IGNORED

TaylorMade M2 irons

TN94z
Note: This thread is 2171 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing Mizuno MP32 irons for quite a few years now. Over the weekend and bought two spots in a raffle for 20.00 and won a set of 5-pw M2s! I have never even looked at these in the stores. Keeping in mind that I don't like a thick top line on my irons or a lot of offset and I have been used to playing more of muscle back/blade in the MP32s, what are the chances I will like these? I'm hoping with them being in the game improvement category, I will actually find them pretty easy to hit well. But we will see. They are supposed to be here Monday.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have hit them numerous times both in the store and on the course, my buddy has a set of the 2016 M2s, and I like them. They are very forgiving, by far the most forgiving irons I have ever hit and have a very nice sound to them when you flush it. Thats a great deal for only having to spend $20 congrats!!

It might take you a bit to get the distances dialed in, the lofts are quite a bit stronger on the M2 compared to your MP32s so the the M2s will go a bit further, at least one club further, the M2 5 iron has basically the same loft as your 3 iron, and the M2 PW is now basically the same loft as your current 9 iron.

Here is a quick screen grab comparing the lofts, 2017 M2 irons on the left, the MP32 on the right59b28e18e3d0a_ironlofts.thumb.png.9d8edd946917d87124034225c02b8f52.png

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I am actually pretty curious about the difference in distance. It will be interesting for sure. Thanks for the loft comparisons

Bryan A

First, play with them a couple rounds to get used to them.  Then play a dozen rounds with your new M2s and your blades, alternating.  Take notes and report back here with your notes and scores for a great SGI vs blades comparison.

3 hours ago, allenc said:

First, play with them a couple rounds to get used to them.  Then play a dozen rounds with your new M2s and your blades, alternating.  Take notes and report back here with your notes and scores for a great SGI vs blades comparison.

Will do. I was planning on updating the thread with a comparison of the two.

Bryan A

I remember looking at these before I bought my second set of Mizunos. 

What kind of player are you? Do you seek distance over feel? 

The M2s were the longest irons I tried. They were less costly than the Mizunos, the shop had a small discount on the TMand they were quite forgiving YET.. I paid quite a bit more and bought the Mizunos. 

I do not considered myself a good golfer. As of matter of fact, my swing sucks a little more than before.haha..but if there is one thing that keeps me a high handicapper coming back to golf, is the feel and the mute sound of a well stroke Mizuno iron. The ones I have are forgiving and long enough for my game. 

TM M2s did not fill the gap of enjoyment despite the impressive distance. 

Don't get me wrong, if I was to win a set of clubs I would probably like them more than if I would have bought them and perhaps keep them for the range and second rounds. 

I would be curious to see your take on the TM after you get them. 

Congrats on the win. 

4 minutes ago, Hategolf said:

I remember looking at these before I bought my second set of Mizunos. 

What kind of player are you? Do you seek distance over feel? 

The M2s were the longest irons I tried. They were less costly than the Mizunos, the shop had a small discount on the TMand they were quite forgiving YET.. I paid quite a bit more and bought the Mizunos. 

I do not considered myself a good golfer. As of matter of fact, my swing sucks a little more than before.haha..but if there is one thing that keeps me a high handicapper coming back to golf, is the feel and the mute sound of a well stroke Mizuno iron. The ones I have are forgiving and long enough for my game. 

Don't get me wrong, if I was to win a set of clubs I would probably like them more than if I would have bought them and perhaps keep them for the range and second rounds. 

I would be curious to see your take on the TM after you get them. 

Congrats on the win. 

I don't really care about distance in my irons that much (I mean, I care but I'm not out there seeking more distance). I feel I have pretty good distance right now even with some swing flaws I have going on. I love my mizunos as I have played them for many years now. If I were to go out and buy a set new, the M2s wouldn't be anywhere near the top of the list if I were to just sit down and write out what clubs I would like to try. BUT...I will try them since I got them cheap and who knows...I may really like them. I will for sure let you guys know my thoughts once I have played some rounds with them. 

