IGNORED

What kind of Amateur tournament?

WUTiger
Note: This thread is 2436 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pick your season-ending tournament  

14 members have voted

1. 1. The summer is coming to a close, and many TSTers are feeling good about their game. They want to test their skill against other amateurs in the area. So tell me, what's your ideal format for summer-ending tournament?

• 18 Holes - You're hot or you're not.
    • 36 Holes - You get a chance to get the feel of the course.
    • 54 Holes - What better reason to take Friday off?
    • 72 Holes - If we're calling it a tournament, let's have one.
    • Bracket match play. - One bad hole doesn't knock you out.

It's getting near the end of summer, and many people are feeling good about their golf game. They want to test it out competitively. So, what would be your ideal type of tournament to cap off the season?

18 holes, 36 holes, 54 holes, 72 holes, or a bracket match play?

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am playing in a 54 hole Pro/Am this weekend.  Practice round tomorrow followed by guaranteed 18 holes Friday and Saturday and if I make the cut, 18 more Sunday.  It is a blast playing a weekend tournament like this and I wish their were more in the area.

All of the above?  Just finished getting knocked out of my club's match play, playing in a 18-hole 36 man stableford on Saturday, our 36-hole stroke play club championship is in another 2 weeks, and our 54 hole member/member is in October.  I love this time of year! :-) 

If I have to choose just one, I'd probably go with the better ball team format over 6 9-hole matches.  It's a blast, and fun to play the entire tournament with a buddy.  For individual play, I'll take match play every time.  Stroke play, especially longer tournaments is brutal!  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I voted for all of them. Any time you are confident enough for any kind of individual tournament golf - do it. Personally, i don't care about the format. I get the high simply from the competition.

But i find 72 hole tournaments and 36 with bracket match play after to be mentally and physically exhausting, even though the thought of them is awesome. 54 holes medal play seems to be a butter zone for me. Ive done my best in that format. 

Love 72 hole scratch tournaments. I have 2 on november.
I´m a Conservative player so this kind of tournament benefits me.

I voted for them all as well.  I'm playing in  several season ending tournaments (even before the Newport Cup), both stroke, fourball, foursomes, match play and even a couple of scrambles.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

3 hours ago, WUTiger said:

It's getting near the end of summer, and many people are feeling good about their golf game. They want to test it out competitively. So, what would be your ideal type of tournament to cap off the season?

18 holes, 36 holes, 54 holes, 72 holes, or a bracket match play?

My Club Championship is this weekend, Fri-Sun - 54 holes.  It used to be 72 holes over 2 weekends, but the club and the course had to compromise on a better plan, as the public was complaining about losing access to the course for 2 successive weekends (the course is managed by the Foothills Recreation District and the district is partly supported by property taxes).  It works out okay as a 54 hole tournament, and only a few old farts like me even remember the 72 hole format.  Most of the current membership has never known anything different.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Our club's year ending 54 hole stroke play tournament is next week.  This past weekend was our City's 36 hole Senior Championship (T26 out of a field of 102).  After Labor Day there is nothing until the Newport Cup.

Brian Kuehn

So far, three of seven respondents like all four formats. Real golf road warriors!

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 2436 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!