IGNORED

My Swing (sleepers)

sleepers
Note: This thread is 2319 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 1 season

My current handicap index or average score is: 17.5
My typical ball flight is: Mid-high. Usually 50/50 between straight shots and a slight draw. Rest of them are exaggerated draws (yep.. hooks).
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: I have the same issue with all clubs (not even my putter is spared) where I push shots to the right, so it's obviously a swing flaw. Sometimes I push the shots enough to completely ruin my scores and it just wears me down. Feels like I need to adjust this now. Oh, and occasionally it also translates into more of a hook (as stated previously.)

Had a look at my clubs after today session as well and I noticed that I tend to hit the toe or very close to the toe on my fairwaywood, could that be a clue?

The shots on the videos below: "Side#1" is a bit of a pushed shot. "Side#2" is a beautiful draw!

Thought I would give this a shot since I am aiming for 10-12 next season and then single within 2-3. Could you help me assess the biggest flaws in my swing?

Videos: 

Side#1

Side#2

Front

Edited by RandallT
Fixed video embed 9/30/2017

I can’t see your videos, but a push is a good thing and too much draw/hook is not hard to fix as it turns out. Look at the face angle, and or your grip. I am assuming you have a pretty decent in to out path. That fixed my hooks, anyway.

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Lihu said:

I can’t see your videos, but a push is a good thing and too much draw/hook is not hard to fix as it turns out. Look at the face angle, and or your grip. I am assuming you have a pretty decent in to out path. That fixed my hooks, anyway.

Thanks,

Yeah seems like I failed during the post upload - I can't edit my post either now. Could maybe a mod assist in embedding the videos into the post instead or advise what to do? Maybe delete and I'll make a new post?

5 hours ago, sleepers said:

Thanks,

Yeah seems like I failed during the post upload - I can't edit my post either now. Could maybe a mod assist in embedding the videos into the post instead or advise what to do? Maybe delete and I'll make a new post?

They appear to be a link just Youtube. Try starting a video, pausing, then right click on the video and "copy url". Post the url and it should imbed.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

When I click all those links, I get a list of my own channel videos! Let us know the actual video urls, and we'll fix it. Funny thing is that they look like links to specific videos. You can PM either @boogielicious or me, or both.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Bumping the thread, as the video problem has been resolved above in the OP. Here's a copy of them, for those too lazy to go back up to the top.

Good luck with the swing @sleepers!

I'm no expert, but the one thing that jumps out at me is in the Face On view (Front), your hips could use some stabilization. Perhaps look at these vids (flaring the feet might help stabilize you from what I've read and felt):

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrator

How's it been going, @sleepers? I liked @RandallT's points above.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 5 months later...
On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎30 at 7:00 PM, iacas said:

How's it been going, @sleepers? I liked @RandallT's points above.

Hey man.

I've been lurking on and off on this site ever since winter began. Getting closer to golfing season, I should rightfully revisit this.

I have managed to create a centered hip turn, and I am not swaying as much as I used to. Well, I am still swaying slightly in the downswing but I guess that's partly needed right?

Regarding my swing, I no longer push shots to the right. Instead, I've made the remarkable feat of turning a hook into a slice. Only for the driver though. I am regressing! Maybe those single-digit goals were a bit optimistic. I think it may be due to the fact that I cut my driver down to barely 42", not changing swing weight, changing my grip to a slightly weaker one, and using a 50g driver shaft. I am going through a shaft fitting on Friday, so I am anxious to see what I can discover.

With my irons I started to add forward lean (stronglofting) which is causing some fat shots to occur but generally I feel like I can hit the ball a lot cleaner doing this. I don't skull it any more and the bad shots are just slightly shorter than what I expect when firing off. Read something about keeping the shaft in a straight line with your left arm so...

Still struggling with keeping my head absolutely still. I feel like I can't generate enough power without a bit of motion. And I need to work on my short game.

That's the completely unstructured story of today. Guess I'll have to upload a couple of new clips including my irons and the driver since these three were only with my FW5. I can't hit that one off the deck anymore by the way.

Thanks for checking in. I'll be back with videos shortly.

• Administrator
On 4/10/2018 at 9:00 AM, sleepers said:

Thanks for checking in. I'll be back with videos shortly.

Looking forward to it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

Off we go again. Driver first, major slice issues.. I'm starting to miss my hook. I also have a short backswing. I don't really rotate my forearms that much. Tried it at the range and .. it's a swing change. It feels weird and awkward and I can't really get good contact. Should I continue pressing for it anyway? Swing becomes prettier.. and I guess I will gain more distance. What do you think?

First off, normal one.. this is my regular swing with driver.

Below is me trying to stretch the backswing.

And again, below with an iron, stretching the backswing a bit more (thinking while swinging...)

Any ideas? Anything is welcome. I still push shots to the right, occasional fade with my irons. 5-wood/spoon is straight/draw.

edit: um, and.. still dont know how to embed.

15 hours ago, sleepers said:

um, and.. still dont know how to embed.

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/embed-videos/

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

11 minutes ago, sleepers said:

Thanks, and my apologies for not finding that earlier. I'll know for sure next time. You got any quick tips for things to think about in regards to my swing? Heading to the range in a short while.

