IGNORED

Music on the Course - When Did This Become a Thing?

wedge player
Note: This thread is 1066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was at a club playing with friends for father's day last weekend and some younger men rolled by with music blaring out of a cart. I thought it was odd. It was loud enough to hear from 30-40 yds away. Though I can see how music could help drown out other distracting noises. I'd give it a  whirl but I like to hear the sounds of the course, birds, water, wind though the trees etc. Part of the allure for me is being outside.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't like it in my group but I don't let it get to me. Last weekend though, there were some hillbillies ahead of us having a hootenanny. Getting boozed up, hooting and hollering, blaring country, playing extremely slow, way behind the group ahead of them, and causing a traffic jam. But the course we were at doesn't care, you pay, you play, and they don't turn anyone away no matter how busy they are. Which is why I go there about once every 10 years.

But if you're moving along and I can faintly here it, whatever.

Driver: Taylormade R11 Aldila NV 75

4W: Taylormade R9

3/4H: Taylormade Burner 19* 22*

5-AW: Taylormade RBZ

W: Cleveland Tour Action 588 56* 60*

Putter: Callaway White Ice 2 Ball Lined

I dont prefer it, and if other groups can't hear it then knock yourself out. Personally golf is my chance to unplug. I listen to my Ipod alot at work and my time on the course I like to hear the sounds of the course.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

I dont prefer it, and if other groups can't hear it then knock yourself out. Personally golf is my chance to unplug. I listen to my Ipod alot at work and my time on the course I like to hear the sounds of the course.

Yup. When I do any recreating, I prefer to immerse myself in the recreation, and not into music. Conversely, when I listen to or make music, I prefer to not be doing anything else..

dak4n6

I was gonna bring my ipod to the course with me yesterday but thought better of it... only reason is the concern for communication. If someone is yelling "four" and I'm in lala land listening to whatever, it could make for an awkward moment.

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

The reason is that on a golf course, sound carries. If you can hear someone hitting a golf ball in the other fairway any music just at an enjoyable level around your group, would carry. If that music is hear by at least one other person than in your group, you are being a disturbance to other people. Also there is a chance you might forget to turn it down, that in itself is enough reason not to even try it. Because messing up someone's tee shot, or someone's putt could seriously ruin that person's day. What if you accidently mess up someones first birdie or eagle putt ever, or a putt on the 18th green for there personal best record. I'm sorry if i am sounding strict, but bringing something that obviously doesn't belong on the golf course, just because it might be enjoyed by one group, has the potential to interfere with other groups, even if you try not to is to much of a risk in my opinion. Like i said, if i am playing a group near them and i hear a radio or music on i would call the golf course. Its just not about my game, its about everyone else as well. Its just being considerate. I don't mind headphones because those would not effect someone else. To me i rather be considerate of other's over having music on the golf course.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

The reason is that on a golf course, sound carries. If you can hear someone hitting a golf ball in the other fairway any music just at an enjoyable level around your group, would carry. If that music is hear by at least one other person than in your group, you are being a disturbance to other people. Also there is a chance you might forget to turn it down, that in itself is enough reason not to even try it. Because messing up someone's tee shot, or someone's putt could seriously ruin that person's day. What if you accidently mess up someones first birdie or eagle putt ever, or a putt on the 18th green for there personal best record. I'm sorry if i am sounding strict, but bringing something that obviously doesn't belong on the golf course, just because it might be enjoyed by one group, has the potential to interfere with other groups, even if you try not to is to much of a risk in my opinion. Like i said, if i am playing a group near them and i hear a radio or music on i would call the golf course. Its just not about my game, its about everyone else as well. Its just being considerate. I don't mind headphones because those would not effect someone else. To me i rather be considerate of other's over having music on the golf course.

Very well said.  I'm just glad to hear I'm not the only one on the course who actually has respect for other players.  I can't say I don't bring my phone on the course, but A) you'll never see me on it and B) it's always set to silent.  Music?  I'd never even think of playing music on the course.  I can't imagine anyone that I play golf with would do so either.

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

Actually, I hate it.  Speaking as a musician, I don't see how anybody can listen to music all day, but that's beside the point.  I can see PLAYING music all day, but I don't want to see people carrying guitars with them out there, either.  One of the attractions of golf is escaping noise pollution for a while.  If I want to listen to bad music, all I have to do is go to the grocery store.  Hearing a radio on the course lowers to whole tone of the experience, even if it's somebody keeping up with a ballgame.  And unless you're on call for work, I don't want to hear anybody talking on a cellphone, either.  But then, I also hate golf carts, so I'm just an old curmudgeon.  Feel free to ignore my grumbling.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

Originally Posted by saevel25

To me i rather be considerate of other's

It is my opinion that snitching on a group that isn't bothering others by playing music is being inconsiderate of those persons who are taking time out of their day, and paying their hard earned money, to enjoy the course just as much as you are.

