IGNORED

Driver to iron gap

Note: This thread is 2438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello Sand Trap World,

I have been having issues with my bag setup, and am looking for a bit of advice regarding the gap between my driver and my 3 iron. I recently purchased a 3-P set of AP2s, and love them, and I previously gamed a ping G2 set 2-PW. Since they don't make an AP2 2-iron, and the set is a mite shorter than my old G2s,  I am left with an open spot in my bag (I carry 3 wedges 52*, 56*,60*), and a big yardage hole between my driver and my irons. I can hit my driver about 310 yards, and can lay off it to about 275 before it starts to launch uncomfortably low. I hit my old 2 iron about 250, so this gap worked out great, and I could avoid hitting fairway metals. However, my new 3 iron is a 220 yard club. Is there a new hybrid that plays like an iron I could put in this slot, does anyone have experience with the Titleist T-MB 2 iron? I'm thinking that may be a good compromise. Any advice would be great! 

Thanks, 

JR

Try the pong Crossover, it's pretty solid or go with the Tmb 2 iron.

PGA Class A member

MORAD advocate

Titleist club player

Is there a certain reason you are against fairway woods? That seems like the perfect spot for a 15-17 degree fairway wood, either a 3 wood or 5 wood since the 3 iron is 21 degrees. 

Typically you would have much more forgiveness with a fairway wood than you would with a 2 iron

Edited by klineka
  • Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, klineka said:

Is there a certain reason you are against fairway woods? That seems like the perfect spot for a 15-17 degree fairway wood, either a 3 wood or 5 wood since the 3 iron is 21 degrees. 

Typically you would have much more forgiveness with a fairway wood than you would with a 2 iron

I have always had trouble with fairway woods. Since I play in KS, and wind is almost always a big factor, I play a very low ball flight, and it keeps me out of trouble. Although 2-irons are unforgiving, when they are mishit it is generally short. I'm also relatively long, so they either only get hit off the tee, or on longer par 5s. So, with a 2 iron, instead of being high and in the prairie grass on a poorly struck ball, I generally get an unintended layup. 

@JRanderson32

Hell if you want a T-MB I'd say go for it.

Why not save some money and get a Mizuno MP-H5?

Have you considered a 1-iron loft? Since you said wind is a factor.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:05 PM, JRanderson32 said:

IHowever, my new 3 iron is a 220 yard club. Is there a new hybrid that plays like an iron I could put in this slot, does anyone have experience with the Titleist T-MB 2 iron? I'm thinking that may be a good compromise. Any advice would be great! 

Any of the cross-over type irons would work. I found the Ping Crossover to be a beast. It's a great replacement for those who like irons more than hybrids.

https://www.ping.com/clubs/crossovers.aspx

You might have to live with a big gap between your driver and irons. If you struggle with hybrids and fairway woods then you might be stuck if you do not like the more driving iron type clubs.

In the end, the longer hitters will have a larger gap. I have about 70-80 yards between my driver and my 3-iron. Yet, I love my Titleist hybrid and I have a 3-wood as well. I ask this, how often do you really use that 3 iron on the course? With your distance you should have to worry about hitting a hybrid or fairway wood much. 99% of the time I hit my 3-wood off the tee only.

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 8/7/2017 at 8:05 PM, JRanderson32 said:

Hello Sand Trap World,

I have been having issues with my bag setup, and am looking for a bit of advice regarding the gap between my driver and my 3 iron. I recently purchased a 3-P set of AP2s, and love them, and I previously gamed a ping G2 set 2-PW. Since they don't make an AP2 2-iron, and the set is a mite shorter than my old G2s,  I am left with an open spot in my bag (I carry 3 wedges 52*, 56*,60*), and a big yardage hole between my driver and my irons. I can hit my driver about 310 yards, and can lay off it to about 275 before it starts to launch uncomfortably low. I hit my old 2 iron about 250, so this gap worked out great, and I could avoid hitting fairway metals. However, my new 3 iron is a 220 yard club. Is there a new hybrid that plays like an iron I could put in this slot, does anyone have experience with the Titleist T-MB 2 iron? I'm thinking that may be a good compromise. Any advice would be great! 

Thanks, 

JR

I got the t-mb 716 to fill the gap between my 3 and driver. Not a big fan of fairway metals either. 

The weighting on it is very different atleast compared to my King tec 3 iron. Swing weight is different and cg is a tad higher, based on feel. Probably something you can get used to but it hasnt been a seamless fit to my existing set.

I used lead tape to get the swingweight up to match the rest of my set but cant do much about the cg. I would imagine it could be a better fit into a Titleist set?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2017 at 6:22 AM, saevel25 said:

Any of the cross-over type irons would work. I found the Ping Crossover to be a beast. It's a great replacement for those who like irons more than hybrids.

https://www.ping.com/clubs/crossovers.aspx

You might have to live with a big gap between your driver and irons. If you struggle with hybrids and fairway woods then you might be stuck if you do not like the more driving iron type clubs.

In the end, the longer hitters will have a larger gap. I have about 70-80 yards between my driver and my 3-iron. Yet, I love my Titleist hybrid and I have a 3-wood as well. I ask this, how often do you really use that 3 iron on the course? With your distance you should have to worry about hitting a hybrid or fairway wood much. 99% of the time I hit my 3-wood off the tee only.

I actually use my 3-iron a lot, but not necessarily because of its yardage, but I will frequently knock it down in windy situations. Also, The course I play has 2 fairway splits with a creek around the 240-270 mark, and a few short par 4s that make the 3 iron a smart play off the tee. 

Note: This thread is 2438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!