records the shot with the tagged club. So if you take a couple practice swings, it is more likely that the club will be tagged correctly.

Yes, that's why you have to wear the watch on your hand (and on your lead hand, IIRC) - so that the tag can be "close enough" to the watch for the shot to be recorded.

That's a non-starter for me, especially with the v2 watch. I wear my Apple Watch, and I'm not going to wear a much bulkier watch to play golf. If the watch could act like a tagging system, I could have attached it to my belt in some way, like GG, but it has to be on your wrist, basically.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

V2 did look monstruous. Never had it. V3 is same size as my motorola smart watch or most regular watches I owned. A tad thicker so that part is okay don´t feel obstructive. 
Maybe went overboard with the automation. I mean really cool idea just be able to walk along but yes hope I can find a procedure where it does constantly tag my clubs. I know they are working on new firmware to improve the odds. First round was over 90 % at least and putter system worked fine at automatic with pin collect.

Adding a manual mode where you select club before each shot or where you can see on the watch when a club is found and then shoot would be great. 
Also scorecard functionality so no need for paper and pen. Doesn´t seem like you can go back and see how many shots got registered.

was trying to choose between V2 and Game Golf and decided on Shot Scope so I could get GPS as well. I actually got one off a buddy but didn't like the bulkiness but when they announced V3 last January I pre-ordered.  I got it about 10 days ago and have 6 rounds on it. I think it's great so far, a few minor wrinkles for me with putting but I don't have hardly any missed shots.  I also got a new 3W this week and can already see the differences in dispersion and distance compared to the old one. I am finding it is really showing my areas that need work, as well as which clubs are more accurate for approaches etc and that is after only 6 rounds.  The data will give a much better idea of areas to focus on for me. I think it's going to be a great tool and a huge sellout.

I have had both V2 and V3 and recorded several rounds with both. The shot tracking has greatly improved with V3. With V2 I would regularly have to ad 5-6 shots per round and putting from the fairway/fringe was either no tracked or tracked as being on the green. V3 is much more accurate. The GPS location on the green for both putts and pin is still not perfect, but much better than V2. I am finding I only have to add one or two shots per round with V3. I wish the mobile app had the same detail as the online dashboard. However editing the round on the app is now much easier than before and I am starting to prefer it to editing online.

Overall, I highly recommend Shot Scope. The data is invaluable, and once they release strokes gained, it will be significantly greater value.

8 minutes ago, Sean_D said:

The data is invaluable, and once they release strokes gained, it will be significantly greater value.

Do you know if this is something they plan on adding? I have used the V2 and now V3, and the smaller watch is a huge improvement, so my biggest gripe is the lack of strokes gained on the user interface.

A few minor gripes:

The locking mechanism on the band of the watch doesn't seem to stay secure, and the little tab pops out. This has happened to me on V2 and V3 which both use similar buckle/locking systems.

The post-round editing of a missed shot for club selection can be frustrating if you have a lot of extra clubs in your bag. When using the drop down menu for the club, rather than have a useful description, you just see: Driver, Driver, Driver, Driver in different color codes, and sometimes I don't recall which club matches to the color.

Edited by Darkfrog

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Note: This thread is 1359 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!