IGNORED

Adjust lie on woods and hybrids?

scotth
Note: This thread is 2430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I see tons written about adjusting the lie on irons up and down after being fitted, but rarely see anything about hybrids or woods.  I vaguely remember this being a thing in the mid 90's where club fitter would adjust lie on metal woods.  

Was recently fit for irons, and recommended to go plus an inch on length and + 3 on lie. Curious if I should be thinking about adjusting lie on woods or hybrids, or is this even a thing?

Edited by scotth

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, scotth said:

Curious if I should be thinking about adjusting lie on woods or hybrids, or is this even a thing?

I doubt you would be able to. I don't think it is possible to adjust the lie on modern woods/hybrids like you can on irons.

The best bet would be to try to find a wood/hybrid that is adjustable, and that the base specs are close to your fitting numbers. Then you can just use the adjustability to get it closer.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Some of the Adams hybrids with longer hosels could be adjusted a degree or two. They did it for my wife's hybrids.

But, this is something you would want factory techs to do; don't try it in your garage.

Also: If you buy component clubs, some FW heads are actually come off the fabrication line  a degree or two flatter or more upright than spec. For example, GolfWorks might be able to find you a head that's more upright or flat.

Saevel offers the most reliable approach:

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

The best bet would be to try to find a wood/hybrid that is adjustable, and that the base specs are close to your fitting numbers. Then you can just use the adjustability to get it closer.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Adjustable fairways and hybrids may have a setting - for a more upright lie angle. For example Callaway's "D" setting is more upright.

Hybrids for Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz also has a lie setting for adjustment.

Best to check with the OEM for non adjustable clubs.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 2 weeks later...

I would say I agree to a point.

In today's clubs some woods and hybrids are adjustable for lie. 

A very skilled clubmaker, I mean master clubmaker MAY be able to bend a bonded (epoxied) fairway wood or hybrid a couple degrees upright or flat. But the steel in today's fairway woods and hybrids is rigid and not very malluible (sp?). 

If your in dire need of upright fairways and hybrids, OEM may be able to make you a head that way, but expect to wait a while for it to arrive at your door step. 

It's not like the old days of wooden woods where they could just adjust it before they cut the shape of the club from the block of persimmon.

They would have make a mold of lets say your 3-wood with it 3° upright. 

It's not impossible to bend it... I know a retired Master Clubmaker, he has stated bending the lies of metal woods can be done, it takes a steady hand... And a ton of patience.

Which reminds me... Tom Wishon makes metal woods and hybrids with adjustable bendable hosels. That may be a route to go.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Hybrids are available with different lies.  My Apex Hybrids are 2 up.  They are available from 2 flat to 2 up.  No need to bend them.

Note: This thread is 2430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!