IGNORED

40 Putts per Round, Average of 96 (Dave Pelz)?

phillyk
Note: This thread is 2228 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 10/9/2017 at 12:49 PM, phillyk said:

I absolutely agree that if you have 40 putts a round to practice that.  But the average golfer is NOT putting 40 times, it's probably closer to 34 putts.

I was thinking about it more.  The numbers Pelz was giving us did not include penalty strokes, so I'm not sure where he allocated them.

I think Pelz is close to the mark. Dave usually does not speak unless he has data to prove it. Of course, putts per round can be deceiving. Let's say you are barely off the green or 10 yrds away - your putts per round may decrease because you can't get a GIR.

But I had 32 and 33 putts last 2 rounds and looking at my game, thought I putted well - better than average. I had a couple of brain farts - too much manufactured speed - that drove up the number slightly, but that's golf. But having played a lot lately, I see a lot of putts missed in the 3-6 foot range by myself and playing partners, who are regular players. Some guys probably don't take those 3-4 footers - they just pick it up. When you play for a hc, you've got to take those putts. I've seen too many misses and holes placed on the crowns of greens. The real average increases.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...
On 12/22/2017 at 9:37 AM, Lihu said:

I don't think people are getting riled up so much as slapping their foreheads reading his stuff and thos who preach his stuff.

Whats surprising is that he and his followers still believe all the short game stuff's importance even in light of all the physical evidence showing that it's not as important as they think.

Personally, I can't play a hole and hit a mediocre tee shot, hit a so so approach the best I could from where that shot was made, get to 30 yards of the green with a tight lie over a bunker from under a tree, then barely make it in 2 putts and think to myself "If I only had a better short game, I could have saved par." Then the 96 golfers usually roll their balls all the way down wherever that tight lie lands them 60 to 80 feet away from 40 yards instead of 30 and make their best putt to 7 feet miss the 7 footer and take a tap in double thinking if I could only make all my 7 footers.

Slapping forehead at people who actually think that.

If you play enough golf and actually observe what's happening with a unfettered opinion of your long game, there's no way you can't see the obvious. Long game is the primary culprit for high putting averages with very few exceptions.

You have described me and my golf game to a tee.....no pun intended. I am probably a realist and hope some day to shoot under 90 two rounds in a row.....two 89's will work for me....

• Thumbs Up 1

I like Dave Pelz on certain things, but on this one, he's simply full of shit. Where is he getting the fact the average golfer is averaging 40 putts a round. Even if the average Joe putts 5 first putts from the fringe, you're saying he's not 1-putting ever? or seldom? Or occasionally 4 or 5 putting? A 90s golfer doesn't average 40 putts per round, that's not factual at all. I think in LSW it's something like 34 putts, @iacas. It is an SV2 skill, (green reading I think is an SV3). But a guy shooting 96, taking 40 putts and 54 shots + penalty strokes... It's probably closer to 62 shots and 34 putts... maybe as an average for all golfers... Yeah I've seen some 110 to 120s shooters who 3 putt from 15 feet let alone 50.

As an average for all golfers, sure, but he's not taking into account the difference on the greens between a Tour pro and a 90s shooter... Is like 3.5 putts per round.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2228 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!