IGNORED

Hi from 1st year golfer

PaddyMac
Note: This thread is 2449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi I’m Paddy living in Ireland,  HC 22 and I’m delighted to be part of the site and as a first post I figured I’d put up something’s I wish someone had told me this time last year when starting.

Firstly go to a store buy the best clubs you can afford to begin with, but you do not need the latest, most expensive golf clubs on the market . Ask for a fitting, seek advice there based on Feel/ Looks/ budget all related to you. This will reduce the burning need to upgrade/change them a little later on. When you have the clubs picked, the fitter will match the shaft to your swing speed and the head of the club to your swing Loft / Lie (most important part of buying clubs is this fitting.)

Once bought, stop reading all the articles on newly released clubs claiming extra yards, more forgiveness, because Rory uses them etc. Only improving your swing will make you a better golfer. Clubs have not transformed that much in the last few years between manufacturers that would leave any one manufacturer the miles ahead as the new ultimate choice for beginners. Your clubs are fine.

Get a couple of lessons. Focus on stance/grip and 75 % swings. Learn drills for the swing. Look at YouTube videos (Do not bypass these fundamental videos to start looking at open faced lob shots/ power fades/ 320 yard drives etc.) The most important part of the swing happens before you even hit the ball. Remember at this stage you shouldn’t have ingrained many bad habits, it is easier to learn a good swing now at the beginning than try unlearn/change from a bad swing later on.

Practice as much as you can on quiet times on the course (where allowed) and work from putting backwards so start chipping and using the small clubs 9/PW/SW. When you do have a swing that’s fairly consistent and hitting most greens within 100 yards see what distance your hitting each of your longer mid clubs and build an idea of what club to use from 150 yards etc. Do not care what your friend uses at 150, just which club you have to use to get there. Break the longer holes down into 3 shots to the green. Use winter rules when practicing to start with and don’t keep score just focus on trying to get from the tee to the green within the fairway at all times. Play as much as you can with friends but do not listen to swing advice (unless there a PGA pro or swing coach).

Enjoy your new found sport, it will be a rollercoaster for you with both ups and downs as you progress or gain interest (develop an addiction lol). Remember your good shots, let go your bad ones (self loathing mistakes and creating muscle tension... does not make you play better, so why do it?)

Jones Carry Bag *** Titleist 975D 10.5  *** Wilson Staff FG Tour  4 - pw *** Callaway Mac Daddy 52 deg & 58 deg *** Nike Method Mod 90

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to the site, and the madness!  :beer:

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Hello @PaddyMac! Glad you're here. I'm sure you'll find this site to be a most pleasant experience! 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

7 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

From your first post, I figure you have it wired pretty tight! Good luck to you!

Thanks for the welcome

7 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

From your first post, I figure you have it wired pretty tight! Good luck to you!

Thanks for the welcome... ha ha I did say that that was what I wished someone had told me 1 year ago when I started, unfortunately I learnt all this the hard way... cheers

7 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Welcome.

Thanks for the welcome

7 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Welcome @PaddyMac.

Thanks for the welcome

Jones Carry Bag *** Titleist 975D 10.5  *** Wilson Staff FG Tour  4 - pw *** Callaway Mac Daddy 52 deg & 58 deg *** Nike Method Mod 90

Note: This thread is 2449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!