IGNORED

Suggestions for Golf Fitness Exercises

Chris4
Note: This thread is 2089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey everyone!  I am new to TST and looking for suggestions for new golf fitness exerciseses.  Particularly looking for great core exercises, anti-rotation exercises and overall just good suggestions.  What are your favorites?

Yoga for stretching, running or swimming for cardio and squats for core strengthening.  Generally, I do running/swimming 5 days out of the week and lifting 3-4 times a week and yoga once or twice a week.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/22/2017 at 9:53 AM, Chris4 said:

Hey everyone!  I am new to TST and looking for suggestions for new golf fitness exerciseses.  Particularly looking for great core exercises, anti-rotation exercises and overall just good suggestions.  What are your favorites?

I will be posting some next week sometime. I have been in the Fitness business for 20 years. These will include 3 levels for beginners, intermediate and Advanced so you can work your way up. I will also include some easy warm up drills. watch for my posts  "Ten minutes to better golf "  check out my ten minutes to pain free golf in the meantime

• 2 months later...

Resistance Bands Circuit strength 3x10. Three days a week.

Elliptical Machine three days a week. 20 mins

Walk-run intervals on the treadmill Two days a week. 15 mins

10 mins of stretching after each workout.

Try this beginners fitness workout for four to six weeks. You will be addressing the Components of health related fitness. 

Edited by kenhockey2

Wish I could get motivated to do this, I've found these two sights that don't require a lot of special equipment:

https://furthermore.equinox.com/articles/2017/08/golf-workout?slide=6

https://furthermore.equinox.com/articles/2017/08/golf-flexibility

Edit: ahhh, just noticed this is old and Chris probably doesn't care, oh well, maybe it will help someone else.

Edited by Pardner

Bruce

1 hour ago, Pardner said:

Wish I could get motivated to do this, I've found these two sights that don't require a lot of special equipment:

Edit: ahhh, just noticed this is old and Chris probably doesn't care, oh well, maybe it will help someone else.

Your post has merit.   Don't make the assumption that it isn't relevant because a previous post is old.  Years from now somebody will find this and thank you for the information.    

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Golf warm up routine before playing a round of golf.

15 mins elliptical machine.

Dumbbell Power Clean and press. 3 sets of 6-8 reps. Last set performed at 30-40 % of your 1RPM.

10 mins of golf related stretches. 

Go to the golf course and begin your putting, chipping, and range work. I spend about 20 mins

I like doing resistance training either with  low tension resistance bands or light dumbbells to warm up my body before playing golf. I looked at other warm up methods, golf active stretching movements. They did not appeal to me. I dont have muscle fatigue. However, I do encounter everyday stress at work and at home. Golf and fitness workouts are my ways to relieve stress. I could always go to Happy Hour after work. I will stick to golf and fitness workouts. 

What is your warm up routine before playing a round of golf? Please share.

Since I do Yoga 4 times a week, my muscles are already lengthened out so I do not have to worry about stretching.

Before my round of golf, I prepare my muscles by bringing the club behind my back capturing it with my arms and simulating the golf swing but with very slow focused movements, holding on the back swing and holding on the follow through  then I increase the speed slightly  and then a little more as I warm up the muscles.

When I feel they are sufficiently warm, I always hit a small bucket of balls. I begin with maybe a 5 iron the work up to a driver where I hit the most shots. I then move down to the shorter clubs and end with some chipping and putting

On 12/7/2017 at 6:58 AM, Pardner said:

2 minutes ago, JCrane said:

Since I do Yoga 4 times a week, my muscles are already lengthened out so I do not have to worry about stretching.

Before my round of golf, I prepare my muscles by bringing the club behind my back capturing it with my arms and simulating the golf swing but with very slow focused movements, holding on the back swing and holding on the follow through  then I increase the speed slightly  and then a little more as I warm up the muscles.

When I feel they are sufficiently warm, I always hit a small bucket of balls. I begin with maybe a 5 iron the work up to a driver where I hit the most shots. I then move down to the shorter clubs and end with some chipping and putting

2 minutes ago, JCrane said:

3 minutes ago, JCrane said:

some of those exercises are based on Yoga moves, the weights in my opinion isolate the muscles from the rest of the body, but with that said, I would suggest getting in a class. That way you have a group to support you and you can support them to motivate each other in your common goal.  

On 9/22/2017 at 12:53 PM, Chris4 said:

Why this?

I would focus on stability + flexibility more than power. .

Improving how stable and flexible your hips are can help you with a lot of the dynamic movements in the swing.

As for flexibility, I would look at flexibility in the quads, hamstrings, and gluts. This will help keep pressure off the back. Leg and hip tightness can pull down on the back and cause issues.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

4 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Why this?

I would focus on stability + flexibility more than power. .

Improving how stable and flexible your hips are can help you with a lot of the dynamic movements in the swing.

As for flexibility, I would look at flexibility in the quads, hamstrings, and gluts. This will help keep pressure off the back. Leg and hip tightness can pull down on the back and cause issues.

actually those suggestions are good even if you do not play golf

7 minutes ago, JCrane said:

actually those suggestions are good even if you do not play golf

True, but generally I would recommend a full body workout for non-golfers. I think golfers could get away with being a tad more specific.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!