IGNORED

What do you consider the most stupid rule in golf?

rstyle
Note: This thread is 3563 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In a world of computers, instant replay, and officials around you at all times, signing an incorrect scorecard should not disqualify you. They should be alerted immediately of the infraction and given the stroke penalty. If they turn in the scorecard still incorrect, add another stroke or two.

L4V 9* Stiff flex

3W-PW Reg Flex

RBZ Clone 54* Apollo Black Steel Reg Flex

Custom Bionik 504 set for crossgrip

Cart Bag or  Stand Bag

Z Star XV or  TP Black LDP to show off

Originally Posted by jmorg19

In a world of computers, instant replay, and officials around you at all times, signing an incorrect scorecard should not disqualify you. They should be alerted immediately of the infraction and given the stroke penalty. If they turn in the scorecard still incorrect, add another stroke or two.

Your wish has been granted: http://www.pgatour.com/2011/r/04/07/rule-change/index.html

Bill

Originally Posted by Fore Left

Shirts without collars.....

I honestly think if Tiger Woods wasn't playing like he was playing, ranked how he was ranked,  etc...  the tour would have never let anyone else get away with his 'mock-collar' shirts he always wears.

The game doesn't care whether you respect it or not. People do.

And I'm offended by your disrespect to those of us who love the game but don't share your taste in neckwear.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

The game doesn't care whether you respect it or not. People do. And I'm offended by your disrespect to those of us who love the game but don't share your taste in neckwear.

He wears a tie to golf? Now that is old school Bobby Jones era.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

He wears a tie to golf? Now that is old school Bobby Jones era.

Well, I assumed he was wearing a Proper Shirt with a detachable collar. But now that you mention it, skipping the tie would be a veritable slur!

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Well, I assumed he was wearing a Proper Shirt with a detachable collar. But now that you mention it, skipping the tie would be a veritable slur!

Since the tie and coat went out of favor, golf has never been the same!

• Upvote 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Your wish has been granted: http://www.pgatour.com/2011/r/04/07/rule-change/index.html

Does this make me psychic? Or an oblivious idiot that luckily hates that rule?

L4V 9* Stiff flex

3W-PW Reg Flex

RBZ Clone 54* Apollo Black Steel Reg Flex

Custom Bionik 504 set for crossgrip

Cart Bag or  Stand Bag

Z Star XV or  TP Black LDP to show off

Originally Posted by Soxx22

I agree that divots should be ground under repair, but I think the worst rule is the stroke and distance penalty for out of bounds. It should be one or the other, not both.

At what stage would you consider it ground under repair.  0, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 7/8 grown back.

Do you see why the rule is in place?

You would have to spray the whole course with white paint.

Originally Posted by wowzer

Personally, they can make the rule clear, 'If the ball comes to a stop in the middle of the correct fairway (i.e. not the fairway of the 7th hole when you are playing #8) and the ball is NOT laying on grass that's planted in the ground, the player should be able to drop the ball 1 club length, no closer to the hole.'

The rules don't recognize the term "fairway", so they certainly can't recognize the "correct fairway".  The only areas of the course recognized in the rules are teeing ground , through the green , hazard , and putting green .  And when 2 holes share part of a fairway, how do you determine if you are still on the correct one?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fore Left

Shirts without collars.....

I honestly think if Tiger Woods wasn't playing like he was playing, ranked how he was ranked,  etc...  the tour would have never let anyone else get away with his 'mock-collar' shirts he always wears.

I wonder what Jack was thinking:

http://siphotos.tumblr.com/post/27554885320/with-his-longish-blonde-hair-and-bulky

Originally Posted by Fourputt

The rules don't recognize the term "fairway", so they certainly can't recognize the "correct fairway".  The only areas of the course recognized in the rules are teeing ground, through the green, hazard, and putting green.  And when 2 holes share part of a fairway, how do you determine if you are still on the correct one?

Yep.