Bryan A

I made a mistake a few years ago bye getting rid of the clubs that grooved my original swing and with which I played the lowest rounds of my life. I now have beautiful Mizunos and I am slowly coming back to that level as I have only come back to golf within the last several months. But I wonder sometimes what would have happened if I had just kept the ones I had. I think I changed clubs because I was looking for a more modern club and more distance. I'm not regretting my Mizunos at all. Just wondering. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I'll never get rid of the mizunos. Even if I start playing the m2's, I'll still have the mizunos..lol. 

Bryan A

8 hours ago, TN94z said:

I'll never get rid of the mizunos. Even if I start playing the m2's, I'll still have the mizunos..lol. 

Right! I was talking about my old cult classic Cleveland TA-5's. Have not tried Mizuno MP series except a couple of wedges that I love. I now have Mizuno GI, SGI sets...MX200 forged, MX100 and the JPX-800HD's I'm playing now. I have a lot of confidence that I will shortly be back in the 80's with these clubs. I have heard great things about the TM M2's from friends. Best wishes in your envious circumstance. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

i play mizen blades as well, and I absolutely hate the M2 irons. this is just my opinion. I would recommend you sell those and upgrade to a new set of mizuno blades because nothing "FEELS" better then a grain flow forged mizuno irons aka samurai swords.  

If you aren't going to play on a regular basis, stick with the M2 irons. To me anything other then a traditional looking players club looks disgusting. hate the top line, offset, etc... I call them shovels.

Just my opinion, so you have a free set of clubs. you can play with them or sell them and pay less for a better set of irons.

good luck

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

4 hours ago, RickPro said:

i play mizen blades as well, and I absolutely hate the M2 irons. this is just my opinion. I would recommend you sell those and upgrade to a new set of mizuno blades because nothing "FEELS" better then a grain flow forged mizuno irons aka samurai swords.  

If you aren't going to play on a regular basis, stick with the M2 irons. To me anything other then a traditional looking players club looks disgusting. hate the top line, offset, etc... I call them shovels.

Just my opinion, so you have a free set of clubs. you can play with them or sell them and pay less for a better set of irons.

good luck

Absolutely the plan. I'm going to give them quite a few rounds before I determine whether I want to keep them or not. If not, I'll sell and buy something else. I'll try many sets though. I'm really liking the Titleist APs but haven't hit anything recently. 

Bryan A

On 9/7/2017 at 5:11 PM, TN94z said:

I have been playing Mizuno MP32 irons for quite a few years now. Over the weekend and bought two spots in a raffle for 20.00 and won a set of 5-pw M2s! I have never even looked at these in the stores. Keeping in mind that I don't like a thick top line on my irons or a lot of offset and I have been used to playing more of muscle back/blade in the MP32s, what are the chances I will like these? I'm hoping with them being in the game improvement category, I will actually find them pretty easy to hit well. But we will see. They are supposed to be here Monday.

You'll hate them, I'll send you the $40 u put out AND a sleeve of Kirklands for them. LOL!

Edited by Typhoon92

On 9/8/2017 at 2:29 PM, Hategolf said:

As others have noted, M2's may have the most jacked up lofts on the market today, so any extra distance is basically due to loft, not club design. Most 7 irons are 30-34 degrees these days, the M2 is 28.5. I didn't care for how the M2 felt anyway, but I'd never buy them with those lofts - dishonest IMO. YMMV

Edited by Midpack

17 hours ago, Midpack said:

As others have noted, M2's may have the most jacked up lofts on the market today, so any extra distance is basically due to loft, not club design. Most 7 irons are 30-34 degrees these days, the M2 is 28.5. I didn't care for how the M2 felt anyway, but I'd never buy them with those lofts - dishonest IMO. YMMV

Why do you think it is dishonest? Making stronger lofts has no affect on how far each individual club will go. The 30 degree loft club will still go xxx yards, regardless of what arbitrary number is stamped on the bottom of it.  All that it means is that an M2 8 iron will go as far as an older or "typical" 7 iron... so what?

