IGNORED

Should I get fitted?

Old Golfer
Note: This thread is 2407 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would like to know if I should get a static golf fitting. I had started learning how to play golf about 8 years ago. I played a few rounds and then stopped to pursue another sport. I recently decided to get serious about golf. I bought a set of Wilson Staff D200 and a couple of Cleveland wedges. 

My question is this. Should I get a static fitting and if so, from where? I don't have a swing yet and I have not been out to the range or played any rounds as of yet. I'm building my swing from the ground up. I live in Queens, NY. 

Yes, a static fitting will be very useful at this point in your development. That's basically measuring yor wrist to floor and lie angle.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, Old Golfer said:

My question is this. Should I get a static fitting and if so, from where? I don't have a swing yet and I have not been out to the range or played any rounds as of yet. I'm building my swing from the ground up. I live in Queens, NY. 

Yes, you do have a swing, its impossible to golf without a swing. I think what you mean is that your swing will change over time so you are unsure if you should get fit.

Regardless, YES you should get fit. Personally I have only been fit for a driver by a Taylormade Rep but it really opened my eyes to how much of a difference different shafts can make. Different ball flights and spin numbers were coming off different shafts and I was hitting 5+ shots with each shaft to get a decent average. I gained over 10 yards of carry distance from my previous driver.

I am in the middle of swing changes as well, but I have gained so much confidence standing over the ball knowing that my driver is fit specifically for me

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

5 hours ago, wakefield724 said:

Are you tall, short, average height?

Short. 5'7"

1 minute ago, klineka said:

Yes, you do have a swing, its impossible to golf without a swing. I think what you mean is that your swing will change over time so you are unsure if you should get fit.

Regardless, YES you should get fit. Personally I have only been fit for a driver by a Taylormade Rep but it really opened my eyes to how much of a difference different shafts can make. Different ball flights and spin numbers were coming off different shafts and I was hitting 5+ shots with each shaft to get a decent average. I gained over 10 yards of carry distance from my previous driver.

I am in the middle of swing changes as well, but I have gained so much confidence standing over the ball knowing that my driver is fit specifically for me

Thanks

30 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Yes, a static fitting will be very useful at this point in your development. That's basically measuring yor wrist to floor and lie angle.

Thanks. I live in Queens, NY. I'm going to see who does static golf fitting. 

21 minutes ago, Old Golfer said:

Short. 5'7"

Thanks

Thanks. I live in Queens, NY. I'm going to see who does static golf fitting. 

If you can't find anyone you can do it yourself as well. You just need a yard/meter stick.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

IF you're planning on buying new clubs, irons, metals or a whole set - why would you NOT go for a fitting? Many clubmakers offer a variety of shafts (beyond just flex) along with loft, lie, length and grip size at no extra charge nowadays, and many big chains offer fitting for free if you buy clubs from them. There is more to shafts than just flex, kick points make a difference for one. I've read that off the rack clubs fit about 50% of the public, so I'd want to know if I among the other 50% before I spend several thousand. Just my WTF measurement and hand size suggest (that I can measure myself) suggest I might benefit from some easy tweaks in my clubs.

The trick is picking a good fitter. It appears there are at least as many inferior fitters as good ones out there? Good luck.

I expect to get fitted for new irons if not a full set this Winter, I'm just waiting to see if there will be significant discounts in the off-season (up north). And I won't be able to use the new clubs much until next Spring anyway.

Edited by Midpack
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Midpack said:

IF you're planning on buying new clubs, irons, metals or a whole set - why would you NOT go for a fitting? Many clubmakers offer a variety of shafts (beyond just flex) along with loft, lie, length and grip size at no extra charge nowadays, and many big chains offer fitting for free if you buy clubs from them. There is more to shafts than just flex, kick points make a difference for one. I've read that off the rack clubs fit about 50% of the public, so I'd want to know if I among the other 50% before I spend several thousand. Just my WTF measurement and hand size suggest (that I can measure myself) suggest I might benefit from some easy tweaks in my clubs.

The trick is picking a good fitter. It appears there are at least as many inferior fitters as good ones out there? Good luck.

I expect to get fitted for new irons if not a full set this Winter, I'm just waiting to see if there will be significant discounts in the off-season (up north). And I won't be able to use the new clubs much until next Spring anyway.

Thanks for the response. I already bought my clubs. I didn't think I needed a fitting until I read otherwise on various websites. Now that I should, I will try to find a place that does static fitting.

2 minutes ago, Old Golfer said:

Thanks for the response. I already bought my clubs. I didn't think I needed a fitting until I read otherwise on various websites. Now that I should, I will try to find a place that does static fitting.

You can also try choking up (or down) on the clubs to see if there are improvements with a potentially shorter (or longer) club.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

25 minutes ago, Old Golfer said:

That's too bad. Hopefully they'll determine the clubs you have are a decent or better fit, it could happen. However, some shops/fitters may be incentivized to recommend you need new clubs...

Edited by Midpack

1 hour ago, Midpack said:

That's too bad. Hopefully they'll determine the clubs you have are a decent or better fit, it could happen. However, some shops/fitters may be incentivized to recommend you need new clubs...

I won't be buying new clubs anytime soon. Just got these and the wife probably would have a fit. Lol.

If you already have clubs and you're not going to replace them what are you going to do with the info garnered from a fitting? BTW a static fitting is really only a baseling to start you off on the path towards buyign clubs. But you can do your own static fitting easily.

You need a dynamic fitting if you want to get the right clubs for you. But be warned the fitter is probably going to find clubs that you don't already own to be the best for you. 

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

1 hour ago, Joeyvee said:

If you already have clubs and you're not going to replace them what are you going to do with the info garnered from a fitting? BTW a static fitting is really only a baseling to start you off on the path towards buyign clubs. But you can do your own static fitting easily.

You need a dynamic fitting if you want to get the right clubs for you. But be warned the fitter is probably going to find clubs that you don't already own to be the best for you. 

Thanks for the info. Not buying another set of clubs anytime soon as I just bought these 2 months ago. I will learn with what I have. 

Note: This thread is 2407 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!