How big problem this ball in divot is, as on my 40 rounds this summer, I have not yet been in one of them? Neither do I remember this happening last year.

Originally Posted by luu5

I wonder what Jack was thinking:

http://siphotos.tumblr.com/post/27554885320/with-his-longish-blonde-hair-and-bulky

What Jack is wearing is a true turtleneck.  The turtleneck is a collar.

Rick

The rules don't recognize the term "fairway", so they certainly can't recognize the "correct fairway".  The only areas of the course recognized in the rules are teeing ground , through the green , hazard , and putting green .  And when 2 holes share part of a fairway, how do you determine if you are still on the correct one?

How far have we moved from "play the ball as it lies and the course as you find it"........ :-(

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by Fourputt

The rules don't recognize the term "fairway", so they certainly can't recognize the "correct fairway".  The only areas of the course recognized in the rules are teeing ground, through the green, hazard, and putting green.  And when 2 holes share part of a fairway, how do you determine if you are still on the correct one?

The "correct fairway" would be the one 75 yards to the left of the one in which my tee shot lies, in other wards, the one directly in front of the tee.

I've been playing 19 years and can only recall my ball landing in a divot a few times - I can't recall when it last would have done so.  However, I'm sure there is some correlation between hitting the fairway and landing in a divot that at least partially explains why this event is rare for me, or else this reflects upon the abilities of the typical golfers at the course I play to hit the fairway and leave a divot.

EDIT:  wow, it appears that someone has given me an avatar.  I have no idea who did so or who is depicted in that photo, though.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Originally Posted by Wisguy

The "correct fairway" would be the one 75 yards to the left of the one in which my tee shot lies, in other wards, the one directly in front of the tee.

I've been playing 19 years and can only recall my ball landing in a divot a few times - I can't recall when it last would have done so.  However, I'm sure there is some correlation between hitting the fairway and landing in a divot that at least partially explains why this event is rare for me, or else this reflects upon the abilities of the typical golfers at the course I play to hit the fairway and leave a divot.

EDIT:  wow, it appears that someone has given me an avatar.  I have no idea who did so or who is depicted in that photo, though.

Actually, some of the worse lies I've ever played out of were unrepaired divot holes in the rough.  Talk about a nasty lie.....

Rick

I reckon that the dress code for golf should simply be 'sporting'-smart-casual. A collarless shirt isn't a disrespect to the game. It's a choice of clothing and nothing more. Just make it 'no jeans and trainers' or something.

Ofc, I adhere any dress code at a club, but I like to play my local municipal 9-holer more than a registered private club, simply because I can wear what I want. I play as crap as I usually do regardless of what I wear hahaha!

Originally Posted by divot dave

I found this out the hard way yesterday... apparently its a stroke penalty if your club touches the sand before you swing in the bunker? Gotta be the dumbest rule ever... unless someone can explain why that rule might be considered necessary...

I didn't know this either.. last time I went out I was in the bunker and before hitting I made a little 'divot' right behind the ball where I need to hit.. just because i always did this to prepare.. the guy i was playing with mentioned how thats a stroke penalty right there and to add it to my score. I gave him a "yeah yeah, alright" and was thinking he should just calm down ha..

I never heard of it and have been doing this as a pre-sand routine for as long as i can remember.. and btw.. it never gave me an advantage.. i was and still am horrible at sand traps.

but glad i know now.

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

Originally Posted by Goonsidious

I didn't know this either.. last time I went out I was in the bunker and before hitting I made a little 'divot' right behind the ball where I need to hit.. just because i always did this to prepare.. the guy i was playing with mentioned how thats a stroke penalty right there and to add it to my score. I gave him a "yeah yeah, alright" and was thinking he should just calm down ha..

I never heard of it and have been doing this as a pre-sand routine for as long as i can remember.. and btw.. it never gave me an advantage.. i was and still am horrible at sand traps.

but glad i know now.

It's neither here nor there, but actually its a 2 stroke penalty.

Rick

Note: This thread is 3563 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!