They aren't lying or being dishonest. An M2 7 iron will go further than your 7 iron, all else equal. For some golfers, all they care about is hitting a specific club further than their buddies.

I find it interesting that you wouldnt buy a specific set of clubs because of the lofts, they still have the typical 3-5 degree loft separation between clubs, so that means your gapping should be almost identical between clubs, the only difference would be you would reach for an 8 iron instead of a 7 iron when you are at your normal 7 iron distance. Would only take a couple range sessions and a round or 2 to have a pretty good idea of the new distances for club selection. Seems like a silly reason to automatically discredit and not want to buy a set of irons IMO. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

21 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

You'll hate them, I'll send you the $40 u put out AND a sleeve of Kirklands for them. LOL!

Haha!  I hear you.

18 hours ago, Midpack said:

I don't consider it dishonest when they post the lofts where everyone can see and it's not like they are breaking any rules. I'll hit them and see how they feel. They are supposed to be here today.

Bryan A

21 hours ago, Midpack said:

Do they have the length of a 5i as well? The loft is higher, but the length is not significantly longer? It might even have the same flight with a hotter face?

M2 specs in the chart immediately below.

CLUB 4 5 6 7 8 9 PW AW SW LW
LOFT 19° 21.5° 25° 28.5° 33° 38° 43.5° 49° 54° 59°
LIE 61.5° 62° 62.5° 63° 63.5° 64° 64.5° 64.5° 64.5° 64.5°
OFFSET 5.8mm 5.2mm 4.7mm 4.2mm 3.5mm 3.0mm 2.6mm 2.2mm 1.5mm 1.5mm
LENGTH 38.88" 38.25" 37.63" 37.00" 36.50" 36.00" 35.50" 35.50" 35.25" 35.25"
SWING WEIGHT D2 D2 D2 D2 D2 D2 D2 D2 D3 D3

The length is only 0.25" longer than my Ping i20 below.

Club Length Loft Lie Offset Bounce Swing Weight
3-Iron 38 3/4" 21.0° 59.3° 0.24" 4.0° D0
4-Iron 38 1/4" 24.0° 60.0° 0.20" 5.0° D0
5-Iron 37 3/4" 27.0° 60.8° 0.17" 6.0° D0
6-Iron 37 1/4" 30.0° 61.5° 0.13" 7.0° D0
7-Iron 36 3/4" 33.0° 62.3° 0.10" 8.0° D0
8-Iron 36 1/4" 37.0° 63.0° 0.08" 9.0° D0
9-Iron 35 3/4" 41.0° 63.8° 0.06" 10.0° D0
Pitching Wedge 35 1/2" 46.0° 64.0° 0.05" 12.0° D2
Utility Wedge 35 1/2" 50.0° 64.0° 0.04" 13.0° D2
Sand Wedge 35 1/4" 54.0° 64.3° 0.04" 14.0° D4
Lob Wedge 35" 58.0° 64.5° 0.03" 13.0° D6

For reference, here are the MP32:

Mizuno | MP-32
Year: 2006

Iron
PW
W2
GW
SW
S2
S3
LW
Loft(°)
-
-
-
-
-
-
Lie(°)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Length(")
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Offset
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Bounce
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I have a set of the 2016 version with the Reax standard shaft in stiff.

If you hit them well, they are high and long. I was having trouble with my old irons, and these are probably 1.5 to 2 clubs longer-on a good strike.

I am having iron trouble right now, but they don't seem particularly forgiving--that statement qualified by the first part of this sentence. My good shots are pretty good, but my bad shots are beyond forgiveness right now.

For what its worth, if they don't get a lot better in the next couple of weeks, I am likely trading for Titleist 718 AP1's. I know it's the indian not the arrow.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 2171 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!