IGNORED

Tweaked Grip: Reduced Dominant Hand By Modifying Furyk's Technique

mig
Note: This thread is 2433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To the extent those of you with overly active hands can sometime fight the hooks, I have been tinkering and really like the idea of taking what Furyk does and modifying it just a bit so that the hands do not disconnect.  I tried working on his pure double overlap grip -- but found that the bottom hand (my right hand because I am a righty) kept getting disconnected especially through impact and did not impart a solid, confident feeling.  I made a slight modification to that Furyk double overlap and inserted a small interlocking of the tip of the left index tip and that seems to have worked perfectly as a happy medium between the traditional interlock (which for my gets my right hand far too much underneath the club and causes a closed club face that I am constantly fighting).

To briefly describe it:

>right pinky tip overlapped and kind of Hogan hooked over and around the left middle finger's middle knuckle  (stretched over that finger like Furyk does but hooked around the knuckle like Hogan)

>place the left index finger's tip in the webbing between the right pinky and middle fingers

>keeping both of those pieces of the grip in place, bring the right ring finger over and hook the tip of that right ring finger around the left index finger's middle knuckle

• Administrator
1 hour ago, mig said:

>place the left index finger's tip in the webbing between the right pinky and middle fingers

I think you meant ring finger, not pinkie.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, unless he's missing his ring finger! We don't want to be insensitive to the digitally inconvenienced!

I had a similar experience recently, just not as extreme as this. I somehow got the idea that "narrowing my V's" was of vital importance. Following this line of thinking, eventually my game suffered. The other day while playing, I noticed that in a practice swing, while my left hand V was still narrow, my right hand V was quite open. Like when holding a pistol.

So, I tried hitting some shots with that grip, and wow! Suddenly I'm hitting the ball on the button, with better direction and distance! I use the standard Vardon grip.

Who knows? This may be a temporary "feel" thing, Or, it might be something I screwed up on, and should correct permanently! Further research is necessary!

10 hours ago, mig said:

To the extent those of you with overly active hands can sometime fight the hooks, I have been tinkering and really like the idea of taking what Furyk does and modifying it just a bit so that the hands do not disconnect.  I tried working on his pure double overlap grip -- but found that the bottom hand (my right hand because I am a righty) kept getting disconnected especially through impact and did not impart a solid, confident feeling.  I made a slight modification to that Furyk double overlap and inserted a small interlocking of the tip of the left index tip and that seems to have worked perfectly as a happy medium between the traditional interlock (which for my gets my right hand far too much underneath the club and causes a closed club face that I am constantly fighting).

To briefly describe it:

>right pinky tip overlapped and kind of Hogan hooked over and around the left middle finger's middle knuckle  (stretched over that finger like Furyk does but hooked around the knuckle like Hogan)

>keeping both of those pieces of the grip in place, bring the right ring finger over and hook the tip of that right ring finger around the left index finger's middle knuckle

Oh jeez....left handed conversion and an error....my head hurts.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

22 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Well, unless he's missing his ring finger! We don't want to be insensitive to the digitally inconvenienced!

I had a similar experience recently, just not as extreme as this. I somehow got the idea that "narrowing my V's" was of vital importance. Following this line of thinking, eventually my game suffered. The other day while playing, I noticed that in a practice swing, while my left hand V was still narrow, my right hand V was quite open. Like when holding a pistol.

So, I tried hitting some shots with that grip, and wow! Suddenly I'm hitting the ball on the button, with better direction and distance! I use the standard Vardon grip.

Who knows? This may be a temporary "feel" thing, Or, it might be something I screwed up on, and should correct permanently! Further research is necessary!

I'm entirely the opposite. I like what @mvmac says in the commonalities of a functional grip thread so I've been playing with a long lead thumb on the left hand which sort of forces a fatter V. Then with the right hand thumb I used to have too much thumb in contact with the grip so I switched to his recommendation of only the upper right portion of the trail thumb in contact with the grip which again forces a slightly fatter V.

Edit: I guess not the opposite of what you are finding is helping you but the opposite of what you mentioned you thought was important.

Edited by Grizvok

Note: This thread is 2433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!