Most ipod speakers are no louder than the stopping or starting sounds of a cart.  Get over yourself on this one and admit you are wrong.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

If Im not in your group and its loud enough that I can hear it at all, Id call the clubhouse and complain too.  Why?  Because I can.  Why do you NEED to listen to music out on the course?  Golf for me is a time to get away from all the annoyances of daily life and I dont want to listen to background music, even if its music I may happen to like.  Seriously, if you need music to help pass the time on the course, maybe golf isnt for you and you should take up fishing or something.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by MrSandman

It is my opinion that snitching on a group that isn't bothering others by playing music is being inconsiderate of those persons who are taking time out of their day, and paying their hard earned money, to enjoy the course just as much as you are.

Most ipod speakers are no louder than the stopping or starting sounds of a cart.  Get over yourself on this one and admit you are wrong.

Like I said before, it doesn't bother me but I would prefer to not have it. It is a bit presumptive to assume though that it doesn't bother other people. Clearly it does. It has become a trend this year I have noticed.

Everyone does pay the same amount and takes the same time but the "norm" is no music and that would be a battle never won with the clubhouse. Sure there are things as loud if not louder at the course, but me being forced to listen to Kanye West (not the point who, but this instance was Kanye) a few weeks ago is a little different than a braking cart.

the "norm" is not to complain about this.  I've never heard of anyone ever getting in trouble for listening to music on the golf course.

rangers these days don't do crap anyway.  So your phone call to the clubhouse wouldn't accomplish anything anyway.  All you are doing is getting aggravated and worked up over something that shouldn't be bothering you.  (and don't say you are not getting aggravated or worked up, the fact that you call the clubhouse proves that you are)

music on the course, so long as listened to responsibly, is perfectly acceptable.  People who complain should be shown the door and/or go spend some money on a private course that has a no muic policy.  If you are too cheap for a private course, or too poor, then you cannot complain about what others are doing.  Or, I guess you can complain, but your complaint will fall on deaf ears.

What's in the bag
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Originally Posted by Remark37

Like I said before, it doesn't bother me but I would prefer to not have it. It is a bit presumptive to assume though that it doesn't bother other people. Clearly it does. It has become a trend this year I have noticed.

Everyone does pay the same amount and takes the same time but the "norm" is no music and that would be a battle never won with the clubhouse. Sure there are things as loud if not louder at the course, but me being forced to listen to Kanye West (not the point who, but this instance was Kanye) a few weeks ago is a little different than a braking cart.

Exactly.  Its funny how some people think that just because they paid their money to play that they can do whatever they want.

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Music is a violation of our personal privacy!

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

the "norm" is not to complain about this.  I've never heard of anyone ever getting in trouble for listening to music on the golf course.

rangers these days don't do crap anyway.  So your phone call to the clubhouse wouldn't accomplish anything anyway.  All you are doing is getting aggravated and worked up over something that shouldn't be bothering you.  (and don't say you are not getting aggravated or worked up, the fact that you call the clubhouse proves that you are)

music on the course, so long as listened to responsibly, is perfectly acceptable.  People who complain should be shown the door and/or go spend some money on a private course that has a no muic policy.  If you are too cheap for a private course, or too poor, then you cannot complain about what others are doing.  Or, I guess you can complain, but your complaint will fall on deaf ears.

Sounds like now youre the one who needs to get over yourself and admit that youre wrong. LOL

Sorry, but you are wrong.

Music on the course is just as acceptable as talking.

If you don't like music on the course, then save your pennies and join a private course that doesn't allow it.  But as long as you are poor and/or cheap, you will learn that I am correct and that the pro shop/rangers don't give a damn.

What's in the bag

Unless you're referring to the other person but commenting on mine, you are wrong. Did you not read? I don't, I have never complained to the course. I just said I would prefer not to listen to it. I agree rangers don't do anything, at least from what I've seen. Occasionally speed up play, but that's very occasionally.

I wouldn't say it is acceptable as much as tolerated. But if you are being responsible, I shouldn't hear it anyway, so once again, moot point. And I wouldn't agree that the person complaining about the music should be shown the door as much as the person playing it. I think neither should be kicked out as much as asked to turn down or off the music.

And the assumption that someone is too cheap or poor (which I am neither, just don't want to listen to it) is absurd. We all pay the same and abide by the course rules. It just seems that you are being selfish and not caring what others think despite asking their opinion.

Note: This thread is 1066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!