**I'm not a golf coach so take my advice lightly**

I like how the longer swing looks a lot better than the shorter swing. The impact position of the long swing looks pretty solid IMO

impact.png.7c15021ba3bc134f9ae3e6438c26d979.png

Its hard to tell for me without a launch monitor, but based on the DTL swing with the driver, it looks like you're swinging out to in and then the face is open to that out to in path, so you slice. Its hard to tell from this picture, but based on this you either hit it off the heel, or really had to be coming out to in with the swing path in order to hit it off the center of the clubface.

dtl.png.1706efc80e9874222a6ff1632015660f.png

To reduce the slice, I'd try to swing what feels like in to out, almost like you are trying to push the club out to the right. 

Right now you probably have either F or I for your shot shape, if you shifted your path and made it in to out, you should start to see either a push or a push draw depending on what your clubface does. 

flight.png.b300ebed0da36f349fdd1cf966efa446.png

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood
Irons: :titleist: U505 (3)  :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   :titleist: SM9 54/58  
Putter: :tmade: Spider X

12 minutes ago, klineka said:

**I'm not a golf coach so take my advice lightly**

I like how the longer swing looks a lot better than the shorter swing. The impact position of the long swing looks pretty solid IMO

impact.png.7c15021ba3bc134f9ae3e6438c26d979.png

Its hard to tell for me without a launch monitor, but based on the DTL swing with the driver, it looks like you're swinging out to in and then the face is open to that out to in path, so you slice. Its hard to tell from this picture, but based on this you either hit it off the heel, or really had to be coming out to in with the swing path in order to hit it off the center of the clubface.

dtl.png.1706efc80e9874222a6ff1632015660f.png

To reduce the slice, I'd try to swing what feels like in to out, almost like you are trying to push the club out to the right. 

Right now you probably have either F or I for your shot shape, if you shifted your path and made it in to out, you should start to see either a push or a push draw depending on what your clubface does. 

flight.png.b300ebed0da36f349fdd1cf966efa446.png

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, I have gone from a hook to a slice. I usually start the ball straight and then it curves, so F looks about right. Not entirely sure of how to push the club out to the right. I mean, I can do that if I take a stance where the ball is further away. I usually lose the slice but it feels (looks?) kinda awkward.

27 minutes ago, sleepers said:

Not entirely sure of how to push the club out to the right. 

Think about it like a clock. The ball is the center of the clockface. An out to in swing path is going from like 4 or 5 to 10 or 11

1460576011_outtoin.png.b386eb75f00931641efd0cb013487934.png

To change that club path to in to out, you will need to swing the club from 7 or 8 to 1 or 2 on the clockface

511619512_outtoin.png.fa246e5e0111b37741072bf83d0c63da.png

It's likely you are going to have to severely exaggerate what you feel the swing path is and do numerous slow swings until you get the hang of it. Try doing half swings where you exaggerate the swing out to the right (1-2 oclock) and dont wrap around your body in the follow through, just hold it out to the right after impact.  

You can always put something (headcover, another ball, etc) a few inches behind and to the side (around the 4-5 on the clockface) of the ball you want to hit, and if you hit the other object, then you came out to in, but if you make contact and hit the ball without hitting the object, then you probably came from the inside. 

On 5/30/2018 at 8:50 PM, klineka said:

Think about it like a clock. The ball is the center of the clockface. An out to in swing path is going from like 4 or 5 to 10 or 11

1460576011_outtoin.png.b386eb75f00931641efd0cb013487934.png

To change that club path to in to out, you will need to swing the club from 7 or 8 to 1 or 2 on the clockface

511619512_outtoin.png.fa246e5e0111b37741072bf83d0c63da.png

It's likely you are going to have to severely exaggerate what you feel the swing path is and do numerous slow swings until you get the hang of it. Try doing half swings where you exaggerate the swing out to the right (1-2 oclock) and dont wrap around your body in the follow through, just hold it out to the right after impact.  

You can always put something (headcover, another ball, etc) a few inches behind and to the side (around the 4-5 on the clockface) of the ball you want to hit, and if you hit the other object, then you came out to in, but if you make contact and hit the ball without hitting the object, then you probably came from the inside. 

Ok, I tried that, and I really understand how it should feel. Really hard to do though as it feels as if i can't contain my clubhead from dragging its way out when I put some power into it. But I understand the general feel of it.. any clues? Too weak shaft?

39 minutes ago, sleepers said:

Ok, I tried that, and I really understand how it should feel. Really hard to do though as it feels as if i can't contain my clubhead from dragging its way out when I put some power into it. But I understand the general feel of it.. any clues? Too weak shaft?

I dont quite understand what you mean when you said you cant contain your clubhead from "dragging its way out" 

does that mean when your swing path goes out to the right the face stays there too so the result is a push (example H above)? Or something different?

35 minutes ago, klineka said:

I dont quite understand what you mean when you said you cant contain your clubhead from "dragging its way out" 

does that mean when your swing path goes out to the right the face stays there too so the result is a push (example H above)? Or something different?

Hm, well, what I mean is practically that I end up too close to the body and I can't put power into my swing - when I swing 7-1 like you explained. Like I get stuck behind my own body and then I block the shot to the right instead, see what I mean? Hmm

Note: This thread is 2319 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!